PDA

View Full Version : Atheros Unwires Xbox for High-Performance Wireless Gaming with 802.11g

Shadow20002
10-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Atheros Communications, a leading developer of advanced, multimode wireless LAN technology, today announced that its 802.11g wireless-system-on-a-chip (WiSOC) chipset is featured in the new Xbox Wireless Adapter (MN-740) from Microsoft. The chipset enables users to connect to any 802.11g or 802.11b Wi-Fi network and play games wirelessly via the Xbox Live service, the world's largest all-broadband console gaming service. Atheros worked closely with Microsoft's Xbox and Broadband Networking Groups to develop the wireless LAN adapter. Xbox Wireless Adapter began shipping in the U.S. and Canada this month at an estimated U.S. retail price of $139.

"With this new adapter, Xbox will deliver both high-performance wireless gaming and an easy-to-use, seamless user experience," said Craig Barratt, president and chief executive officer of Atheros. "Atheros' wireless LAN technology is ideally suited for high-bandwidth, consumer applications like gaming, and we will continue to help partners like Microsoft develop multimedia products with advanced wireless capabilities."

Supporting the 802.11g Wi-Fi standard, Xbox Wireless Adapter allows gamers to experience data rate transfer speeds up to 54 Mbps, which is five times faster than an 802.11b Wi-Fi network. The higher performance provides a significant increase in throughput, which results in a better user playing experience, including higher quality multiplayer and head-to-head gaming, live chats and other bandwidth-intensive applications.

"Atheros' high performance and standards-based wireless LAN technologies made its chipset a preferred solution for Microsoft," said Todd Greenberg, product manager for Broadband Networking at Microsoft Corp. "This first-of-its-kind wireless adapter for Xbox gaming will make it much more convenient to experience Xbox Live from any Xbox-connected television in the home, without the need to use messy cables or drill holes in the walls."

The Xbox Wireless Adapter uses Atheros' 802.11g WiSOC chipset, which supports 802.11b and 802.11g networks in the 2.4-GHz band. Atheros chipsets support the latest wireless security standards such as Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and draft 802.11i Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) without reducing performance. They also include draft 802.11e Quality of Service enhancements for multimedia and voice chat applications. For more information about Atheros, please visit www.atheros.com

Brevity
10-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Now this is like 4 or 5 things that are being made and or are currently out to do this for the xb or ne system. But they are all $100+ I would like to see one come in at 50$. I got a wireless modem and a card for my laptop but have not got ne thing for my XB yet (cus I really dont need it now) but I will if you price is right.

LynxFX
10-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Whoah, that adapter is actually 802.11g? I didn't know that. That is very cool news. I am waiting for the prices to go down and waiting to build my next computer, but I was going to put together a wireless network based on 802.11g.