PDA

View Full Version : Problem With XBOX DVD

Whisper
12-24-2001, 08:58 AM
Hello, new to the board, long time comer to the site.

I bought XBOX, DOA3, DVD Remote, and a few DVD's a couple days ago, and whenever I play a DVD, you can see the brightness fading lighter and darker... notmuch, but enough to annoy and distract you.... is there something wrong with the settings in my XBOX?....thanks

terrapin
12-24-2001, 09:03 AM
Do you have your Xbox connected to your tv through a VCR? Some DVDs have a protection scheme that won't let you watch them through the VCR.

Whisper
12-24-2001, 09:06 AM
through my VCR because I dont have the AV pack, it only came with the VCR cables... thats probably it then, cause it didn't happen with Anti-Trust but it did with Matrix and Jurassic Park 3

LynxFX
12-24-2001, 01:49 PM
Yup, good ol' macrovision hits again.

Looks like you will need the RF cable for the xbox to go straight to your tv. Or you can buy an RFU modulator from radio shack. Either will work for you.

Whisper
12-24-2001, 02:01 PM
i read something about buying the dam cable to go from the adaptor seperate too? what the hell is this... friggin bill gates, couldnt he put it all inclusive... money hungry freak

LynxFX
12-24-2001, 02:14 PM
which adaptor are you talking about? The AV packs come with all cables except the optical cable.

For the RF pack you will need a coax cable but everyone is like that. As for needing this to bypass the macrovision that isn't Bill Gates fault, that you should blame on the MPAA.

Frostberg
12-24-2001, 03:37 PM
yikes, if you use RF, the dvds wont look any better, and they will cost too much. If you dont have a dvd player hooked up with at least S-Video there are no point in DVDs. Maybe the extra features, but DVDs are still too much to be played on a TV with bad inputs.

Whisper
12-24-2001, 04:03 PM
Yes, im talking about the Optical Cable, what will it do to my video? better? what if i were just to get the AV pack will it make look better and stop the annoying fading?

the Audio on the DVD's are great, but no video change, (because of no AV pack)...

so my best bet would be to spend 40 bucks (CDN) and buy the high definition AV pack... my tv is the newer 32inch Sanyo, I looked it up and it should support it... so this is my best bet

Frostberg
12-24-2001, 09:12 PM
if your TV has component inputs, there should be no doubt you need the HD AV pack! optical wont improve video, it is only for sound. It allows dolby digital, which analog red and white cables dont do.

Whisper
12-24-2001, 10:10 PM
i dont have Dolby Digital, just stereo so that will save me some cash... ill pick up the AV pack tomorrow, thx all for the help

Frostberg
12-24-2001, 10:13 PM
ok, just dont get confused between the HD and Advanced AV packs...

Whisper
12-24-2001, 10:21 PM
if im correct theres only 2 XBOX liscensed ones...

the Standard AV Pack and,

the Advanced AV PACK (high definition tvs)

the problem is im not 100% sure my TV is high definition... its brand new, it came out either 2000 or 2001, and Sanyo is a pretty good brand so... how can i check if its HD ready?

Frostberg
12-24-2001, 10:28 PM
umm...well MS makes 2 "packs"...

The Advanced AV pack (for S-Video)
And
The High Definition AV pack

As long as your TV has component inputs, the HD AV pack is great. It doesnt have to be a HDTV. Chances are your TV isint a HDTV. And there are others, such as what I use. I love my monster cable GameLink 400 X for component video and 100 X for optical sound.

kirkyg
12-26-2001, 10:50 AM
wwfraven, i highly doubt you even have component inputs...i've never seen a tv with a built in vcr that has component inputs. Song Wega's and all HDTV's do have component inputs.

kirkyg

LynxFX
12-27-2001, 12:57 AM
I'll add Digital TV's (which is what the Vega series is) to your list of Sony Vega's and HDTV's.

Frostberg
12-27-2001, 09:41 AM
The Wegas are great now, because if you have digita cable or satellite it looks pretty close to HDTV...It just isint 16x9, but the Xbox wouldnt look any clearer on the same size HDTV..

Hugh_Jass
12-27-2001, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg
The Wegas are great now, because if you have digita cable or satellite it looks pretty close to HDTV...It just isint 16x9, but the Xbox wouldnt look any clearer on the same size HDTV..

