PDA

View Full Version : Has Gaming got worse??

The Xbox Mafia
10-24-2003, 10:58 AM
(Im sure this subject has been brought up time and time again and Im sorry if you guys are bored of this topic but I just want to know your views) Has gaming got worse, I mean I know a lot goes into making games and creaters normally try their best to make the games as good as they can be (with a few exeptions i.e Enter The Matrix), but its things like: a game nowadays now normally last me only about 2 weeks and once Ive completed it has nothing more to offer me. Although I do agree that gaming today is the most advanced it has ever been and that there are some real gems of games out there. And i just mean generally.... so has gaming got worse wats your views? :argue1:

-AVE|\|GER-
10-24-2003, 11:09 AM
I think games have come a long way and now are much better

games like Halo and even vice city

StudioAlex
10-24-2003, 11:28 AM
I'd say it's better and worse.

There is no doubt that more crap is produced today than ever before, but there is also constantly new technology coming out which creative minds work to exploit in marvelous ways.

Gaming as big business has many ill effects because it leads to many presumptions on the part of money men, those who weren't in this from the beggining, about what players want.

If companies figure out that it's not a movie-like experience we crave but the feeling of immersion, then things would be better.

But look at the movie industry. The scope of things that can be done is much wider today than say, 1950, but there aren't as many good movies made and the rate of crapola increases exponentially every year.

The golden age of gaming (the genesis and snes years) is behind us. There will still be good software, but it will get increasingly harder to find it underneath the overhyped and the licensed.

spectre187
10-24-2003, 11:28 AM
vice city was a rehash, im boycotting rockstar anyway cuz the pc version blew and wouldn't run when i had way over the sys reqs, and halo is overhyped and halo brings nothing new that the pc hasn't already brang, popularity does not necessarily mean a game is good...don't buy into hype

MerimacHamwich
10-24-2003, 11:29 AM
I agree with the first reply int his thread. Also, if you look back at Mario Bros. poeple can and could beat it in a matter of hours. Minutes even. There is a video on the net somewhere of a guy beating it in 8 minutes. The reward for beating that game was a harder difficulty.

Now if you look at todays games, record times are like 6 hours, on easy mode. Then there is few other modes as well. Also, when there are "prizes" they are a lot better than just an extra difficulty.

I think gaming reached a plateau in thet ransitional period over the millenium transition. However, now I believe we are sky rocketing forwards in the industry. Games like Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2 and Far Cry are pushing the industry like crazy. Not to mention Deus Ex 2 and STALKER. From the physics engines in those games to the "playability" nothing in the past can compete.

StudioAlex
10-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
I agree with the first reply int his thread. Also, if you look back at Mario Bros. poeple can and could beat it in a matter of hours. Minutes even. There is a video on the net somewhere of a guy beating it in 8 minutes. The reward for beating that game was a harder difficulty.

Now if you look at todays games, record times are like 6 hours, on easy mode

I wouldn't confuse quantity with quality. Much of said hours we spend playing games is dead time, movie from one area to the next, which is by nature a part of 3d. No matter how many times I beat a game like Final Fightr or Golden Axe, it's always fun to play through again because the game is just fun and there is no lag in gameplay.

I like 3d, but I don't think game length has anything to do with quality. Xenogears felt like it took an eternity, and I didn't find it very fun after all that time.

jelgiad
10-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
There is a video on the net somewhere of a guy beating it in 8 minutes.

geez, i want to see that vid :yikes:
I completely beat mario 3 in a matter of 2 hours a while back, w/o even using a warp whistle

thegamepeddler
10-24-2003, 01:21 PM
I've played alot of great games in the past 25 years, and I frankly can't remember a time that was better than any other. The majority of releases have always been mediocre, you just don't remember them because they're so forgettable. The technology helps, but I liken games to books. No matter how immersive, your imagination is what gets you there. The storytelling is what is the key, and thats the ingrediant that is missing in alot of games. Thats true with games, movies, books... and it's really always been they case that a very few are truly good, and the rest are struggling to get there.

-AVE|\|GER-
10-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by spectre187
vice city was a rehash, im boycotting rockstar anyway cuz the pc version blew and wouldn't run when i had way over the sys reqs, and halo is overhyped and halo brings nothing new that the pc hasn't already brang, popularity does not necessarily mean a game is good...don't buy into hype

Worked great on my pc.

Haloo was never overhyped it's a great game. xbox version is my favourite game of all time (i've been playing games 10 years).

tell me a game that is better than halo, i bought it on the release day and i play it at least 4 times a week on xbc.

thegamepeddler
10-24-2003, 01:36 PM
I think Halo is overhyped. It's a great game, and worth having, but it has plenty of flaws. I definitely disagree with people who try to say it's the best game ever made. If Halo 2 fixes Halo's problems, then maybe I'll say that about Halo 2...

bbchs_trash
10-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Flaws and problems?

