PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NBA 2K4 Impressions.

Heavens Gate
10-22-2003, 07:48 PM
It's another win for SEGA's basketball game this year. The graphics are tuned up and the players animate like never before. The bodies look more realistic this year. The sound is great although the commentary could be better. They have a new announcer this year along with one of the old one's. The control is flawless and they have a new mode called 24/7 which is done in real time so you have to have your clock set correctly on your console. Here is a sniplit from IGN about this feature:

Out of virtually nowhere, Visual Concepts introduces 24/7 mode, a mode where you not only play the game, you are the game. Living the life of a baller 24 hours, 7 days a week, the goal is to create your own character, outfitting him with clothes, sunglasses, tats, and maybe a throwback, then send him into training to increase his b-ball skills. Once your baller is ready for prime time, you can then check the schedule that uses the real-time clock from your gaming machine, and depending on what day and time it is, not to mention your baller's location on the map, you'll be presented with different challenge games. The games start out as one-on-one contests with certain rules like no jump shots or no steals, then as you progress and beat the NBA players on their own courts (sometimes in their own driveways), they'll then hook you up with their cell phone numbers so you can give them a call later on and ask them to help you out if your encounter a two-on-two game in your area. You'll also encounter a series of bosses, ala NBA Street.

I don't know much about this mode as yet but it sounds interesting. LIVE can't compete with this baller. Alot of sites including IGN are calling it the best B-Ball game this year. I have to agree.

MeDjai-XBC
11-06-2003, 03:53 PM
k

BORNGD
11-06-2003, 04:11 PM
I love this game but the announcers are horrible! They mess up all of the time on individual points scored. and the intro to the game they will say "The Raptors are going for their 4th win of the season" when the Raptors already have 4 wins...I minor complaint to a near perfect game

mattgame
11-08-2003, 10:05 AM
First of all, what's HG where have you been? Did you get in trouble for beating that kid up? :) Second of all, I only played the demo it looked pretty good, I just had some rebounding issues but that was just the demo. I am going to wait until ID comes out next week to decide on my B-ball flavor.:D

Duke
11-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Haven't played it myself, but silvertrace has said nothing but good things about it.

Might be the first b-ball game I've picked up for the xbox.

Ito
11-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Coo, Ima get it next week hopefully. :D

Sonic
11-08-2003, 04:39 PM
i decided to pick up nba live 2004. i get all kinds of cd damge erorrs and stuff check the cd its perfect put it back in and then start over it really sucks.. dont know if anyone else is having these problems but by the way nba 2k4 sounds i might trade live in for 2k4 later tonight or tomorrow. still havent decided. anways i hope 2k4 is good as they say because i have been researching and LIVE isnt all that bad either. cept for the damge erorrs its pretty damn smooth.

Cottrau
11-08-2003, 08:34 PM
can anyone who has it tell me.... do they have sportscenter and do htye Draw on the screens and dissect replays like in NFL2k3 of last year (and it was crude.. but hella awesome because they tried it...)

DocHoliday78
11-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Cottrau
can anyone who has it tell me.... do they have sportscenter and do htye Draw on the screens and dissect replays like in NFL2k3 of last year (and it was crude.. but hella awesome because they tried it...)

No, no sportscenter. NFL2k4 blows nba away presentation wise. I like live control much better but that is just me. Everything seems stiff and when you take off to dunk the computer, when set on hard, always draws the charge. This gets really annoying and the game seems like its missing something. The gameplay just seem bland imo. Also i would have liked to be able to adjust the camera more instead of having to use pre made camera looks.

mdooz
11-08-2003, 08:58 PM
ESPN 2k4 is awesome. The gameplay is a lot better than 2k3 , but the commentating isn't great, but it isn't too annoying. The 24/7 part is great. I have played it as much as the franchise.

BigJosh359
11-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MeDjai-XBC
k

Enough with the k's dude. You are spamming the board up.

DocHoliday78
11-09-2003, 02:44 AM
Oh my. Live is teh horrible!!1 2k4 rapes, game over. Send vince carter and is crappy game back to the poo hole becasue espn ****s all over it. Go out and just get ESPN. And boy was everyone right about the crappy framerate in live. Geez what a let down.