I don't buy that for one minute. Wegas are nice but to say that there is no perceptable difference between a WEGA and an HDTV of the same size doesn't ring true. At 480, yes, I'd agree it's a wash. But assuming we'll see 1080 games in the future the HDTV will have a definite advantage. At 1080 the game will appear as letterbox on a 4:3 Wega and scaled to a much lower resolution.

Whisper
12-27-2001, 10:15 AM
Kirkyg I dont have a built in VCR its seperate

my TV is a 32 inch Sanyo, made in 2001 :Pcome on im not that far behind i do have the xbox:p

DBXNY
12-27-2001, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I'll add Digital TV's (which is what the Vega series is) to your list of Sony Vega's and HDTV's.

I don't mean to be picky, but I think this thread may be showing some confusion about Wega TVs and HDTV. Digital TV sets fall into two cateogories - Standard Definition TV's which display up to 480p, and HDTV's which display up to 1080i.

Not all Sony Wega's are digital TVs. Wega is the brand name of Sony's "Flat-screen Direct View" TV sets. Some Wegas are analog TV's and some are Digital (HDTV) sets. Some are 4:3 HDTV sets and some are 16:9 HDTV sets.

Fraven, If you can provide the model number of your Sanyo TV set, then we might be able to tell you for sure what A/v pack you need.

DB:)

yall
12-27-2001, 12:40 PM
i hate to jump in on your conversation, but could i get an hdtv that can display in 1080i for around $1500?

DBXNY
12-27-2001, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by yall
i hate to jump in on your conversation, but could i get an hdtv that can display in 1080i for around $1500?

Yall, yes you can. $1500 will limit you to the small (about 27") direct view sets though (not Wegas, though). Samsung has a HDTV set in your price range. Though Samsung doesn't make the best, for the price it is a very good bargain. If you can come up with $400-500 more, then you can also consider either the Toshiba 41" (about $2000), Panasonic 40" ($1899) or Mistubishi 46" ($2000) Widescreen (16:9) Rear-projection TV sets as well.

Whisper
12-27-2001, 03:00 PM
here's all the information on my TV... which adapter should i get?

* Audio/Video Input Jacks
* S-Video Input Jack (DVD or DSS Ready)
* Audio Output (R/L) Jacks
Enjoy a better quality picture and connect more equipment directly to your TV using both sets of A/V Input Jacks. The S-Video Input Jack is perfect for connecting a DVD player, DSS, or Super-VHS VCR for a high-resolution picture. Connect a stereo system to the Audio Output Jacks for improved sound.
------------------------------------------------------------
V-Guide feature provides Parental Control using the V-chip technology.
Channel Recall can be used to quickly change between programs or ballgames.
Auto Channel Programming with Non-Volatile Channel Memory.
Closed Captioning Capability with exclusive QuikCap Feature.
181-Channel Tuning, Random Access and Scanning keys.
Trilingual Menu System (English, Spanish and French).
On-Screen Displays (Channel Number, Volume and Digital Controls).
Color and Feature Reset. Clear all the adjustments and reprogram channels.
Auto Shut-off is a safety feature, if signals are not present.
Sleep Timer (30-180 min). The TV will switch off after you fall asleep.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Picture Resolution
330 lines/antenna input
600 lines/video input
Television System
NTSC
Antenna Input
75ohm F Type
(CATV, VHF, UHF)
Audio Video Input Jacks*
4-(R/L) Audio, 2-Video, 1 S-Video
Power
120v AC, 60hz
Power Consumption
89 Watts
Size (W x H x D)
30" x 27.8" x 21.2"
Weight
108.6 lbs.

hehe, considering it said "perfect for connecting a DVD player" i assume it'll work... but which adapter do i need?

JJaX
12-27-2001, 03:05 PM
The advanced AV pack.

LynxFX
12-27-2001, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by DBXNY

I don't mean to be picky, but I think this thread may be showing some confusion about Wega TVs and HDTV. Digital TV sets fall into two cateogories - Standard Definition TV's which display up to 480p, and HDTV's which display up to 1080i.

Actually I was trying to seperate the Vega tv's from HDTV. But there are actually three categories that the ATSC standards recognise.

