PDA

View Full Version : My True Crime first impressions

Seawolf1
11-03-2003, 10:27 PM
I finally recieved my copy of True Crimes this afternoon and after a couple of hours play time here are my thoughts:

Lets go over the good points first:

Story- The story is totally the opposite of GTA in that you play the role of a "loose cannon" Vice Detective in LA. Much of the same things you are able to do in GTA (carjack, explore, side missions,etc) are all available in True Crimes. The shooting and fighting in this game is much improved over GTA's method and you can tell right away more attention was put into the action of the game. In some cases when you get into a major battle the game turns into a "Max Payne" type of game with the ability to use combos, matrix type moves, and interaction with objects around you. Firing weapons and aiming is much improved over GTA's method as well with the ability to go into a sniper view for those all important head shots on hostage takers and the ability to spray and pray when duking it out with gang members in the streets. Diving for cover and using objects for protection also make the street battles more interesting as the AI use the same tactics so before you go running down the street spraying bullets watch out for that bad guy behind the benz with a Mac10.
Since you play a cop you also have to pay attention where you drive, where you shoot, etc since any civilians you injure or kill will have a negative effect on your mission.
When on your main storyline missions you will get radio calls (dispatched) to different crimes in progresss along the way. Whether you accept these smaller missions on your way to your final goal is up to you, but they can range from fights to robbery in progress to pursuits.
The graphics are nice, but nothing special over what you can see in GTA. Xbox always has better graphics anyway.

Ok, now for the bad things and there are a few of them. Biggest complaint I have is Controls. The controls are clumbsy and hard to get used to. Driving vehicles well for me is taking a lot of time to master. While the controls are responsive they almost feel to sensitive if that makes any sense. When on foot walking around the camera angle does not stay focused forward when your character moves around. If you have the camera facing the back of his head so you can see out in front of him and you move your character around to face the opposite direction you will now see his face and not whats in front of him. The only way to constantly keep visual on what is in front of him is to manually move the right analog thumb stick around. When in the middle of the action its a royal pain trying to get the camera in the right spot to do what you need to do. When driving vehicles this isnt a problem, its only when on foot.
Another problem is the auto aim feature. It is very sluggish to lock a target. You can go into manual sniper mode to take a shot, but that closes off your peripheral vision and you miss anything going on around you. I will say that firing on vehicles is fun and cool to see because the cars literally have fragments of metal comming off, windows being shot out, etc and it looks like your really blowing away a car.lol
The first mission out of the gate is a firing range mission where you must hit every target, but even when I hit every target I still fail the mission. Perhaps I did something wrong, but I found this wierd. The game gives you the option to continue with the story even if you fail a mission so appearently whether you pass or fail any missions has no effect on the story.
I also found the AI good and bad. Enemy AI seem to do what they should. They are aggressive, sometimes they run-sometimes they fight-sometimes they start shooting. They duck for cover as well during gun fights to reload etc.
Friendly AI on the other hand such as other cops on the street do little more than get in the way or cause you pain. Many times I was run over by cops trying to chase bad guys and got into fights and watched the other cops just stand there and do nothing. Civilian drivers will also run you over so be carefull when taking vehicles, its a good idea to wait till they stop the car first.lol
Last, and this is a big negative for me, is the fact that you cant actually arrest anyone. This is a cop game with tons of criminals and crimes going on where you get to the area and the bad guy sees you and you dont have any control over him/her. Theres no list of commands to tell the criminal to lay down, or he is under arrest, etc. You get to the scene and the bad guys will start shooting and as soon as you fire back they take off running, well ok so I chase and when I catch him we fight for a little bit and the guy stops fighting and gives up with his hands in the air. But wait! I have no way to arrest him nor is there any other cops around so what do I do? NOTHING! there isnt anything you can do. What you do is kill him either buy beating him to death or shooting him multiple times then you get a mission completed messege. HUH? I am a Vice Detective and you send me to break up a fight and I have to shoot both people involved even when they give up to complete the mission? what kind of crap is that?
It may seem like a small detail, but trust me when you play the game and you go to handle a call and the bad guys are just standing there and the only way to complete the mission is to gun them down you will say "What tha!".
Since there is no live support for this game I dont see any updates becomming available for it so no way to add in the ability to place someone under arrest. not good.
Last but not least is the soundtrack or music. No this isnt GTA which is based in the 80s, but they could at least allowed us to use custom soundtracks, or had other options besides hip hop. Hip hop is nice for the first few minutes but then you just want to switch the station only to find out your stuck in Hip Hop hell.
The vehicles are also hard to control and so far I havent seen anything other than cars. No motorcycles, no scooters, no helicopters, planes,etc. Just a few different kinds of cars.

All this being said its still a pretty good game, but some of these things will annoy you. Everything I have said is based on only a couple of hours playing time so take it with a grain of salt, but so far if you were hoping for a GTA killer then you might be disappointed. It has a cool storyline (sometimes to heavy into the story,lots of cutscenes), graphics, action,etc but stuff like no ability to arrest bad guys, the sloppy controls, and camera system make me cringe sometimes.
True Crimes is at least a rental IMO and if your someone who gets a game and finishes the story pretty quick and then your done then True Crimes is better as a rental for you types. There is no Live options so no multiplayer and no updates.
True Crime plays like your in a movie so if you like those types of games then you will probably like it.

Oh BTW- I tried but could not pick up any hookers, I think it was my aftershave.LOL

on a 1-10 i give it a 7

Xbox Owner
11-03-2003, 10:31 PM
wow man,...you typed a hella lot.

I've read the whole thing, and I must say it's a good read... I wasn't expecting this game to be a GTA killer, so I'm not disappointed.:)

Seawolf1
11-03-2003, 10:36 PM
Thanks.

Well I didnt expect it to be a GTA killer either. Lets face it GTA set the standard for this type of game and it will take a big effort to beat the GTA series.

I am going to put some more time into it before I pass final judgement though. My only concern is since it is single player only I will finish the game and then what? no multiplayer,etc to keep it going. A lot of games are like this though as long as this one isnt short. GTA vice city was a long game so hopefully this one will to. Its a lot like being in a movie though.

