PDA

View Full Version : ps2 sales drop

Hero
10-28-2003, 04:24 AM
looks like someone is facing some heavy competition from the xbox.

Sony to Cut 20,000 Jobs Over Three Years (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=580&e=3&u=/nm/20031028/bs_nm/tech_sony_restructuring_dc)

Sony reported a 25 percent drop in profit for the three months to September 30 as sales of its PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) game console slackened and its film division churned out a series of box-office duds.

other info here...
Sony Profit Falls on PlayStation 2 Sales (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031023/bs_nm/tech_sony_dc_2)

George89
10-28-2003, 06:21 AM
In the December of OXM, it said that XBOX sales increased 6%, where as Gamecube and Playstation 2 dropped in sales.

mitch2025
10-28-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by George89
In the December of OXM, it said that XBOX sales increased 6%, where as Gamecube and Playstation 2 dropped in sales.
i guess people r finaly relizing that xbox is the BEST system out

AlBoogy
10-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by mitch2025

i guess people r finaly relizing that xbox is the BEST system out

Well, I wish that was the case, but PS2 still outsells XBox.

-AVE|\|GER-
10-28-2003, 08:02 AM
I got all my freinds into the xbox. i persuaded them to get it instead of ps2s and 6 of them have xboxes and 2 have ps2s. if everyone did this we wouldnt have any problems.

Shadow20002
10-28-2003, 08:02 AM
Be patient...only until Fable is out....the answer is there.

Duke
10-28-2003, 10:41 AM
PS2 will continue to outsell the xbox.

And as far as GC sales dropping, I've heard exactly the opposite. As far as I've read/heard sales have been soaring w/ the price drop.

I'm glad xbox is increasing, but I think the real test will be w/ the next-gen. Xbox now has a fairly good established base, and is really coming into its own as far as software is concerned.

I'm still not convince that xbox2 will outsell PS3, but I know where my money is going.

RudedogX
10-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
I'm still not convince that xbox2 will outsell PS3, but I know where my money is going.
Exactly my thinking!:cheers:

Evil_Dr_Beefy
10-28-2003, 11:02 AM
I'ts nice to see the xbox get so much needed love.....besides everybody allready has a playstation 2..but they don't have a xbox..untill now As far as the xbox 2 and the ps3....i might end up buying them both consoles....In the next gen, we are going to see a bigger battle between the eastern and western game companies.....Most of the eastern game makers are going for the playstation 3 and more of the western game makers going for the xbox 2:D .....could be anybody's race.......

CC-CRC
10-28-2003, 11:58 AM
If the PS3 comes out a year before Xbox 2 like it is projected to. I have a bad felling about Xbox. There going to have to come up with something killer real fast because a year is a long time especaly if it is the first new system to come out. Xbox and Microsoft will allways be playing catch up if they don't release at the same time or before the PS3.

OC Noob
10-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by CC-CRC
If the PS3 comes out a year before Xbox 2 like it is projected to. I have a bad felling about Xbox. There going to have to come up with something killer real fast because a year is a long time especaly if it is the first new system to come out. Xbox and Microsoft will allways be playing catch up if they don't release at the same time or before the PS3.

Who projected that it will come out a year after the PS3?

Everything I've read in gaming mags says all the consoles are due for release late 2k5 or sometime 2k6 and Nintendo likes to think they will be first.

I'd like to see who is projecting a late 2k6 to sometime 2k7 for the Xbox 2. I doubt its a credible source, but if it is thats very interesting.

Duke
10-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Have a link on that CC?

Not saying you're wrong, but everything I've heard out of MS is that they are not going to let Sony have a year head start again. Lauching early has its risks as well, as one of Xbox's main selling points have been superior hardware, largely made possible w/ releasing a year late.

dd deeznuts
10-28-2003, 02:02 PM
i hate playstation there garbage.they use crappy parts. xbox is far superior in every way every body should support america and buy a xbox if you dont then you a commy dont support japan and there plan to take over the world

Uchiha Sasuke
10-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Have a link on that CC?

Not saying you're wrong, but everything I've heard out of MS is that they are not going to let Sony have a year head start again. Lauching early has its risks as well, as one of Xbox's main selling points have been superior hardware, largely made possible w/ releasing a year late.

Speaking of risks if they release with Sony or ahead of Sony they are at risk of letting Sony getting a more powerful machine out on the market, which coupled with the amount developers that will always support Sony, it could spell trouble for MS.

Hero
10-28-2003, 03:06 PM
i dont remember where but i also remember reading that the ps3 was gonna be released a year before the xbox2.

Uchiha Sasuke
10-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Hero
i dont remember where but i also remember reading that the ps3 was gonna be released a year before the xbox2.

I really suspect that all three of the new consoles will probably release around the same time. The problem for me atleast is going to be, which one am I going to get first.

Trento52
10-28-2003, 04:15 PM
ps2 is out selling xbox all the time. Xbox got alittle boost insales because not very many have sold and so many ps2 were sold that there were shortages and nothing can sell like that year after year so yeah they are gonna sell less then they did but they are selling more then xbox still. I hope that they release the next generation consoles all at the same time. I definatley know what my next system will be. Hopefully it still will have the best hardware and stuff. I don't care about backwards capability i am gonna kepp my old one till it busts and then some.

CC-CRC
10-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Hero

Now from what im hearing from you guys is good... i hope they dont let Ps3 have a head start, But i've read at some places (i'll try to get a link) that Xbox2 would be releaced in Q4 of 2006 and Ps3 in Q4 of 2005... it could be speculation but thats what i've heard.

lllSmokelll
10-28-2003, 05:34 PM
the only reason the sales r going down is cause theres not that many people left that dont have PS2...half the world probably has one by now...the other half dont play video games.

warriorboy0302
10-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by dd deeznuts
i hate playstation there garbage.they use crappy parts. xbox is far superior in every way every body should support america and buy a xbox if you dont then you a commy dont support japan and there plan to take over the world I'm a commie, but not by choice. I'm too poor for an xbox. Maybe at Christmas.

Ito
10-28-2003, 08:09 PM
So what, Im still not getting a ps2 no matter what the price is.

< - - - Strickly Xbox :D

Uchiha Sasuke
10-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ito
So what, Im still not getting a ps2 no matter what the price is.

&lt; - - - Strickly Xbox :D

Sorry to hear that man. Your going to be missing out on a lot of good games.

Ito
10-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Substance Snake

Sorry to hear that man. Your going to be missing out on a lot of good games.

The only games ima miss out on is the Final Fantasy's ... but I think I can live with that..

RagunCajun
10-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by lllSmokelll
the only reason the sales r going down is cause theres not that many people left that dont have PS2...half the world probably has one by now...the other half dont play video games.

Well put. PS2 has been out longer and people had alot of time to buy em. The next gen systems PS23 xbox 2...nintendo's new thing will be out around 2005-2006. The thing sony is coming out with isnt to my liking. It has a game system, dvd burner and all kinds of stuff for like 750$ or so. You can buy each seprately for cheaper. So why pay more to have it all in one???? Well if the games are good ima wait a year or 2 till the price gets cut in half like every gameing console does.