PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft claims Korean Xbox Live success

Shadow20002
10-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Small shipment of online starter kits sells out at launch

Microsoft is claiming a victory for the Xbox in South Korea, as its initial shipment of Xbox Live starter kits sold out in less than ten minutes in the online gaming obsessed nation.

However, there's a bit of a catch - namely the fact that Microsoft only shipped between 500 and 1000 units of the starter kit for launch, in a territory which leads the world for penetration of online gaming and has an installed base of some 60,000 Xboxen.

The company reportedly plans to ship an additional 1000 units of the kit, which includes a 12 month subscription to Xbox Live, voice communicator and demos of Mech Assault and Moto GP, in the coming days.

South Korea is rapidly becoming a PR battleground for Microsoft and Sony, as both companies strive to build the popularity of console gaming in an area which has embraced PC online gaming like no other. For Microsoft, success in South Korea would be a morale boost for the company's efforts in Asia, and would probably be branded as proof that the failure of Xbox in Japan is simply due to Sony and Nintendo's home advantage.

Source (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=new&aid=2439)

soulhaloty
10-22-2003, 06:56 PM
thats koool more ppl to play agains :)

Shadow20002
10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Are you trying to get the "most addict member in XBA" award ???

skorp
10-22-2003, 08:22 PM
hehehee... The first paragraph from its source was a surprise... Then it mentioned 500-1000 units only. I dont think its a success but more like a working progress in the right direction.

And a good market to be in... I read about Korea being hardcore online gamers with PC gaming... and now hopefully Xbox Live gaming...

Good News! :cheers:

Lucifer_Hawk
10-22-2003, 08:48 PM
I don't know why, and i feel stupid for saying it, but I would be really happy to see the good old american muscle console aka: Xbox. win over the asian community once and for all. I feel that the asian countries are in a time of crisis, especialy with nintendo and ps2 controlling it. I think it is time for us Americans to go liberate the Asian PEOPLE! hhrm, just kidding, I really am, hhrm...... ANYWAYS! I have a feeling that the Xbox will do alright in Korea, but you know, I have no idea what the hell I rant about half the time, so there is no need to look to me for foretelling things like that ;)

TheStall
10-22-2003, 10:37 PM
I agree, and really dont understand why XBOX has not taken off in other locations (I'm looking at you Asia). It is clearly the best system, and it really makes NO sense at this time to buy anything else. Well, maybe the addition of Live and all the new titles towards the end of this year will change their minds.