PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting the X box

Furio
12-26-2001, 02:48 PM
Hey all, what's up Im new here and im thinking of getting an x-box

Just a couple of questions, will wolfenstine the new doom and the sim games for computer be ported over to the X-BOX??? Will you be able to network the boxes????

Sorry if you heard thesse Q's before.

Ninja Scroll
12-26-2001, 02:51 PM
welcome to Xboxaddict Forum IS Ninja Jubei!!!

first off shame on you for still thinking about getting an Xbox. My friend, what is their to think about?:confused:

We are all here in the forum to help you out kid! Whatever questions you got we will help you with no biased opinions,... well most of us that is!;)

Enjoy da best gaming forum ever!

VAN
12-26-2001, 02:52 PM
Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Doom III are slated for Xbox release....not sure exactly when. Sims games? I dunno on that one.

WIll you be able to network the Xboxes? You can do that now, actually. The console ships with an ethernet port built-in. Currently, you can use this to link up to 4 xbox consoles in the same location (totalling 16 players) or you can use the Gamespy software and actually play a select few games over the internet.

l Maximus l
12-26-2001, 02:59 PM
Yes, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, DOOM II and, I hate to admit this, but, yes, the Sims is coming out for the XBox as well. Sorry, I'm not a fan of the Sims.

And, VAN was absolutely correctomundo...The XBox can be networked...up to four XBoxes and 16 players all going at it at the same time in LAN play. Also, the official on-line forum will be established this Summer but GameSpy has a nice temporary solution so you can play some games on-line right now without having to wait. Personally, I'm waiting for Summer.

Furio
12-26-2001, 03:31 PM
I was pretty much sold with the x-box, but thats all I needed to get me up and buy it, Thanks all!!!!

Man I can't wait!!!!!:p

Frostberg
12-26-2001, 03:55 PM
NOOOO MAXIMUS!!!!! Dont wait til the summer to wait to play Halo online...It consumes up prolly 80% of my Xbox time...but then again If I had other games besides oddworld and PGR maybe that percent wouldnt be so large. Maximus, I really am positive you will love playing Halo online...and I think you and EVERYONE who loves Halo to go get the necessary cables and download the free software and play. It really isint as hard as some people may think, even the networking newbie can do it. Heres the nice website that tells you how to do everything step by step...
Play Halo online, today! (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml)

Whisper
12-26-2001, 04:00 PM
a few simple questions about online play...

can 56kers currently play? if not, will they be?
what games are currently playable online?
has anyone seen my two front teeth? i asked for them for xmas...

Frostberg
12-26-2001, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
a few simple questions about online play...

can 56kers currently play? if not, will they be?
what games are currently playable online?
has anyone seen my two front teeth? i asked for them for xmas...

No 56Kers. Demands too much for them, so they can never play. MS isint making an adapter either, and because the game demands so much bandwith for 56k anyway, you wont see and 3rd party adapters.
Halo is the only one at the moment where people are actually in the channels. THPS2x there are like 0-5 people there and a NASCAR game has like the same amount of people. Now that people are getting their Xboxes more and more look for the numbers to jump. Halo has about 200 people inthe channels...but it was almost 300 yesterday because I imagine no one could play til xmas.
The rednecks down the dirt road near me prolly stole them from you. See anyone with a shotgun and blue dirty overalls and no shoes recently?

l Maximus l
12-26-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
NOOOO MAXIMUS!!!!! Dont wait til the summer to wait to play Halo online...It consumes up prolly 80% of my Xbox time...but then again If I had other games besides oddworld and PGR maybe that percent wouldnt be so large. Maximus, I really am positive you will love playing Halo online...and I think you and EVERYONE who loves Halo to go get the necessary cables and download the free software and play. It really isint as hard as some people may think, even the networking newbie can do it. Heres the nice website that tells you how to do everything step by step...
Play Halo online, today! (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml)

Thanks, buddy! I'll check out that site...obviously, I can't play while I am here at work...but, in the evenings I could :) Thanks for posting the website, but I'm curious, could you tell me what hardware I need and how it connects to my computer in Layman terms? I'm somewhat novice when it comes to computer integrating but I have a strong understanding and learn very fast.

