PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind: GOTY troubles

CarGuy
11-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Well, for a few hours last night i tried to load one of my old games with GOTY. It worked once and i tried many, many times. This morning i decided to give it the ol' boiling trick which made things better. I can load a game 3/5 times but most of the time a few minutes later it'll crash. I've boiled it three times and each times it's gotten better, so in other words ive gotten farther each time. Havent made it to the new places yet, but it looks like the boiling method is having an effect.. Anyone else having problems??? Draw distance doesnt seem to be drastically improved, but it is better. Frame rate has improved and was the first thing i noticed. Maybe i can get it running tonight or hopefully they release a good version because apparently my disc is bad. Either way i'm only out $30.. I'd be livid if i paid $50...
:mad:

TuffEagle88
11-05-2003, 04:13 PM
that isn't right.... I'd try to return it, and if that one is screwed up too, take it to wal-mart and get store credit.

CarGuy
11-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Well i did a little research. I have an older Xbox with the original drive. Apparently they have problems reading dual layer dvd discs.. I have problems with just about every new game, but this one was the worst. I believe the boling thing and it finally running was just a coincidence as there's no pattern to how it works now. Anyone with an older Xbox should be advised to stay away from this game and get your xbox fixed. There's a lot of options, but basically you need to change your DVD drive.. Here's a link to get started: http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1930689&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

thrAsher
11-05-2003, 05:32 PM
You know, I'm thinking I'm just gonna let this one slip by. Yep, so much for Morrowind. I loved the game, but like the song says, I've "lost that loving feeling. Whoa-oh, that loving feeling."

:cry:

TuffEagle88
11-06-2003, 08:06 PM
what is the "boiling method" and what does it do?? I haven't heard of it but I'm not exactly a person who keeps up with or knows about tec. or how to fix it. Thanks.

CarGuy
11-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by TuffEagle88
what is the "boiling method" and what does it do?? I haven't heard of it but I'm not exactly a person who keeps up with or knows about tec. or how to fix it. Thanks.

OXM discs sometimes came with an extra layer of plastic that could be boiled off... I read how some people had success with other discs also, so i tried it. BTW i bought a new XBox and it works great. A MUST buy for morrowind fans..

TuffEagle88
11-07-2003, 03:09 PM
awesome, I'll probably get it this weekend becuase my parents owe my 30 bucks, so they can just write me a check at wal-mart. Man I hope they have it at Wal-Mart, because I really don't want to drive 45mins to bestbuy or funcoland

Xorg
11-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Well it looks like my xbox has a thompson drive, but morrowind works great on it, it only froze once but that was after seven hours of playing,

TuffEagle88
11-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Would either of you, or anyone else recommend this for anyone who didn't play any of the other games? Has the combat been improved at all? I heard that that is where the first Morrowind fell short.

Duke
11-08-2003, 10:53 AM
My autosave ( which is the only save I had w/in a hundred or two days of where I'm at now, was bad. Worked fine the last time I took Morrowind out, maybe just a GOTY issue.

Not too bid a deal, if annoying. Just have to do the Blades quests over again (which I loved anyway) and make another trip to Dagoth Ur (not nearly as fun, boring)

Checked out Tribunal a little bit, seems alright, but I think I'll refinish my originals again. (only thing I couldn't complete was romantic. Ahnassi, just got kind of locked into something, never gave me the next step.

Also, are Redoran and Hlaalu mutually exclusive. Can't remember where, but I became a brother in Hlaalu along the way in my character (already finished Redoran) Only house I didn't go through all the way, so wondering if I can complete it now.