PDA

View Full Version : Penny Arcade sums up EA vs XBL

Koopa
11-05-2003, 07:08 PM
http://penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20031105l.gif
i couldnt have said it better

LiquidX
11-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Dude thats hilarious. But I wouldnt want Microsoft to buy EA....most of their games are mediocre and the rest are The Sims!

George89
11-05-2003, 07:19 PM
:D perfectly said:D

Microsoft payed Rare like $365 million or something around there, I think they should make a nice check out to EA.

MerimacHamwich
11-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by George89
:D perfectly said:D

Microsoft payed Rare like $365 million or something around there, I think they should make a nice check out to EA.
But Rare can actually MAKE GOOD games.

EA can only publish them, and its a rare occurence when that happens.

lax_defense
11-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Wow. That does sum it up pretty much. You have no idea, or maybe you do, how much I despise EB for cancelling their BF 1942 for the Xbox and live. Damn them! Damn them all to hell!

Highlite23
11-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

But Rare can actually MAKE GOOD games.

EA can only publish them, and its a rare occurence when that happens.

I'm with MAC. :cheers:

l Maximus l
11-06-2003, 12:54 AM
EA is far overrated... I can't think of the last EA game I've owned....seriously.

Hero
11-06-2003, 01:21 AM
heh..i know im being dumb but i still refuse to buy an EA games until they decide to bring thier games to xblive becuase i dont have any other systems to play thier games on. but mainly i havent bought any becuase they dont make anything that interest me.. i almost fell for the NBA street Volume 2 game.but wheni played the demo i was kinda disapointed...so yeah..they dont interest me much anywayz.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-06-2003, 03:13 AM
I don't think EA is overrated..I like EA games and will support them. I think that EA is doing fine without microsoft.(they didn't need sega either) They got the top selling sports games....Their Big label has put out some great games SSX , NBA Street and Def Jam series .. have be some of my favorites....They also did a wonderful job with Buffy the vampire slayer, Lord of the rings and the James Bonds series....You guys can bash EA all you want, while they laugh their way to the bank...I just don't understand all of these bad feeling toward EA...they are supporting the Xbox, they are just not supporting the live service...A lot more xbox owners are supporting EA..than are bashing them or the sales wouldn't be so high for the xbox versions of their games would it?:cheers:

Warchant
11-06-2003, 08:00 AM
ha ha, that's great!

Tim
11-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
I don't think EA is overrated..I like EA games and will support them. I think that EA is doing fine without microsoft.(they didn't need sega either) They got the top selling sports games....Their Big label has put out some great games SSX , NBA Street and Def Jam series .. have be some of my favorites....They also did a wonderful job with Buffy the vampire slayer, Lord of the rings and the James Bonds series....You guys can bash EA all you want, while they laugh their way to the bank...I just don't understand all of these bad feeling toward EA...they are supporting the Xbox, they are just not supporting the live service...A lot more xbox owners are supporting EA..than are bashing them or the sales wouldn't be so high for the xbox versions of their games would it?:cheers:

I agree with with the Dr. :D

RudedogX
11-06-2003, 08:18 AM
The sales could be a lot higher if they were just not so damn greedy about their online service. To force owners of previous games to have to get the new game in order to continue playing on their service is ridiculous and shows how little loyalty they have to their customers. With Sega, at least you can still play 2k3 if you want to on Live. You see where the argument is there? It comes down to the customers and loyalty being important, and not the company's own greed. Yet...somehow 2k4 for Sega sold pretty well regardless of users still being able to use 2k3 to play. Interesting:huh:

treyz3
11-06-2003, 08:47 AM
That's funny stuff.

I've supported EA by buying their games for a long time, but it's getting old not being able to play them on Live. It's all about greed and how they think they should be treated differently from other publishers.

OC Noob
11-06-2003, 08:56 AM
I've been playing EA games since the C64, but now stay away from most of their titles. They need to go Live or its ESPN for me.

MerimacHamwich
11-06-2003, 11:32 AM
I beg to differ. I think that most of them are pertty much crap.