What are these?

This game is one of the most technically sound titles ever created. I would like to hear one of your flaws...

Shadow20002
10-24-2003, 01:56 PM
I don't know but i like some classics.

thegamepeddler
10-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bbchs_trash
Flaws and problems?

What are these?

This game is one of the most technically sound titles ever created. I would like to hear one of your flaws...

ok, where do I start?

Some levels are highly repetative in design. The later indoor levels come to mind.

The weapons are unbalanced. The pistol is way too powerful. Weapons like the machine gun and the needler are too weak.

Except in combat, Master Chief's unique abilities, such as his strong melee attack and super jumping ability are completely ignored.

While allowing for exploration, the levels are quite linear, and offer no REWARD for exploring.

There are serious framerate problems near the end of the game.

There are no bots for multiplayer maps.

There are not enough multiplayer maps, and most of them suck anyway.

There are too many scripted events, which can lead to embarrasing moments, like Pelicans disappearing from mid-air or floating weapons, etc.

There are numerous bugs involving falling into or through geometry, enemies dying and falling onto invisible shelves, etc.

The Library sucks.

I could go on and on. Lets not pretend Halo is perfect. It's not.

dd deezenuts
10-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by thegamepeddler
I think Halo is overhyped. It's a great game, and worth having, but it has plenty of flaws. I definitely disagree with people who try to say it's the best game ever made. If Halo 2 fixes Halo's problems, then maybe I'll say that about Halo 2... no way man halo is badass i played it since it came out and it is a near perfect game. i have played a lot of games from consoles and computers. halo is the best game ever made, i still play it all the time on xbc

Ford Mustang
10-24-2003, 02:35 PM

ok, where do I start?

Some levels are highly repetative in design. The later indoor levels come to mind.

The weapons are unbalanced. The pistol is way too powerful. Weapons like the machine gun and the needler are too weak.

Except in combat, Master Chief's unique abilities, such as his strong melee attack and super jumping ability are completely ignored.

While allowing for exploration, the levels are quite linear, and offer no REWARD for exploring.

There are too many scripted events, which can lead to embarrasing moments, like Pelicans disappearing from mid-air or floating weapons, etc.

There are numerous bugs involving falling into or through geometry, enemies dying and falling onto invisible shelves, etc.

The Library sucks.

I agree, and I can think of a ton more such as only 2 team colors, but still, Halo is a DAMN good game. :)

Organ Donor
10-24-2003, 02:46 PM
I think that it has gotten better. Because of many things including; online gameplay, better graphics, more realistic gameplay, better games....the list goes on.

dd deeznuts
10-24-2003, 03:23 PM
gaming got a lot more complicated then back in the day. playstation has always gone for lets make as much games as we can regardless of how much they suck. thats why xbox is so badass they got some really awsome games like halo, morrowind ,kotor. but they still got some crappy ones to like kobuki warriors god that game sucks people need to put out good game and not rush them

SPARTAN VI
10-25-2003, 01:23 AM

Agreed, Halo is not perfect, no game will ever be perfect. There will be games that come pretty damn close to perfection (hmm... like Halo), but there will never be a game that everyone can agree on.

Anyway, games have gotten better and they will only continue to get better. You'd have to live under a rock with an Atari to think gaming hasn't improved in everyway. Compare; Wolfenstien 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, Halo, Doom3/HL2/Halo2. Yep, they've gotten better. :cheers:

George89
10-25-2003, 09:06 AM
Well, I just think that it seems eveyones expectations keep getting higher for some games EX: Enter the Matrix, and Brute Force. And when they come out and they are just ok, people say that they are horrible.

MrGuruJimbo
10-25-2003, 10:05 AM
I think it comes down to a matter of taste. A lot of classic games that people loved back in the day, were just not for me. Unlike others which I still play today, to pick one out of the hat, Yoshi's Island on Snes. Now a lot of people may disagree, but it just comes down to what the individual enjoys.
As for the Halo argument that has been going on, I think it is amazing. OK it has flaws, but name something (not just games) that doesn't. For there to be good there has to be bad.

Things can only reach a certain point, and they cannot be made much better. What would you do to a paper clip to improve upon it?

spectre187
10-25-2003, 10:30 AM
gaming has gotten worse, but for the people...

you have these kids screaming noob and pwnage constantly and it really kills the game, no matter what you're playing...it's the gaming community that has became crappy...not the games themselves...