Xbox Owner
11-03-2003, 10:38 PM
One question - Is in mission based? Like, do you HAVE to do missions, or can you just screw around?

Seawolf1
11-03-2003, 10:45 PM
You can just screw around if you want. As you screw around the dispatcher will try to send you to different parts of town to respond to different crimes in progress but you can ignore them and cruise around if you want. Unless the main mission is a timed mission you can screw around all you want.

CarGuy
11-03-2003, 11:15 PM
How fun is screwing around?? Even in Vice City the AI and missions sucked.. What was fun was the screwing around...

BigJosh359
11-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Seawolf1
I finally recieved my copy of True Crimes this afternoon and after a couple of hours play time here are my thoughts:

Lets go over the good points first:

Story- The story is totally the opposite of GTA in that you play the role of a "loose cannon" Vice Detective in LA. Much of the same things you are able to do in GTA (carjack, explore, side missions,etc) are all available in True Crimes. The shooting and fighting in this game is much improved over GTA's method and you can tell right away more attention was put into the action of the game. In some cases when you get into a major battle the game turns into a "Max Payne" type of game with the ability to use combos, matrix type moves, and interaction with objects around you. Firing weapons and aiming is much improved over GTA's method as well with the ability to go into a sniper view for those all important head shots on hostage takers and the ability to spray and pray when duking it out with gang members in the streets. Diving for cover and using objects for protection also make the street battles more interesting as the AI use the same tactics so before you go running down the street spraying bullets watch out for that bad guy behind the benz with a Mac10.
Since you play a cop you also have to pay attention where you drive, where you shoot, etc since any civilians you injure or kill will have a negative effect on your mission.
When on your main storyline missions you will get radio calls (dispatched) to different crimes in progresss along the way. Whether you accept these smaller missions on your way to your final goal is up to you, but they can range from fights to robbery in progress to pursuits.
The graphics are nice, but nothing special over what you can see in GTA. Xbox always has better graphics anyway.

Ok, now for the bad things and there are a few of them. Biggest complaint I have is Controls. The controls are clumbsy and hard to get used to. Driving vehicles well for me is taking a lot of time to master. While the controls are responsive they almost feel to sensitive if that makes any sense. When on foot walking around the camera angle does not stay focused forward when your character moves around. If you have the camera facing the back of his head so you can see out in front of him and you move your character around to face the opposite direction you will now see his face and not whats in front of him. The only way to constantly keep visual on what is in front of him is to manually move the right analog thumb stick around. When in the middle of the action its a royal pain trying to get the camera in the right spot to do what you need to do. When driving vehicles this isnt a problem, its only when on foot.
Another problem is the auto aim feature. It is very sluggish to lock a target. You can go into manual sniper mode to take a shot, but that closes off your peripheral vision and you miss anything going on around you. I will say that firing on vehicles is fun and cool to see because the cars literally have fragments of metal comming off, windows being shot out, etc and it looks like your really blowing away a car.lol
The first mission out of the gate is a firing range mission where you must hit every target, but even when I hit every target I still fail the mission. Perhaps I did something wrong, but I found this wierd. The game gives you the option to continue with the story even if you fail a mission so appearently whether you pass or fail any missions has no effect on the story.
I also found the AI good and bad. Enemy AI seem to do what they should. They are aggressive, sometimes they run-sometimes they fight-sometimes they start shooting. They duck for cover as well during gun fights to reload etc.
Friendly AI on the other hand such as other cops on the street do little more than get in the way or cause you pain. Many times I was run over by cops trying to chase bad guys and got into fights and watched the other cops just stand there and do nothing. Civilian drivers will also run you over so be carefull when taking vehicles, its a good idea to wait till they stop the car first.lol
Last, and this is a big negative for me, is the fact that you cant actually arrest anyone. This is a cop game with tons of criminals and crimes going on where you get to the area and the bad guy sees you and you dont have any control over him/her. Theres no list of commands to tell the criminal to lay down, or he is under arrest, etc. You get to the scene and the bad guys will start shooting and as soon as you fire back they take off running, well ok so I chase and when I catch him we fight for a little bit and the guy stops fighting and gives up with his hands in the air. But wait! I have no way to arrest him nor is there any other cops around so what do I do? NOTHING! there isnt anything you can do. What you do is kill him either buy beating him to death or shooting him multiple times then you get a mission completed messege. HUH? I am a Vice Detective and you send me to break up a fight and I have to shoot both people involved even when they give up to complete the mission? what kind of crap is that?
It may seem like a small detail, but trust me when you play the game and you go to handle a call and the bad guys are just standing there and the only way to complete the mission is to gun them down you will say "What tha!".
Since there is no live support for this game I dont see any updates becomming available for it so no way to add in the ability to place someone under arrest. not good.
Last but not least is the soundtrack or music. No this isnt GTA which is based in the 80s, but they could at least allowed us to use custom soundtracks, or had other options besides hip hop. Hip hop is nice for the first few minutes but then you just want to switch the station only to find out your stuck in Hip Hop hell.
The vehicles are also hard to control and so far I havent seen anything other than cars. No motorcycles, no scooters, no helicopters, planes,etc. Just a few different kinds of cars.

All this being said its still a pretty good game, but some of these things will annoy you. Everything I have said is based on only a couple of hours playing time so take it with a grain of salt, but so far if you were hoping for a GTA killer then you might be disappointed. It has a cool storyline (sometimes to heavy into the story,lots of cutscenes), graphics, action,etc but stuff like no ability to arrest bad guys, the sloppy controls, and camera system make me cringe sometimes.
True Crimes is at least a rental IMO and if your someone who gets a game and finishes the story pretty quick and then your done then True Crimes is better as a rental for you types. There is no Live options so no multiplayer and no updates.
True Crime plays like your in a movie so if you like those types of games then you will probably like it.

Oh BTW- I tried but could not pick up any hookers, I think it was my aftershave.LOL

on a 1-10 i give it a 7

Post this junks in the reviews! Its Good.

