PDA

View Full Version : SSX 3 (Review)

Brevity
10-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Source (http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/october03/ssx3xbox/)
http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/october03/ssx3xbox/01.jpg

EA's SSX 3 on the Xbox is pretty close to perfection. Stemming from the popular EA Sports snowboarding series, it's hard to convey in words just how much this game offers. Ranging from some of the largest environments I can remember to tight races, open-ended free-runs, and huge trick competitions, SSX 3 offers a mind-bogglingly massive challenge spanning three huge peaks on a single whopping mountain construct. With the new limitless combo system, freedom to do anything you want, and drop-dead gorgeous visuals, SSX 3 has it all … and then some! Xbox owners get a slight graphical edge over their PS2 and GameCube counterparts, but gameplay is king at the end of the day.

http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/screens/gamecube/SSX3/01.jpg
http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/screens/gamecube/SSX3/02.jpg
http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/screens/gamecube/SSX3/03.jpg

MerimacHamwich
10-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Dear lord those graphics are poor. I also must say, this guy must have never played Amped before. 3 peaks on one mountain and he is saying that's huge? I think I will fart in the general direction of the SSX series once again.

ShannonX
10-21-2003, 10:03 PM
i've watched some videos of ssx3, and they looked better than those screens, obviously, whoever took those screens has no idea how to create a "good" screenshot.

I still think i might get amped, but i dunno. It would be my first non racing sports game.

studepaber
10-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Got the game yesterday and played it for a few hours. A big improvement over SSX Tricky graphically and the game features an awesome soundtrack. Some other things I found better than the previous version are the inclusion rail ubers, handplants, nose and tail presses (which can be used to link insanely high combos) and more customizable options for your characters. My only gripes are you can't fully customize your control setup (they changed turbo from b to x and also made x a board grab while in air, needless to say this has caused me to wipe out alot), and in one instance while racing (I think on the Metro level) the framerate dropped considerably low for a few seconds.....but that was really the only time I noticed it. Overall I recommend if you liked SSX Tricky, but if you're a die-hard Amped fan you probably won't like it. IMO it's a great game and I plan on playing this AND buying Amped 2 :)

RudedogX
10-22-2003, 08:57 AM
It's made by EA. Enough reason for me to pass. :rolleyes:

soulhaloty
10-22-2003, 04:46 PM
amped 2 is so much more impessive but still... not bad.. not bad at all

kenji
10-22-2003, 05:24 PM
The pictures look pretty weak, the gameplay is where it should prevail. I will definately look into this game because I really like the first one.

soulhaloty
10-22-2003, 07:03 PM
thatas true

soulhaloty
10-22-2003, 07:04 PM
but w/e i still think amped 2 will be better

SnoochyBoochy
10-22-2003, 07:08 PM
good god soulhaloty, there's an edit button!! an edit button!!!! friggin post whore

shapoopy
10-22-2003, 07:12 PM
when i bought ssx tricky i thought it would be like jsrf(awesome fun game) but ssx tricky is not as crazy and loopy as ssx tricky

mdooz
10-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Why are you all comparing SSX 3 to Amped 2? SSX 3 is more of an arcade type game while Amped is more simulation. If you're more into playing a game that is closer to real snowboarding, then Amped 2 is your game, but if you just want a fun and pretty wacky snowboarding game, then you should get SSX 3.

MerimacHamwich
10-22-2003, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't call Amped 2 a simulation. I wouldn't even call Amped 1 a simulation. It's arcady. The difference between the two is one is a racing game, which claims to be what snowboarding is all about. The other is a game based around freeriding and tricks, which claims to be the basis of snowboarding. Fact is, SSX is pretty much a game for poeple who could care less about snowboarding. They just want a racing game. Amped is more for people who actually like to snowboard as the creativity when it comes to tricks is what snowboarding is all about. I think the comparison is quite valid.

TheStall
10-22-2003, 10:34 PM
I agree with the Hamwich, I will be definitely moving for Amped 2 before SSX.

xturbox
10-23-2003, 12:01 PM
shoot I bought and liked transword snowboarding but have heard nothing about a sequel.

I could see enjoying both amped2 and ssx3...I have both prev versions and while they have not been played in a long time there still fun

Evil_Dr_Beefy
10-23-2003, 02:11 PM
C'mon..have you even played SSX 3 yet? You do more that just race...it's so cool. I thought i would hate the change from ssx tricky..but wow!!! I think most people think SSX 3 is cooler than amped 2..plus the tricks are so much better...In the hearts and minds of the buying public..(people outside of the forums)...even without xbox live......SSX 3 is the king of snowboarding games...:cheers:

RudedogX
10-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
C'mon..have you even played SSX 3 yet? You do more that just race...it's so cool. I thought i would hate the change from ssx tricky..but wow!!! I think most people think SSX 3 is cooler than amped 2..plus the tricks are so much better...In the hearts and minds of the buying public..(people outside of the forums)...even without xbox live......SSX 3 is the king of snowboarding games...:cheers:
As I said in a previous post on this thread...it's EA...that's all I need to know. This game is not worth my money. If they ban Live due to wanting to charge us on their own, they get no money from me.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
10-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Yeah, i must admit this game screams for xbox live....:cry: