PDA

View Full Version : IBM to Work on Future Xbox chips

Shadow20002
11-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Microsoft and IBM enter into a semiconductor technology agreement for future Xbox products and services.

Microsoft has today announced that it has entered into a semiconductor technology agreement with IBM. Under the agreement, IBM has licensed its leading-edge semiconductor processor technology to Microsoft for use in future Xbox products and services.

"Microsoft is already developing the software and services that will drive the digital decade," said Robbie Bach, senior vice president of the home and entertainment division at Microsoft. "By combining our vision, software experience and R&D resources with IBM's computer and semiconductor technologies, we plan to deliver unprecedented and unparalleled entertainment experiences to consumers while creating new engines of growth for the technology and entertainment industries."

Source@ (http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6078043.html)

ScottTheKilla
11-03-2003, 06:43 PM
hmm...sounds eviiiiiil to me :D

Cottrau
11-03-2003, 07:48 PM
i believe AMD actually already signed a deal with them.... even though this has been posted as news on the front site.. i clearly remember a few months ago Microsoft cutting a deal with AMD to provide X2's Processor.

squid413
11-03-2003, 08:27 PM
thats cool, although amd might have been better, but i guess we'll know how it is when it comes out.

Chumley
11-03-2003, 08:36 PM
at first i was concerned, but then i thought... this is bill gates... he will create the most powerful system... and halo 3 oh my!

Quidditch_King
11-03-2003, 08:37 PM
I have a really strong feeling that something truly amazing, one of a kind and out-right insane is going to come from this whole deal....kind of like xbox itself. the ole' cliché, "two heads are better than one" i think applies in this case, you never know, with this new deal we will probably be playing these games on line in virtual reality :eek:

think about it chumley, halo....online.....virtual reality.....

hold on, i need some time to myself after that thought...

treyz3
11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
I might not be a big fan of IBM, but at least they didn't sign with Apple!

Cottrau
11-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Quidditch_King
I have a really strong feeling that something truly amazing, one of a kind and out-right insane is going to come from this whole deal....kind of like xbox itself. the ole' cliché, "two heads are better than one" i think applies in this case, you never know, with this new deal we will probably be playing these games on line in virtual reality :eek:

think about it chumley, halo....online.....virtual reality.....

hold on, i need some time to myself after that thought...

two heads are never better than one, unless they work together. Here are two examples

Working:
:cheers:

Not Working:
:argue1:

i rest my case.

X-Fan
11-04-2003, 12:40 AM
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The next generation of Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox (news - web sites) gaming consoles will be powered by processors developed by International Business Machines Corp., according to an agreement announced Monday.

The deal appears to be at the expense of semiconductor giant Intel Corp., whose Pentium III processors run the original Xbox that's been on the market since 2001. Microsoft is expected to release its second-generation Xbox in 2005.

Kevin Krewell, senior editor of InStat/MDR's Microprocessor Report, said Xbox deals aren't necessarily lucrative.

"I don't think Intel is all that serious about the gaming console business," he said. "I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a very serious proposal from Intel" on the second-generation chip deal.

An Intel spokeswoman declined to comment.

No details about the new chip were released, and a Microsoft spokesman did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

IBM's new semiconductor plant in East Fishkill, N.Y., currently makes IBM's own processors, which are typically used in IBM servers and other high-end computers, as well as chips for other companies, including Apple Computer Inc.

Krewell said IBM's plant also could manufacture the new Xbox's graphics chips.

In August, Microsoft selected ATI Technologies Inc. to design — but not make — the upcoming console's graphics system. Nvidia Corp. provided the original Xbox's graphics chip.

"IBM could wide up supplying the entire silicon for the XBox2," Krewell said.

gerbil
11-04-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Cottrau

two heads are never better than one, unless they work together. Here are two examples

Working:
:cheers:

Not Working:
:argue1:

i rest my case.

.. word!!

Cottrau
11-04-2003, 06:47 AM
okay, just FMI, did anyone else remember seeing a few months ago something about AMD had signed a deal to supply the beef in Xbox2's Taco?

Xebec
11-04-2003, 09:13 AM
According to the article, the next XBox will contain an IBM processor as it's main CPU, not Intel and not AMD. It will not be x86 compatible and you won't be able to run any XBox 1 games on it. I think this will be the downfall of XBox. Part of the appeal for game developers is that they can easily port games written for the PC to XBox and vice-versa. That is a huge savings in development costs. Games coded for the PC will have to be re-written from scratch to work on the new XBox. People will say that they don't care about PC games, but part of the reason we're seeing good games for the Xbox is that since the Xbox platform is practically identical to the PC. In fact, the Xbox developement kit is a PC with an Xbox connected to it.

Spies
11-04-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Xebec
In fact, the Xbox developement kit is a PC with an Xbox connected to it. That is the case with most consoles though, the PS2 has a similair thing. You can't judge its platform from how it connects to the SDK machine.

Xebec
11-04-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Spies
That is the case with most consoles though, the PS2 has a similair thing. You can't judge its platform from how it connects to the SDK machine.

My judgement is not based soley on the SDK machine. I was just trying to make a point.

iamandola
11-04-2003, 10:13 AM
This makes it sound like the chip issue is still open. Don't throw out your Xbox 1 games just yet...

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6078054.html

OC Noob
11-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Xebec
According to the article, the next XBox will contain an IBM processor as it's main CPU, not Intel and not AMD. It will not be x86 compatible and you won't be able to run any XBox 1 games on it. I think this will be the downfall of XBox. Part of the appeal for game developers is that they can easily port games written for the PC to XBox and vice-versa. That is a huge savings in development costs. Games coded for the PC will have to be re-written from scratch to work on the new XBox. People will say that they don't care about PC games, but part of the reason we're seeing good games for the Xbox is that since the Xbox platform is practically identical to the PC. In fact, the Xbox developement kit is a PC with an Xbox connected to it.

Thats a great point, we wouldn't have a lot of great games for the Xbox if PC ports weren't so easy.

Although, I would laugh my @ss off if the Xbox had those Cell chips with a kick butt ATI gfx card and blew away PS3 with its own technology:D