Seawolf1
11-03-2003, 11:35 PM
The screwing around is fun, about the same as GTA I would say. The difference is the little crimes you get radio calls on. You have the option of doing something or just driving around raising hell.lol

Originally posted by CarGuy
How fun is screwing around?? Even in Vice City the AI and missions sucked.. What was fun was the screwing around...

Bakeman
11-03-2003, 11:41 PM
I read in either the IGN or TeamXbox review that you can fire your gun into the air or flash your badge to scare the bad guy into compliance..... There has to be a way to arrest.

I could have swore I seen a screen shot of Nick handcuffing a guy.

I just watched the video's that IGN has up(the free ones). And I really like how it shows you what street you are on. And what street is coming up.

I recongized a few of the street names. Mainly the ones that the Stapler Center is on. I've been there for a Eagles concert and 2 Clipper games.

Question: Is there a map besides the little radar? That is what really ticked me off about The Getaway, no map.

Seawolf1
11-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info and I will definantly check it out. Like I said I based my views on only a couple of hours playing time so take it with a grain of salt. Im sure I will learn more as I go along. Thanks for the scoup though I feel better knowing its me and not the game.lol

Originally posted by Bakeman
I read in either the IGN or TeamXbox review that you can fire your gun into the air or flash your badge to scare the bad guy into compliance..... There has to be a way to arrest.

I could have swore I seen a screen shot of Nick handcuffing a guy.

Seawolf1
11-03-2003, 11:45 PM
There is no selection for this game yet in the review section but I will write one when the game is selectable, thanks for the compliment.

Originally posted by Josh-XBA

Post this junks in the reviews! Its Good.

Bakeman
11-03-2003, 11:49 PM
hey seawolf,

Check out this picture...
http://www.teamxbox.com/screenshot.php?sid=19331

If you figure out if there is a way to do that let us know.

Also is there a map you can view besides the Radar?

ENJOY! (Hopefully I'll have the game wednesday, but no later then Friday)

shawns20
11-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Press the left thumbstick + B to slap the cuffs on them. Flash your badge by pressing the left thumbstick + X as you arrive on the scene, some perps just throw up their hands. If you press the left thumbstick and B in front of a civilian he will frisk them for illegal goods. Sweet game !!! A little clipping here and there but LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE CITY.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3ce32b3127cce805e6164423c0000002510

:D

Voodoo_Vince
11-04-2003, 12:23 AM
I still think it's a little better than a 7 , an 8 at best , its fun but your not going to come back for more very often , and it only makes you wan't to play GTA ,

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
That was a very cool review, seawolf1.....and i like the way..you didn't sugar coat it...or give it a fanboy spin like some other reviews i have read....True crime looks like a winner....I hope it's a long game....but , i'm not one of those guys that plays a game for 10 or plus hours in one sitting...:D

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by shawns20
Press the left thumbstick + B to slap the cuffs on them. Flash your badge by pressing the left thumbstick + X as you arrive on the scene, some perps just throw up their hands. If you press the left thumbstick and B in front of a civilian he will frisk them for illegal goods. Sweet game !!! A little clipping here and there but LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE CITY.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3ce32b3127cce805e6164423c0000002510

:D

Sweet thanks for the info...

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
That was a very cool review, seawolf1.....and i like the way..you didn't sugar coat it...or give it a fanboy spin like some other reviews i have read....True crime looks like a winner....I hope it's a long game....but , i'm not one of those guys that plays a game for 10 or plus hours in one sitting...:D

Gah!! Yet something else I read about but just can't remember exactly where. It was like an interview and the guy made it sound like it was really long. Maybe not the main storyline long, but with ALL THE CONTENT long. If that makes any sense, I'll look around to see if I can find that info.

Slowride
11-04-2003, 01:09 AM
theres negative effects just for killing an old man for cutting your off or shooting the **** out of a baby???? thats just depressing, guess i'll get gta.

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 01:13 AM
from teamxbox.com review

True Crime is for those looking for an engaging title that has GTA-like gameplay, but to the Nth power. If repetitive slaughtering of the innocent by punching a few buttons is what you’re looking for, then True Crime isn’t the title for you. But you other guys really can’t go wrong if you’re looking for an action/adventure with riveting, twisting, non-linear storyline, advanced move sets, solid graphics, and a sweet audio track. Give the newbie a chance.

That right there is why True Crime can and is probably a better game. But it's also the reason why GTA will sell more copies. Because of all the mindless morons in this world.

Sorry if I offend anyone on this, but I'm more sorry you are a moron that thinks GTA is the COOLEST thing ever.

Also I would like to clearify that GTA isn't a bad game. I had fun with it. But no way in hell am I gonna think GTA is the best thing ever.

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by ChampTTU
theres negative effects just for killing an old man for cutting your off or shooting the **** out of a baby???? thats just depressing, guess i'll get gta.

Thank you for proving my point. That is exactly what I was talking about in my last post.

Slowride
11-04-2003, 01:20 AM
wow....you're pretty cool! you must get all the honeys.....:rolleyes:

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Right...

okay so does anyone else have something intelligent to add to the conversation.

Slowride
11-04-2003, 01:26 AM
i'm sorry if my internet banter can't be as witty as yours obviously is. I'm more sorry your life is such that you felt the need to insult random people online for having a different point of view than you. wait....now he's got me doing it. ******.

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 01:44 AM
I probably shouldn't have said what I did.

But I couldn't hold it back anymore. I just don't understand why people think it's the best game ever. I do understand why it's a good game, and fun game.

Anyways, if someone does have the game and has some more info they could add that would be great.

EHWfedPres
11-04-2003, 02:26 AM
I really dont expect this game to be anything more than the stereotypical max payne style of game with cars, so i'll wait for the price to drop to about 20 bucks so it is justified for me.

Seawolf1
11-04-2003, 02:55 AM
ok fellas, I went back and actually read the manual this time explaining the controller layout and what you can do in the game and after spending another 3 hours on it I have to say I was totally ignorant in my intitial review. I should have spent more time learning how to play the game instead of immediately comparing it to GTA.
In my humble opinion this game turns out to be a solid game for me. No it is not a GTA clone. Its a GTA type of game (after all GTA started this genre of game so True Crimes would be the second to come along) but there is much more than just driving around and shooting people.

