PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto 3 Lawsuit

Brevity
10-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Source (http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=5418)

The $246 million lawsuit aims to prove that leading retail chain WalMart sold the game to the boys, and that the game inspired the boys to commit the act. Sony Computer Entertainment America, publisher Take-Two Interactive and wholly-owned Rockstar Games are named in the lawsuit along with WalMart. The families are seeking $46 million in compensatory damages and $200 million in punitive damages. In August the Bukcner stepbrothers plead guilty to charges of reckless homicide, endangerment and assault in a Juvenile Court and were sentenced to an indefinite term in state custody.

* I can only say, well sad.

Chaotic
10-23-2003, 08:13 AM
Don't even get me started about this crap. I went off in the OTL about another thread similar to this. :cuss:

addicted_2_xbox
10-23-2003, 08:21 AM
how many times has rockstar been sued for the GTA series?! and isn't 246 million dollars a lot of money for two stupid step-brothers?

StudioAlex
10-23-2003, 09:05 AM
This country really needs a penalty system set up for people who uselessly try to sue, and lose. And lawyers should be disbarred when they try this stuff and lose.

It'll never happen, though.

Brevity
10-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Next time I get a speeding ticket I am sueing Rock Star because I learned to drive by playing that game. Same for when I get put in jail for running over whores. tehe:p

ScottTheKilla
10-23-2003, 11:39 AM
maybe I should go play beach volleyball with some half naked big breasted women and then sue the makers of DOA xtreme beach volleyball for getting a woody lol

Seriously though when are parents going to just start taking responsibility for their kids actions or just society admitting these types of kids are just messed up in the head to begin with. Some people really are born good, evil, and sometimes plain stupid.

TuffEagle88
10-23-2003, 12:55 PM
dumbasses. People are so stupid, always looking for someone else to blame for their faults. I don't think that anyone's life is worth 246 million...... is it the brothers or the family of the victim that is sueing?

LTM360
10-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
This country really needs a penalty system set up for people who uselessly try to sue, and lose. And lawyers should be disbarred when they try this stuff and lose.

I wish that would happen, thats a fantastic idea!

Originally posted by Brevity
Next time I get a speeding ticket I am sueing Rock Star because I learned to drive by playing that game. Same for when I get put in jail for running over whores.

:rofl:
sad this is though, you might win...

thrAsher
10-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ScottTheKilla
maybe I should go play beach volleyball with some half naked big breasted women and then sue the makers of DOA xtreme beach volleyball for getting a woody lol

Seriously though when are parents going to just start taking responsibility for their kids actions or just society admitting these types of kids are just messed up in the head to begin with. Some people really are born good, evil, and sometimes plain stupid. :rofl: Oh, man, what a great idea. Not the lawsuit, but some beach V-ball with a buncha scantily clad Juggies.

This is a silly lawsuit. I bet the parents are looking for a big, fat payday. They should be ashamed, if you ask me. Somebody should sue them for raising such twisted children.

Soon what will happen is that there will be a cap put on $ amounts that plaintiffs can ask for. I've read about some legislation floating around that would call for a $250,000,000 cap or something similar.

Se7en
10-23-2003, 02:53 PM
*Cough* Off Topic *Cough*

That aside, how can you not blame the parents in this instance? If their children had been playing this game for over a year- I'm sure that they would have noticed the insane level of violence in it... Especially when you consider that they're probably the ones who freaking bought it!

Additionally, what are they doing with guns and children under the same roof? I know this is a whole 'nother arguement in itself, but if you're gonna have weapons in the house... Put them where your kids can't find them... and once you do, lock them up safely.

And the last part, 'normal' kids don't actually carry out plots like this. Sure when we're young we have our cops and robbers kind of games, but I know mine didn't end in real murder, I usually quit, and went in the house for Tang and Nilla Wafers. The problem with so many kids these days is that irresponsible parents make video games and TVs babysitters- I just wonder whatever happened to playing outside, or reading a book with your rugrats.

If you're gonna blame GTA and its affiliates, you might as well blame Smith and Wesson (whcih I don't really mind)- Because without guns, the game couldn't be based on gun violence right? Hey, while we're at it... we could sue the Chinese for inventing gunpowder! And then we could sue God for creating men to shoot these weapons! And then, we could... well, I'd probably quit after suing God- You think lawyers on Earth are tough?

Bottom line is this- Parents need to be aware of what they're buying their kids and what their kids are playing. Violent games are intended for audiences mature enough to distinguish between fantasy and reality- Obviously these kids were not, and as a result, everybody loses.