SDTV-
480i (4X3)
480p (4X3)

EDTV-
480p (4x3)
480p (16x9)

HDTV-
720i (16X9)
720P (16X9)
1080i (16X9)

Not all Sony Wega's are digital TVs. Wega is the brand name of Sony's "Flat-screen Direct View" TV sets. Some Wegas are analog TV's and some are Digital (HDTV) sets. Some are 4:3 HDTV sets and some are 16:9 HDTV sets. [/B]

They used to be. I forgot that they now make the 13", 20" and 24" models. Yes those are analog. But the others being digital does not make them HDTV sets. Only the XBR series is HD compatible and they will only support 1080i, not 720p. Digital and HDTV are two seperate things. That is what I'm trying to get at. You can't have HDTV without it being digital but you can have a digital set with it not being HDTV. And there can not be an officially licensed HDTV set that is 4:3. HDTV is a standard and that standard AR is 16x9. This is what was decided back in 95 or whatever when the HD standard was created.

But I'm just being nitpicky. :)

Whisper
12-27-2001, 03:17 PM
i started an evil thread :) can anyone else confirm i need the standard AV pack *look a few posts above for my TV specs*

no offense jjax, but i want more than one opinion ;)

JJaX
12-27-2001, 03:36 PM
I said ADVANCED AV PACK. Its so you can take advantage of your S-video. Only thing that could be better than this is a VGA adapter (which does not exist yet) or a HDTV AV PACK (but you dont have HDTV)

DBXNY
12-27-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

They used to be. I forgot that they now make the 13", 20" and 24" models. Yes those are analog. But the others being digital does not make them HDTV sets. Only the XBR series is HD compatible and they will only support 1080i, not 720p. Digital and HDTV are two seperate things. That is what I'm trying to get at. You can't have HDTV without it being digital but you can have a digital set with it not being HDTV. And there can not be an officially licensed HDTV set that is 4:3. HDTV is a standard and that standard AR is 16x9. This is what was decided back in 95 or whatever when the HD standard was created.

But I'm just being nitpicky. :)

Actually, they never used to be Lynxfx. Sony started the initial Wega launch with 27" and 32" and 36" analog Direct View sets (FS and FV series). Later they introduced the first Digital Wega - the 36" XBR400. Yes, a true HDTV set can be in 4:3 ratio. The requirement for the HDTV format includes the TV's ability to properly display all of the resolution of true 16:9 ratio image. To meet this, all the 4:3 HDTVs use some form of "vertical squeeze" mode to properly display a 16:9 image. The Sony Wega 36XBR450 is a 4:3 Ratio TV that is HDTV-Ready. Likewise, Sony still makes the 36" KV36FS13 set which is a Wega TV set that is analog.

P.S. One thing just came to mind. Sony does use Digital Comb Filters in the Wega line TVs, but this doesn't make the TV set a digital TV.

LynxFX
12-27-2001, 03:42 PM
You're right, my bad. :) I was taking my info from someone else that was misinformed. Guess I was just passing it along. Sorry for the confusion.

DBXNY
12-27-2001, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
i started an evil thread :) can anyone else confirm i need the standard AV pack *look a few posts above for my TV specs*

no offense jjax, but i want more than one opinion ;)

Fraven,

JJax is right. You need the advanced A/V pack (btw, the Standard A/V pack is what comes with the XBox unit.) Although there are non-digital TVs that do have component input (which is what the HD A/V Pack is for), your's doesn't. The highest input you can use is S-Video, which the Advanced A/V Pack provides.

Whisper
12-27-2001, 03:45 PM
ok! advanced AV pack it is... wait a minute... whered Boris go?

LynxFX
12-27-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
or a HDTV AV PACK (but you dont have HDTV)

This is what I was basically trying to clear up but ended up going in the wrong direction on a specific product. You do not need HDTV to take advantage of the HD AV pack. All you need are component inputs or a VGA input. Just purchase a VGA-component breakout cable to connect that. Do not confuse this with a monitor connection though. I'm talking about for projectors.

Whisper
12-27-2001, 03:49 PM
is there anything else I have to buy with my Advanced Pack? Is there some sort of cable I need or does the back connect directly from my XBOX to the back of the TV