First let me say the complaints I had about the aiming system being sluggish was a bad call on my part. The aiming system is fine, but what you have to do is go to these police shooting ranges and upgrade your abilities by practicing. Everytime you complete one of these excersizes you gain abilities to make you faster, stronger, more aware,etc
When riding around doing nothing there are always some kind of crimes in progress to go to, but the interesting thing is there is no set way to handle the call. You can be a bad cop, you can be a good cop, or you can be a little of both and the coolest thing is whichever path you choose effects the story and takes it into a different direction.
The fighting and shootouts in this game are downright amazing. GTA had this wacky fighting style where you had 1 punch and 1 kick style to fight with and it got boring to watch- Punch Punch Punch- Kick fight over. In this game you can upgrade your fighting skills just like your gunnery by going to DoJos and learning new moves and trust me some of these moves are awsome. The fighting on the street is pretty straight forward but you get different types of kicks, different punches, leg sweeps, running attacks, you name it and yes even combo finishing moves to really spice it up. When you have to fight another character which is part of the main storyline then the fight comes front stage and the game suddenly transforms into Tekken. Im serious, with all the combos, special takedowns,etc it feels like any other tekken type game.
Also when you get into shootouts you can use cars, building corners, any object you can as cover to shoot from behind and it makes you feel like your in the middle of a cop movie. Badguy takes a hostage? no prob- go into sniper view and pop him in the shoulder so he drops the hostage and if he gives up then arrest him, if not blow him away.
The cool thing about the game is just because you kill someone doesnt mean it automatically counts against you. If the person tries to kill you and you shoot him and he dies then you get credit for stopping the guy, if a guy tries to fight you and you pull your weapon and he runs then you shoot him in the back you will probably get bad cop points against you. Too many bad points takes the story in another direction, understand?
The camera angles are still giving me fits, but Im trying to work through that. Having played GTA III and GTA VC I will honestly say that the more that I play True Crimes the more I like it and IMO it might be even better than GTA VC because of the dynamics of the game.
Its a lot of fun!
Plus True Crimes allows me to be a good guy again.lol

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 03:07 AM
ok fellas, I went back and actually read the manual this time explaining the controller layout and what you can do in the game and after spending another 3 hours on it I have to say I was totally ignorant in my intitial review. I should have spent more time learning how to play the game instead of immediately comparing it to GTA.
In my humble opinion this game turns out to be a solid game for me. No it is not a GTA clone. Its a GTA type of game (after all GTA started this genre of game so True Crimes would be the second to come along) but there is much more than just driving around and shooting people.

First let me say the complaints I had about the aiming system being sluggish was a bad call on my part. The aiming system is fine, but what you have to do is go to these police shooting ranges and upgrade your abilities by practicing. Everytime you complete one of these excersizes you gain abilities to make you faster, stronger, more aware,etc
When riding around doing nothing there are always some kind of crimes in progress to go to, but the interesting thing is there is no set way to handle the call. You can be a bad cop, you can be a good cop, or you can be a little of both and the coolest thing is whichever path you choose effects the story and takes it into a different direction.
The fighting and shootouts in this game are downright amazing. GTA had this wacky fighting style where you had 1 punch and 1 kick style to fight with and it got boring to watch- Punch Punch Punch- Kick fight over. In this game you can upgrade your fighting skills just like your gunnery by going to DoJos and learning new moves and trust me some of these moves are awsome. The fighting on the street is pretty straight forward but you get different types of kicks, different punches, leg sweeps, running attacks, you name it and yes even combo finishing moves to really spice it up. When you have to fight another character which is part of the main storyline then the fight comes front stage and the game suddenly transforms into Tekken. Im serious, with all the combos, special takedowns,etc it feels like any other tekken type game.
Also when you get into shootouts you can use cars, building corners, any object you can as cover to shoot from behind and it makes you feel like your in the middle of a cop movie. Badguy takes a hostage? no prob- go into sniper view and pop him in the shoulder so he drops the hostage and if he gives up then arrest him, if not blow him away.
The cool thing about the game is just because you kill someone doesnt mean it automatically counts against you. If the person tries to kill you and you shoot him and he dies then you get credit for stopping the guy, if a guy tries to fight you and you pull your weapon and he runs then you shoot him in the back you will probably get bad cop points against you. Too many bad points takes the story in another direction, understand?
The camera angles are still giving me fits, but Im trying to work through that. Having played GTA III and GTA VC I will honestly say that the more that I play True Crimes the more I like it and IMO it might be even better than GTA VC because of the dynamics of the game.
Its a lot of fun!
Plus True Crimes allows me to be a good guy again.lol

LOL some of that sounded like a review I read... Anyways good stuff man, thanks for all the info.

Have you had the SWAT team come kill you yet? I would like a slight description of what they do when they come for ya if you don't mind.

Seawolf1
11-04-2003, 03:10 AM
I havent seen a swat team yet, but something that does bother me is when tooling around town I rarely see any cops and when I do (usually they need backup) I get to the scene where they are supposed to be fighting and they stop fighting when I get there and the bad guys start beating on me, the cops just stand there and watch.lol "Hey um guys, a little help here."

The Ai could use a little tweaking

Sheeyt
11-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Uh incase no one has figured it out yet, once you subdue a suspect, click the left thumb stick then press the B button to hand cuff them.

Bakeman
11-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by TheRightIsRight
Uh incase no one has figured it out yet, once you subdue a suspect, click the left thumb stick then press the B button to hand cuff them.

shawns20 was able to fill us in on some of the uses of left thumbstick + *button*

Press the left thumbstick + B to slap the cuffs on them. Flash your badge by pressing the left thumbstick + X as you arrive on the scene, some perps just throw up their hands. If you press the left thumbstick and B in front of a civilian he will frisk them for illegal goods. Sweet game !!!

Evil_InsidE
11-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks for posting your impressions. I have a good feeling about this game and I have a few questions if have the time to answer them.

1) Is the time of day progressive? Meaning, does it change from day to night as you are driving aorund/wandering in realtime?