Voodoo_Vince
10-25-2003, 02:30 PM

It's part of the story , The architecture of HALO (you do know that HAlO is the big ring world in the game right?) and when you go back to certain places it does fit tinto the story, just look at you Local Malls they are all the same in some way or another)

The machine gun and Needler are excellent weapons , the machine gun is great for close quarter combat , and Medium range , try reading your Halo booklet , use the Machine gun with short bursts and its an effective Medium range weapon, The Needler is an Awesome weapon to use for that Elite that keeps dodging you and you can't hit him with the pistol, or the alien pistol full charge buert to drop his sheild and then finish him off,

I agree sort of, you only use his Melee attack once to bash a door , as far as jumping I use jumping to get allot of places and not during combat ,

Actually if you consider easter eggs rewards then it's cool (if you don't know what an easter egg is then you won't understand) to those of us that doo the one easter egg and the one funny grunt on the Maw are great rewards

only happens when Im in Co-op and its not even enough to cry about

I agree, that would be rad , but I hve enough friends to have fun

Again each Multi player map has it's own fun, I love them all , even Boarding action ,

again never noticed this and If I did see it, I realized this is a Video game not Godfather 4 it seems that this is just a small nitpick and thngs like this can be found in all games

the only beef I have is when I am somplace with a banshee , like the two betrayals and Im on one of the Ice shelfs , and I keep respawing
on the ice shelf and I get stuck , of course this happens in Video games ,

The Library sucks.

I love the library its a great challenge I have beat it many times , and even on legendary a few times in one player mode , its fun you just have to know how to play it

Okay it's not but it's damn close it's better than any FPS out there right now, , I can't think of any other FPS that has as great of combat system ,

Halo gives what you put into it, if you half ass play it , you will get a Half assed game, if you use what was giving and know how to use it's more enjoyable , I have had it for over a year and still play it almost everyday

MerimacHamwich
10-25-2003, 02:39 PM
^
Then again poeple have their own opinions.

I tend to agree with that guy. Halo was actually kind of a disapointment after I read what it was supposed to be. When I got the game, I was surprised becuase I didn't expect anything. However, from knowing what it was supposed to be, it was a let down. There are alot of flaws.

l Maximus l
10-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Halo is, hands down, my favorite game. No game can come close to it...and hasn't for nearly 2 years now.

I agree that Halo isn't 'perfect' to the technical term...but, it's the best game I've ever played and I have been playing all my life. This November 12th, I'll be 28 years old.

I think the only game that can dethrone Halo from being my favorite game would only be done with Halo 2.

I would bet that I can find 100s of things wrong with every other game and could only come up with a dozen or so for Halo.

LTM360
10-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Yes, and No.

Yes: Games like Devil May Cry, Rainbow Six, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy X, Tempest, Chrono Trigger, Mario Tennis, Super Mario Bros. 3 & and some others are absolute masterpieces.

No: Yet, there's also games that should've never been released such as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Enter The Matrix, The Sims, Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon, Super Mario Bros. 2, & A new sports game ever year for $50 new.

But in the end, I would have to say games have gotten worse over the years. As most people would agree, its Gameplay over Graphics, which now Graphics over everything has become the importants aspect of games and their marketing. I'd say about 85% of games nowadays pretty much, suck.

JediMasterChief
10-26-2003, 01:54 AM
For the majority of the time, gaming has not gotten worse. Gaming has become highly realistic with games that have better stories and better entertainment than many movies. There are many games that offer a long lasting appeal, even after beating the game, such as Halo, KotOR, and many more.

It is true to say that many games are cheap and have a lower quality than many others. Those games are exceptions. It is in the same way, there are good movies (such as Star Wars, LotR, and son) that have received much care from their makers, on the other hand there are many poor movies (such as hrrmm...Gigli) that are cheap and should have never been released. The gaming industry is a lot like the movie industry in this way. There are good games and bad games. Some companies have shown a downfall in performance, while others have shown a rise in their quality of games. Some developers/publishers take more care in making their games, while others just do it for the sake of releasing it.

Therefore asking "Has gaming got worse?" is a fragile question that can take many different perspectives.

Highlite23
10-26-2003, 09:34 AM
I think "some" gamers expectations are too far ahead of what "some" developers are putting out.

There are the supposed die-hards who seem to like nothing, then there are gamers who look at entertainment value and find something good in many titles.

Of course the $50 price tag makes it hard to "try" alot of games, but there are other ways obviously.

I think it's better now, as I said, I just think some are looking for too much out of some games.

I guess my best current example would be Celebrity Death Match, not the game of the year, but for a multi-player, fun, party game you can enjoy with friends for $20...not a bad deal.

Yes developers can do better, but then we complain about games being pushed back :D

-AVE|\|GER-
10-26-2003, 10:24 AM
that is just what i was thinking maximus. good point

kenji
10-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah, they have gotten better. All of these games have better gameplay, graphics, and so on, but one thing that has gone missing from games is some sort of "reward" for beating things. KOTOR is an example that I can't shrug off. 30 hours of gameplay, and no reward? Halo had no reward except a 20 second video at the end of legendary, that was kinda wierd. I think that some people like to be rewarded for their efforts.