JJaX
10-23-2003, 04:24 PM
I was reading about this...

Is this the jackass who was standing on the side of the highway shooting cars with his shotgun...

Moron...

dd deezenuts
10-23-2003, 08:36 PM
god that bull**** ****es me off so bad. people need to stop scapgoating and take responsbility for there actions. those two dumasses killed those people not a freaking video game.those retards try to blame it on a game. they are insane dumass retards i hate any body who trys to blame things on games, or movies or guns they should all be shot then we can blame it on the backstreet boys and there crappy singing :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

JJaX
10-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by dd deezenuts
god that bull**** ****es me off so bad. people need to stop scapgoating and take responsbility for there actions. those two dumasses killed those people not a freaking video game.those retards try to blame it on a game. they are insane dumass retards i hate any body who trys to blame things on games, or movies or guns they should all be shot then we can blame it on the backstreet boys and there crappy singing :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I agree, its neglect from the parents. And the parents feel the need to find a scapegoat. Its a shame...

destroydemons
10-23-2003, 09:19 PM
they should be ..counter-sued ? for havin such a *** xcuse of their kids stupidity

l Maximus l
10-23-2003, 10:11 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA! This is going to be thrown out so damn fast, it's not even funny...

This is just like playing the popular snowboarding game: Amped...where you can jump off of huge cliffs, likely eat it on the landing, and can somehow get up and keep going as if you were all fine and dandy...and then actually trying this yourself!! Then blaming Microsoft Sudios for your injuries to a friggin' video game! BWAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!

What a joke... :rolleyes:

EHWfedPres
10-24-2003, 12:36 AM
What a load a bullcrap. Its not the game's fault, the kids are the ones at fault here. Some messed up kids here. If the game MADE people kill civillins and steal cars, then EVERYONE would be doing it, not just some insignificant snot-nosed idiots.

People need to stop worrying about violence in video games and start worrying about the people that are doing this stuff for real.

TuffEagle88
10-24-2003, 12:22 PM
the really sad thing is that I'm sure that Rockstar will settle so they don't have to go to court, so the family will end up winning- they get money, and don't have to goto court which means that the lawyers will get less of it. I think that this is one of the main problems and the reason why people sue for everything, they know that the companies don't want to goto court, so they file an insane lawsuit because they know they'll get a settlement.

*Cough* Off Topic *Cough*...

great post by the way. Didn't feel like I needed to repost the entire thing.

Torlough
10-24-2003, 12:29 PM
This is a good reason we should all support the ESA:

http://www.theesa.com/index.html

Douglas Lowenstein, president of the industry Entertainment Software Association, called the shootings "an unspeakable tragedy" but said blaming a game played by millions for the boys' actions was "misguided and counterproductive."

"There is no credible evidence that violent games lead to violent behavior," he said. "While video games may provide a simple excuse for the teenagers involved in this incident, responsibility for violent acts belongs to those who commit them."

Thompson has made similar claims in the past and lost, notably a $33 million lawsuit against video game makers stemming from the 1997 school shooting near Paducah, Kentucky, by a 14-year-old boy.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in the case last year that it was "simply to far a leap from shooting characters on a video screen to shooting people in a classroom."

JediMasterChief
10-26-2003, 02:03 PM
I hate Rockstar as a company and game developer, therefore, I hope they get sued. But on the other hand, it may not be the game's fault entirely.

But the story is quite sad...from certain points of view.

Casper
10-26-2003, 02:09 PM

Yeah, maybe they should just take away their right to breed in this instance. I got sued by an old man who caused an accident we got into...he was found at fault and still tried to sue me for a million dollars...his 5th lawsuit in 5 years...old fart was just trying to get some $ to move to Floriday or something. The sad thing is, my insurance company gave him 60k, go figure.

shapoopy
10-26-2003, 02:11 PM
ther's been tons of threads on this I think and brevity what's with the sig

Casper
10-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by shapoopy
ther's been tons of threads on this I think and brevity what's with the sig

I think he likes me :p

canadianboi3
10-26-2003, 10:57 PM
Sueing for dumb ish in these cases should be a crime in itself. Like I always question whenever violence is blamed on GTA, where are the freaking parents? Everybody has a problem when there kids do something wrong, even if they could of easily prevented it. If you go out and kill someone after listening to a 50 cent cd, or play a violent video game, you have a serious problem that can't be blamed on music or games.