2) Can you go inside a lot of the buildings, or just a few of them?

3) Have you unlocked anything yet? Are there areas that are unlocked after completing certain objectives or is the entire city unlocked/open from the start?

4) How's the driving compared to games like PGR, Rallysport Challenge or Wreckless?

5) I've never played GTA3 for more than 10 minutes - however I loved Max Payne, Wreckless and Dead to Rights. How does True Crimes compare to these titles?

Thanks.

Chaotic
11-04-2003, 04:16 PM
so really how bad is the camera? Is it similar to DTR type style?

Evil_InsidE
11-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage
so really how bad is the camera? Is it similar to DTR type style?

Yeah, I'd like to know this one too. I hated the camera in DTR. Max Payne had a way better camera.

thrAsher
11-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Well, at first, this thread killed any chances of me buying this game. Now, I'm just plain confused. I really, really wanted to get this, but a bad camera is a bad camera. Looks like I'll have to go the rental route to decide.

Papke
11-04-2003, 06:13 PM
I came in here without planning to buy the game at all, but SeaWolf's review has changed my opinion completely. I plan to pick it up soon. :D

TuffEagle88
11-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Great posts seaowolf, and thanks to everyone who is adding to the discussion. I wasn't sure about buying this one, because I figured that you couldn't really go wrong with GTA, but I think I may have changed my mind. The fact that you can actually arest people is pretty cool, and the fighting sounds awesome, I guess I'll just get this one.

Seawolf, I know that you have been swamped with ???? and I appreciate it, but could you tell me about the weapons? Do you know about how many there are? And are they effective? How about codes? Do you know if there are any cheats, or is this one of those games that is better if you don't spoil it?

thanks

Vteck3000
11-04-2003, 10:56 PM
I just recently today bought TRUE CRIME. I love the game and the new elements that makes it original to GTA ( this is of course my opinion ). BUT I have a big problem :

I don't know how to instal my OWN TRACKS on my hard drive so I can play them while I drive.

Now this is what i figured out and maybe a few of you did also.
You can go to OPTION then AUDIO then choose DEFAULT or CUSTOMIZE.
I choose CUSTOMIZE. Now when you get to that screen you see CRUISING TRACKS -- FAST TRACKS -- SLOW TRACKS.
You when click on one of those it shows you the list of songs that are available including the the ones that are in your HARD DRIVE.
Now you can select the songs you want and don't want to play by pressing right on the D PAD and so on ...........
But the things is that I select the songs that i want and don't want and then I press B for " back " ?????????

Then I choose CUSTOMIZE then hit B again and so on ..........
to re-continue to play the game
But when i get inot a car I don't ge any of the songs THAT I SELECTED ???????????
I did this for hours and hours and still it didn't work.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to select my OWN SONGS. This way when I drive I can listen to my music.

Thank you.

Vteck3000
11-05-2003, 09:41 AM
OK so I figured out what to do.
If the circle next to the song is empty then it won't play.
If the circle next to the song is full ( in white ) then it will play that song.
BUT the problem is worst now..............
Why ????????
Because it will and ONLY play the first song that you have selected.
I played 3 hours yesterday and everytime I got into a car the same song was playing and even at the end of the song the song was REPLAYING AGAIN.
It's a loop.
IT cannot and go on random just like the DEFAULT songs.

So in other words IT'S FALSE CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK.

The only way to listen to a different song from your ripped music is to de-select the first song and then the next song after that will play forever unitl you de-select it again and it will play the next song that was selected.

THAT'S STUPID.

THE GAME SUCKS because of that. False advertisement is the worst way to sell something.

Sorry but Activision has lost my respect.
:cuss:

leebuck2
11-05-2003, 10:00 AM
I am not going to read the rest of the posts but there is a way to arrest the people. You click the left thumbstick and hold it down and then press B.

TuffEagle88
11-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by leebuck2
I am not going to read the rest of the posts but there is a way to arrest the people. You click the left thumbstick and hold it down and then press B.

yea you are the third one to post that here. you can also flash your badge by pressing x instead of b, as someone also already posted.

Conchord
11-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks.

Well I didnt expect it to be a GTA killer either. Lets face it GTA set the standard for this type of game and it will take a big effort to beat the GTA series.

I am going to put some more time into it before I pass final judgement though. My only concern is since it is single player only I will finish the game and then what? no multiplayer,etc to keep it going. A lot of games are like this though as long as this one isnt short. GTA vice city was a long game so hopefully this one will to. Its a lot like being in a movie though.

No game will ever beat GTA. Not that they won't be better, but its already been done, and any other game will be deemed as 'GTA-like.' Same goes for Goldeneye and Halo in the shooter genre. People will always compare new shooters to Halo, and all time bests to Goldeneye, even if they are better.

So is this game worth it? I hated Dead to Rights compared to Max Payne, so will I be wasting 50 bucks? And can you explore all 200-300 square miles of LA right off the bat?

leebuck2
11-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TuffEagle88

yea you are the third one to post that here. you can also flash your badge by pressing x instead of b, as someone also already posted.

That's why I wrote that I wasn't going to read the rest of the post. Thanks for the badge tip though. I didn't know about that.

leebuck2
11-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by xbocks

No game will ever beat GTA. Not that they won't be better, but its already been done, and any other game will be deemed as 'GTA-like.' Same goes for Goldeneye and Halo in the shooter genre. People will always compare new shooters to Halo, and all time bests to Goldeneye, even if they are better.

So is this game worth it? I hated Dead to Rights compared to Max Payne, so will I be wasting 50 bucks? And can you explore all 200-300 square miles of LA right off the bat?

Yes you can explore the whole damn thing and I think it's worth it because of alot of the differences.

TuffEagle88
11-05-2003, 03:49 PM
how about vehicles? what kind do you have? any cool stunts that you can do on them? any jumps ne1 has found yet.

leebuck2
11-05-2003, 04:00 PM
how about vehicles? what kind do you have? any cool stunts that you can do on them? any jumps ne1 has found yet.

