PDA

View Full Version : my xbox broke, any help?

Crazy Joe
10-30-2003, 01:40 AM
man, my buddies were playing Simpsons:Hit and Run on my Xbox, decided to play Halo, so they switched the games, turned it on... got a dirty disc error and ever since then the Xbox won't read anything!!! not cds, dvds, xbox games, nothing! anybody have any ideas other than sending it to MS for $150 CDN + shipping??

DocHoliday78
10-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Well you could just buy a new one from lets say a store like walmart and then return it with your broken xbox, but if you dont wana take that route you could call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and tell the cust rep that when you watch dvd's there is wierd pixilation on the screen, game dont work on your xbox but when you try them on your friends they do. It worked for me and i ended up getting it fixed for free with air mail shipping paid, but my friend tried that recently and it didnt work so he just went to costco and did the swap. Hope that helps:cheers:

Hero
10-30-2003, 02:39 AM
makes me wonder if i shoulda bought the warranty from best buy now =/

anyway, you might try reading your warranty from xbox. if its been less than a year and see if your covered for it.

Crazy Joe
10-30-2003, 02:55 AM
oh ya, bought at launch...

mitch2025
10-30-2003, 06:27 AM
get a lens cleaner and put it in and see if it helps

LeChuck
10-30-2003, 06:36 AM
Follow Mitch's advice, same thing happened to me, not my x-box but with my computer. I got a lens cleaner and all worked again :D

Yankeez
10-30-2003, 10:31 AM
i second the lense cleaner it works for most poeple who have this problem :cheers:

Wolfboy_888
10-30-2003, 02:23 PM
and a disk cleaner while your at it..how much faster my games ran was unbelievable

LINKINPARK8591
10-30-2003, 02:35 PM
yeah try the lens cleaner it should do the trick

JPRaup
10-30-2003, 02:48 PM
EB games will give $100 for a broken PS2 or XBOX if that helps

George89
10-30-2003, 03:01 PM
That happened to my XBOX, I just got a rag and cleaned off some of the dust that was on it and it started working fine.

MuffinMan-XBC
10-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Be careful around walmart, I returned a working xbox to them ( i bought a 2nd for a lan party) then returned it, they checked the serial #'s on the bottom to double check, so be careful, you dont want to have the walmart popo on your tail, as to repairs, unless you know how to do it yourself, or you know someone near you that you trust and know personally, i'd pay the MS guys to fix it, providing it isnt modded. I called to ask about what you get, you get basically a "refurb'd box" with an extended warrenty. That's not a bad deal at all. As to saved games, I'm not sure about that policy, i'd back up stuff on a friend's box if you could just in case.

Crazy Joe
11-03-2003, 02:46 AM
to all the people that suggested lens cleaner:

i've tried that, the problem is, the xbox won't even read the cleaning disc.

i might take it apart and try to clean everything, see if that works. worst that can happen is i have to send it in to get fixed anyway.

thanks for your comments guys.