PDA

View Full Version : platinum hit requirements?

Hero
10-23-2003, 02:16 AM
anyone know what makes a game a platinum hit that way i can keep an eye out..

getting tired of paying for a game then like two weeks later they get announced as platinum hits :cry:

Se7en
10-23-2003, 02:51 AM
It's when they sell some certain amount of copies- It seems pretty subjective though, as Halo is still full-price in many areas, and some of the games PacMan World didn't exactly seem to fly off of store shelves.

Usually you can tell by how long a game has been out- When it gets to be 6mos or so start looking for a price drop, and after like a year, that's when they seem to turn. But other than actually researching, there really isn't any sure-fire way to knwo when a game will be discounted all the way down to $20.

Did you have any certain games in mind?

Hero
10-23-2003, 03:59 AM
thinking about getting panzer and sega soccer slam.. broke down and bought time splitter 2 used..

Xebec
10-23-2003, 10:24 AM
I thought I read when they first introduced "Platinum Hits" that it was supposed to be titles that sold certain high number of copies, thus calling it a hit. But in reality what it has turned into is a marketing gimmic to boost sales for poor selling titles. The gimmic is that they take a poor selling title, reduce the price to $20, and call it a Platinum Hit. The public then beleives that since it is a hit, a lot of people must have purchased the title, so they themselves go and and but it for $20. Generating more sales which equals more $$. I bet you anything that once Halo 2 comes out, the original Halo sales will decline, prompting them to turn into a Platinum Hit shortly afterwards.

Cold_As_Ice
10-23-2003, 10:41 AM
To achieve Platinum Hits status, a game must sell a certain amount of copies; I think the number is around 500 000 copies for X-Box titles. There are exceptions, though. Take Halo for instants. This game has significantly surpassed 500 000 units sold, managing to sell over 3 000 000 units! When a game is selling extremely well, surpassing the publishers expectations, the game sustains its initial price until sales of that game start to decrease.
Sometimes, though, if a game is selling extremely poorly, Microsoft might decide to grant Platinum Hits status to that game to increase sales.

ScottTheKilla
10-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Ya look at some of the games....definately put in that category because of poor sales. Halo is a perfect example of that. It sells great still so they will keep it at full price to make more money. I wonder when they are going to finally lower the price on that game though, damn...

Organ Donor
10-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Xebec
I thought I read when they first introduced "Platinum Hits" that it was supposed to be titles that sold certain high number of copies, thus calling it a hit. But in reality what it has turned into is a marketing gimmic to boost sales for poor selling titles. The gimmic is that they take a poor selling title, reduce the price to $20, and call it a Platinum Hit. The public then beleives that since it is a hit, a lot of people must have purchased the title, so they themselves go and and but it for $20. Generating more sales which equals more $$. I bet you anything that once Halo 2 comes out, the original Halo sales will decline, prompting them to turn into a Platinum Hit shortly afterwards.

Yep...I agree 100%. Thats videogame marketing for you.

CarGuy
10-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Organ Donor, your sig pic is f'n disgusting.. I hope that gets deleted soon.

PapaSKooT
10-23-2003, 03:28 PM
[list=1]
Decent Overall Sales
Sales Dropping Recently
Currently lower than retail pricetag ($20-$40)
[/list=1]

:)

Organ Donor
10-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy
Organ Donor, your sig pic is f'n disgusting.. I hope that gets deleted soon.

hahaha...Its actually a cartoon picture, but when I transfered it into a negative it makes the guy look a lot more realistic.

Shadow20002
10-23-2003, 04:22 PM
At least being old....like around 2 years.

Hero
10-23-2003, 06:10 PM
i dont think mortal kombat is two years old.

Prankster101
10-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Wait Mortal Combats is a platinum hit?

That would be sweet i would go and buy it right now.:cool:

Hero
10-23-2003, 06:44 PM
yeah it is a platinum hit... the newest platinum hits are
dead to rights..
maxpayne..
mortal kombat..

and a couple of star wars games..

Wolfboy_888
10-23-2003, 06:52 PM
i think they put all the crappy games and games no one knows about in the platinum hits then tag on 2 or 3 great/recognizable games (ie: max payne medal of honor and panzer) on the end to make people who dont read reviews think that all the plat hits are actually hits...

Hero
10-23-2003, 07:09 PM
panzer isnt a platinum hit is it? cuz thats the game i want..but i dont wanna pay 30 for it..just to have it go platinum a week or two later.

thats what happened to me on morrowind and amped..

Wolfboy_888
10-23-2003, 09:39 PM
i dont know if panzer is or not just using an example...i read in a previous post that it was..may of been an error on my part.