You can pretty much get any vehicle you want right from the start by car jacking someone. I have seen a whole bunch of stuff like Ferrari's, civic's, rice burner civics, acuras, hummers, avalaches, volkswagons etc. I found a bad ass jump last night but I couldn't tell you where. I was just exploring.

TuffEagle88
11-05-2003, 04:24 PM
sounds cool, I'll probably pick it up. I've heard other people complaining about bugs and crashes. Have you had any of these problems?

leebuck2
11-05-2003, 04:32 PM
sounds cool, I'll probably pick it up. I've heard other people complaining about bugs and crashes. Have you had any of these problems?

Actually yes but only once. Right when I put it in I started driving a car and the game froze on me. Other than that time no.

Bakeman
11-05-2003, 08:02 PM
People read the instructions....

PAGE 15
Arresting a Perp

Most suspects will surrender when you flash your badge (press the left thumbstick + X Button). More hostile situations call for a warning shot(press the left thumbstick + the right trigger). However, many perps will put up a fight or run for it. After you defeat an opponent, stand over their unconscious body and press the left thumbstick button + the B button to slap the cuffs on and place them under arrest, awarding you additional points. You can also attempt to identify civilians carrying illegal goods. Pre the left thumbstick button + the B button to frisk civilians.

My friend came over and laguhed at me for reading the instructions to find out how to play a game I had just gotten.

Well he came over to play True Crime yesterday and he didn't know how to do alot of stuff and I had to help him way to much.

Peeps just need to read instructions and not think it's stupid do so.

OC Noob
11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Sounds like a very cool game.

It would seem a lot of people are (not in this thread) writing the game off after playing it for only a short time. I guess if you don't hand people everything right off the bat they think things suck. It also seems as though this game has a lot of depth and rewards those who put some time into it.

After all the initial rants about how much better GTA is its good to see an informed opinion rather then a bunch of knee jerk reactions.

I am pleasenatly surprized at the depth of this game.

Thanks for all the great info.

Heavens Gate
11-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Vteck3000
OK so I figured out what to do.
If the circle next to the song is empty then it won't play.
If the circle next to the song is full ( in white ) then it will play that song.
BUT the problem is worst now..............
Why ????????
Because it will and ONLY play the first song that you have selected.
I played 3 hours yesterday and everytime I got into a car the same song was playing and even at the end of the song the song was REPLAYING AGAIN.
It's a loop.
IT cannot and go on random just like the DEFAULT songs.

So in other words IT'S FALSE CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK.

The only way to listen to a different song from your ripped music is to de-select the first song and then the next song after that will play forever unitl you de-select it again and it will play the next song that was selected.

THAT'S STUPID.

THE GAME SUCKS because of that. False advertisement is the worst way to sell something.

Sorry but Activision has lost my respect.
:cuss:

Here's what you do. Don't have you custom soundtracks all in one list meaning don't mix say eminem with a bunch of others. Lable different soundtracks like

eminem and have one for say, Nelly and etc, etc,. Then when you choose customize and pick those songs from DIFFERENT soundtracks, it won't loop the same song. Same thing happened in Burnout 2.

Conchord
11-12-2003, 03:24 PM
This game is crazy awesome! I cannot believe how big the level is! I went from one side of Interstate 10 to the other, and it took me 30 minutes, going 140 in one of those riced out Civics...shweetness..The only problem is the missions are too short, too easy, or just plain stupid. I swear, I was going into fight mode every 2 seconds, and when your driving, theres random street crimes happeneing, and if you dont VEER off course and get to tha crime, your stats go down...agh! And I wish you could have your own collection of cars in your garage instead of unlocking them...though the Italian racer is pretty tight...

Bakeman
11-12-2003, 03:28 PM
This game is crazy awesome! I cannot believe how big the level is! I went from one side of Interstate 10 to the other, and it took me 30 minutes, going 140 in one of those riced out Civics...shweetness..The only problem is the missions are too short, too easy, or just plain stupid. I swear, I was going into fight mode every 2 seconds, and when your driving, theres random street crimes happeneing, and if you dont VEER off course and get to tha crime, your stats go down...agh! And I wish you could have your own collection of cars in your garage instead of unlocking them...though the Italian racer is pretty tight...

What are you talking about your stats go down if you don't get to the crime?!?!?!!?!?!

Random crimes are optional. It says so in the game. If you don't want to do it nothing happens to you. I've skipped numerous crimes and had no negative affect.

Conchord
11-12-2003, 03:46 PM

What are you talking about your stats go down if you don't get to the crime?!?!?!!?!?!

Random crimes are optional. It says so in the game. If you don't want to do it nothing happens to you. I've skipped numerous crimes and had no negative affect.

Look at player stats in the menu. Youll see what I mean.

Heybuddybuddy
11-12-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm really enjoying the game, I like the way you can aim at someone and shoot them in the leg or arm to stop them (+ be a good cop) or shoot them in the head (+ be a bad cop :D )

Having more fun with it than I thought I would!!

Bakeman
11-12-2003, 09:34 PM

Look at player stats in the menu. Youll see what I mean.

Alright I'll check it out...

I never looked around the stats much. Only to see the stuff I unlocked.

Conchord
11-13-2003, 03:07 PM
BTW what kinds of guns do you unlock for nick....so far Ive only gotten some 40 mags revolvers, Ive been using my bonus cruisin mode to unlock cars...

Bakeman
11-13-2003, 03:15 PM
the 4th gun is a .50 cal

Conchord
11-13-2003, 03:21 PM
the 4th gun is a .50 cal

Is that a Desert Eagle?

Bakeman
11-13-2003, 03:36 PM
it just says .50 cal

Conchord
11-13-2003, 05:24 PM
it just says .50 cal

oOoOo...cool, im sick of these revolvers...

monkeytoot
11-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Um i dunno if anyones noticed, but this games like a rpg, it goes so many diffrent ways, and thats wut makes it so bad ass! I mean it has like 3 diffrent ways to play and beat the entire game, 5 or so diffrent endings all depending on if ur a good cop/bad cop or if u completed all the missions..Say for instance you dont complete a missions and you choose to skip it, it goes into a completely diffrent cut sene and story and missions! Just start you a new game and purposly dont complete any of the missions and continue on with the story and see wut im talking about. This is the future of games, and the GTA series better catch up cause rite now they cant touch truecrime, and only thos who have played this game and fully understand all the options you have and ways you can go would agree.