Whisper
12-26-2001, 04:13 PM
the only person like that ive seen is the scarborough bum (nickname for one of the long-time homeless guys here in toronto)

he apparently has thousands of dollars and owns a house but he is crazy so he spends most of his time in the streets drinking rum.... ahh to be an adult...

Whisper
12-26-2001, 04:15 PM
p.s. screw you microsoft for not allowing us people on 56k use your services...

i read somewhere recently that 80% of the internet population are on 56k... ah well, guess i need to convince my parents to finally make the switch.. any good suggestions for arguments?

Frostberg
12-26-2001, 04:30 PM
well first off wwfraven2k, MS is actually the good guy here. You know how quickly they could get gamespy to cease the online services because they are basically "hacks". Im sure MS has some protection and I think the people at gamespy would have to listen to mighty MS...I praise MS for letting them continue to do this and let other people try to figure out the Xbox. It isint their fault that people on 56k modems cant play. You know why? Because MS did NOT see this coming. Games like halo, you are playing "online" because your computer ffools your Xbox to thinking it is plkaying on a LAN. Now LANs are 10/100MBps...and a measly 128KBps isint that much considering Bungie made Halo to play on a LAN...now for online, it isint possible to play with 56k because it cant handle the up bandwidth required. I think its because Bungie felt there was no need to compress anything, because it is only a mear 128KBps if you are on a 100MBps LAN...so dont get mad at anyone. Be happy that Gamespy figured this out!

Now maximus...heres some quick configurations...

You have a ethernet cable or DSL modem...buy a router and a few RJ-45 cables. Simply plug in the ethernet modem to the router and the RJ-45 cables from Xbox to router and PC to router...

You have a USE cable or DSL modem...This is the cheapest way because you only need 1 NIC and a crossover cable (aka system link cable). Simply plug in the crossover cable from xbox to PC..

Your computer is part of a LAN...Well you can either get another NIC and do the crossover cable thing or hook up the xbox to a hub...

Then after you get the hardware all setup you need to download Gamespy Arcade and Gamespy Tunnel...both are free but you can register arcade for $20 to get rid of the ads...prolly not worth it tho. If you have Windows XP it is very simple because it automatically detects your Xbox and knows when it is connected to your NIC and such. It worked flawlessly for me the first time. I have a USB DSL modem btw so I did the crossover cable way. It costed me $5.99+shipping for a crossover cable I got from amazon.com...you can also buy the exact same thing from circuitcity and not pay for shipping...Maximus, I think I read your cousins gave you a system link cable so that is actually a MS made crossover cable. You possibly dont have to buy anything...

LynxFX
12-27-2001, 12:49 AM
I think it is so funny how people yell at microsoft for trying to push technology further and to the future instead of holding on to old legacy stuff.

Yes there are alot of dialup connections still but that is old news that should have died in the 90's. If it wasn't for the cable and phone companies and their contracts and monopolies we would all have cable connections or DSL and not have to worry about dialup ever again. But that aside, MS is doing a great service by basically forcing you to go broadband if you want to play online. This is called great quality control.

I do hope that their online network is better than Gamespy's. Lag with just 4 people is not acceptable especially since we know we are all on some sort of broadband connection. I believe it will be streamlined though since you will not have to go through a computer to run it.

Hugh_Jass
12-27-2001, 07:53 AM
Embrace the future. The XBOX is a next generation console, not some throwback to the prehistoric days when dinosaurs and Hayes ruled the Earth.

I sympathize that broadband is not available everywhere. However, I am very happy that Microsoft chose not to artificially constrain their online strategy to accomodate the digitally-impaired. Console games are written to to lowest common denominator. That is why the hard drive and broadband add-ons to the other consoles will fail to make any difference.

xBoXGaMeR2002
12-27-2001, 04:27 PM
You have to get it. It is one of the most revolutionary systems ever. Its the funnest system since SNES.

Trust me on this one.