If you have beatin the whole game without having any failed missions your probably only a quarter into the game as a whole.

TuffEagle88
11-15-2003, 10:46 AM
What are you talking about your stats go down if you don't get to the crime?!?!?!!?!?!...

I've read that you can turn off your radio and then it won't hurt your stats. I don't know how, but you should be able to turn the radio operator off so that you won't here them and it won't count against you.

Bakeman
11-15-2003, 10:54 AM
That stat he talked about is just a stat showing how many random crimes happened, and how many you did.

IT DOES NOT MATTER. It will not hurt you in any way.

The Terminator
11-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have problems with this game constantly crashing? Because I rented it 2 days ago, and in those 2 days, I have seen more crashes from this game than I have from every single Xbox game I've ever played!

Bakeman
11-16-2003, 01:56 PM
It frooze on me twice while I was playing throughout the entire game.

And it frooze once on my friend while he was playing.

Cyclone
11-22-2003, 02:31 AM
Are any of you guys experiencing any problems with bugs in this game? The ambient sound cuts out quite a bit for me, textures disappear, a lot of weird stuff happens. The main thing thats annoying to me is I shoot out a window, it disappers and reappears again. O_o

imo GTA is much better than this game. I feel my money would have been better spent somewhere else. There is always ebay though ;D I fell for the hype ;\

Bakeman
11-22-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Cyclone
Are any of you guys experiencing any problems with bugs in this game? The ambient sound cuts out quite a bit for me, textures disappear, a lot of weird stuff happens. The main thing thats annoying to me is I shoot out a window, it disappers and reappears again. O_o

imo GTA is much better than this game. I feel my money would have been better spent somewhere else. There is always ebay though ;D I fell for the hype ;\

Nope

The only thing weird with grahpics I noticed is when I'd shoot a car anywhere BUT the window.. the window would still break.

OC Noob
11-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Cyclone

If you can get you issues resolved, play it for a while. If you like depth in a game you'll like it better then GTA. If you want simplicity, well then GTA would have been a better choice.

Good luck with your technical issues.

ARONO129
11-23-2003, 12:32 PM
from teamxbox.com review

That right there is why True Crime can and is probably a better game. But it's also the reason why GTA will sell more copies. Because of all the mindless morons in this world.

Sorry if I offend anyone on this, but I'm more sorry you are a moron that thinks GTA is the COOLEST thing ever.

Also I would like to clearify that GTA isn't a bad game. I had fun with it. But no way in hell am I gonna think GTA is the best thing ever.

I think the GTA DP is excellent and I don't consider myself a "mindless moron". Even though the games are not new releases they are solid games that set the standard for this type of game.

At $50 USD for two games it's an excellent value. I don't think GTA is the "COOLEST" thing ever but I am smart enough to appreciate the fact that this amazing game is found it's way to the Xbox. I said it before it's like the PS2 getting Halo.

So please think before you make a blanket statement calling fans of this game "mindless morons" and in turn nobody will think of you as a spoiled brat.

BTW here is a link to 10 sites that game GTA DP a combined score of 95\100. True Crime so far scored a combined score of 84\100.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox/grandtheftautodoublepack/

OC Noob
11-24-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by ARONO129

I think the GTA DP is excellent and I don't consider myself a "mindless moron". Even though the games are not new releases they are solid games that set the standard for this type of game.

At $50 USD for two games it's an excellent value. I don't think GTA is the "COOLEST" thing ever but I am smart enough to appreciate the fact that this amazing game is found it's way to the Xbox. I said it before it's like the PS2 getting Halo.

So please think before you make a blanket statement calling fans of this game "mindless morons" and in turn nobody will think of you as a spoiled brat.

BTW here is a link to 10 sites that game GTA DP a combined score of 95\100. True Crime so far scored a combined score of 84\100.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox/grandtheftautodoublepack/

I agree with what you said other then the compairing the combine scores. There is so much GTA fanboyism out there and unfortunately, game reviewers aren't above it. There is so much hype around GTA that some people (a surprizing amount IMO) see a clone and want to bash it just because its a "threat" to their favorite game. Dealing with these people is a bit frustrating and I think his statement was targeted at them and not you.

TC takes the GTA formula and adds more city, more fighting abilities, more ways to play (branching story line), more depth in general. I've played VC through on the PC and really can't figure out why people who gave VC 9.5/10 are giving TC 7/10 other then the fact that they are in some way biased.

There are so many people saying TC sucks that even admit to not playing it or just playing it for like 5 minutes its crazy.

I think GTA is a great series and like you enjoy it for what it is, but if you haven't tried TC give it a chance. If you like GTA for more then hookers and running around killing everyone you see, you should really like TC and the depth it brings to the genre.

Its even good for the GTA fanboys who will never play TC. The bar has just been raised a bit and it should make Rockstar work that much harder on GTA5.

I've been thinking a lot about the GTA phenomenon and honestly, its easy to get sucked in to the most hyped game ever. I'm sure we can all name games that are better, but its the #2 selling series of all time (second only to the Sims games which everyones mother, brother and sister play)?!?! It ain't that good. I think because its a very good game and its got the whole forbidden fruit thing going for it, like Rock n' Roll did in the 50's, that its rather overrated and some people feel the need to prove its the best thing ever and defend it to the point of ignorance.

Really, Legend of Zelda (which is much more of an action game then an RPG) did the whole free roaming thing back on NES and Adventure for the Atari 2600 did it before Zelda. GTA gets the honors of bringing us the free roaming action game of the 3D era (somewhat debatable), has a cinema quality story line, created a sub-genre in action games, changed the way we look at a lot of games and is tons of fun to boot, but its not like Rockstar invented the wheel. The original Super Mario Bros. did just as much, if not more for gaming, it just didn't have hookers and involve mass murders:D

Bakeman
11-24-2003, 03:10 AM
Pretty much exactly what OC Noob said.

I even said I thought GTA is a decent game.

It's just so many people just go kill hookers in the game, and do a bunch of mindless crap and NEVER even play the game and do the mission and stuff. And many of them think it's the greatest game of all time.

Conchord
11-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Pretty much exactly what OC Noob said.

I even said I thought GTA is a decent game.

It's just so many people just go kill hookers in the game, and do a bunch of mindless crap and NEVER even play the game and do the mission and stuff. And many of them think it's the greatest game of all time.

I think the freedom of choice and ability to explore it why people like GTA III so much. You can do whatever you want, instead of following linear missions....sure, you won't progress, but sometimes you just wanna drive and kill civies...I like GTA because there are so many different missions...I'll be doing hits for the mafia and in between missions, the Diablos call via payphone and give me missions...in TC, there really arent that many side missions, just bonus cruisin and training and upgrade missions...I like them both equally, though. They have thier flaws.

OC Noob
11-24-2003, 10:40 AM

I think the freedom of choice and ability to explore it why people like GTA III so much. You can do whatever you want, instead of following linear missions....sure, you won't progress, but sometimes you just wanna drive and kill civies...I like GTA because there are so many different missions...I'll be doing hits for the mafia and in between missions, the Diablos call via payphone and give me missions...in TC, there really arent that many side missions, just bonus cruisin and training and upgrade missions...I like them both equally, though. They have thier flaws.

Speaking of Mafia, its coming to consoles and is a pretty damn good game too. Heck, it might be out already for all I know. I have it on PC, which was released some time ago. In EGM magazine they said some of the anoyances were removed (i.e. strict traffic enforcement). The cars are still slow as the devs made the game very realistic in every aspect, but it has a great God Father type story and really good game play too.

I recommend it to any fans of the GTA series.

Conchord
11-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by OC Noob

Speaking of Mafia, its coming to consoles and is a pretty damn good game too. Heck, it might be out already for all I know. I have it on PC, which was released some time ago. In EGM magazine they said some of the anoyances were removed (i.e. strict traffic enforcement). The cars are still slow as the devs made the game very realistic in every aspect, but it has a great God Father type story and really good game play too.

I recommend it to any fans of the GTA series.

Agreed, but to all GTA fans, don't expect the big open-ended strucure in Mafia....this game is ALL story. A prety good one, too. the traffic laws rock, man! GTA was too wild...This old lady jumped out of her SUV and beat the **** outta a ganster and a cop sitting right behind her didnt even do anything...

OC Noob
11-24-2003, 05:53 PM

Agreed, but to all GTA fans, don't expect the big open-ended strucure in Mafia....this game is ALL story. A prety good one, too. the traffic laws rock, man! GTA was too wild...This old lady jumped out of her SUV and beat the **** outta a ganster and a cop sitting right behind her didnt even do anything...

lol, thats one tough old *****.

ARONO129
11-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by OC Noob

I agree with what you said other then the compairing the combine scores. There is so much GTA fanboyism out there and unfortunately, game reviewers aren't above it. There is so much hype around GTA that some people (a surprizing amount IMO) see a clone and want to bash it just because its a "threat" to their favorite game. Dealing with these people is a bit frustrating and I think his statement was targeted at them and not you.

TC takes the GTA formula and adds more city, more fighting abilities, more ways to play (branching story line), more depth in general. I've played VC through on the PC and really can't figure out why people who gave VC 9.5/10 are giving TC 7/10 other then the fact that they are in some way biased.

There are so many people saying TC sucks that even admit to not playing it or just playing it for like 5 minutes its crazy.

I think GTA is a great series and like you enjoy it for what it is, but if you haven't tried TC give it a chance. If you like GTA for more then hookers and running around killing everyone you see, you should really like TC and the depth it brings to the genre.

Its even good for the GTA fanboys who will never play TC. The bar has just been raised a bit and it should make Rockstar work that much harder on GTA5.

I've been thinking a lot about the GTA phenomenon and honestly, its easy to get sucked in to the most hyped game ever. I'm sure we can all name games that are better, but its the #2 selling series of all time (second only to the Sims games which everyones mother, brother and sister play)?!?! It ain't that good. I think because its a very good game and its got the whole forbidden fruit thing going for it, like Rock n' Roll did in the 50's, that its rather overrated and some people feel the need to prove its the best thing ever and defend it to the point of ignorance.

Really, Legend of Zelda (which is much more of an action game then an RPG) did the whole free roaming thing back on NES and Adventure for the Atari 2600 did it before Zelda. GTA gets the honors of bringing us the free roaming action game of the 3D era (somewhat debatable), has a cinema quality story line, created a sub-genre in action games, changed the way we look at a lot of games and is tons of fun to boot, but its not like Rockstar invented the wheel. The original Super Mario Bros. did just as much, if not more for gaming, it just didn't have hookers and involve mass murders:D

All I can say is excellent post. I agree totally. :cheers:

I still think people are selling the GTA DP short dismissing it as an old game. This is a huge victory for Xbox scoring a once PS2 exclusive.

Conchord
11-24-2003, 07:17 PM
The only reason I like GTA better, is the fact that I am a criminal, not a cop. And don't gimme this, 'you can be a bad cop...' The bad cop rating is limited to 99...wtf. Like anyone will get that high as a good cop, anyways. I accidentally run over a civilian in a car chase, and all of sudden I am a bad cop. The other thing I liked about GTA is the cop chases. In TC, when civil unrest is called, local street gangs, and usually cops, chase you, but all the cars in the game are so turbo-charged that getting away isnt a problem. They could have used the highway (and actually filled it realistically, not a few cars here and there) for some awesome car chases, but it never occured. I will always choose Liberty City over L.A., but I guess that's because I actually know where the **** I am.

BTW I'm not bashing TC, I love it, I just prefer the original GTA III over it...and no, I am not a fanboy.

OC Noob
11-24-2003, 11:43 PM
I'd be all over the DP if I didn't already have them on PC. Kinda wish I would have waited now. GTA is one of those games that is just better with a controller in the lazyboy in front of a big @ss TV.