Developed:
SSX - I hate that series with a passion.
NBA Street Vol. 1 on PS2 - ...
NBA Street Vol. 2 on XBox - Pretty fun from what I played, but lacking so much.
Lord of the Rings, the two towers - Hated that game. They let you upgrade your weapons? WTF?
Some James Bond Games - I am not the only one who thinks EA absolutely RUINED these games.

Published:
Def Jam Vendetta

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (http://my.ign.com/my/sb?pageID=2003&alwaysShowResults=0&nuaction=gameSearch&gameTitleSearch=buffy+the+vampire+slayer&platformSearch=-1&genreSearch=-1&gameStatusSearch=&developerSearch=&publisherSearch=&esrb=NOESRB&esrb=AO&esrb=E&esrb=EC&esrb=K-A&esrb=M&esrb=RP&esrb=T&x=0&y=0) :
Published by Fox Interactive
Developed by The Collective
- I like this game, to bad it has nothing to do with EA.

I do admit there are SOME EA games I like. The majority of what they put out, published or developed is crap.

Chumley
11-06-2003, 03:38 PM
haha that comic couldn't be more true...

MeDjai-XBC
11-06-2003, 03:56 PM
k

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Oh , c'mon.....i wouldn't call them crap..i love those games...i guess we can agree to disagree on that point...

Let's talk about the bad blood that some of the xbox owners have against EA....EA still makes games for the xbox..they just aren't supporting live it this time. I don't see that the bashing or the undue pressure is having an effect...in fact it's going to make it that much harder for an agreement..It looks like both companies have dug in their heels for a very long and heated battle. A lot of you think that EA is wrong and greedy...On the other side some people say that Microsoft is wrong and power hungry. Who's right? Don't get me wrong..i like microsoft and ea...i think that the fanbase is fanning the flames...Instead of taking sides...we should come together and show both companies this little war is wrong..I hope that this doesn't come out as a rant...we should be boycotting both EA and MIcrosoft to force them to hammer out an argeement..Who cares about pride and bragging rights at this point...i just want to play NBA street, SSX and return of the king on xbox live...:cheers:

JJaX
11-06-2003, 05:16 PM
HAhah thats some funny stuff. The 1st penny arcade i actually liked.

I hope MS buys EA and just fires everyone. End of stroy.

DocHoliday78
11-06-2003, 06:21 PM
I dont know why people thing EA is overrated. SSX series is far better then amped, nba street 1 &2 were great. MVP baseball was the best last year. Dont forget about the new need for speed which looks awesome. Sorry but xbox would be doing much much better if they had ea sports. Oh and dont forget a little game called Madden ( i like ESPN better but madden rapes sales.)

*Edit* Also forgot the new LOTR game which all copies have been reserved from both my local game crazy's and funcoland. Havent been to gamestop though so i dont know whats going on there.

Xtreme Munky
11-06-2003, 06:23 PM
LOL! That's funny. I hope Microsoft doesn't buy EA, EA is pure and utter crap. But I do agree, EA's online service sucks big time, and they need Xbox Live. Just think, if EA supported Xbox Live, their sales for their games would sky rocket. I know for a fact I'd buy their sports games instead of settling for Microsoft's crappy sports titles.

Koopa
11-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78
I dont know why people thing EA is overrated. SSX series is far better then amped, nba street 1 &2 were great. MVP baseball was the best last year. Dont forget about the new need for speed which looks awesome. Sorry but xbox would be doing much much better if they had ea sports. Oh and dont forget a little game called Madden ( i like ESPN better but madden rapes sales.)

*Edit* Also forgot the new LOTR game which all copies have been reserved from both my local game crazy's and funcoland. Havent been to gamestop though so i dont know whats going on there.

meh IMO sports games suck...SSX2 didnt hold my interest, either..

and lotr is the most overrated game ever. its a an ugly, short hack and slash that should have had online, 4 player coop from the start...and now its sequel is a slightly prettier hack and slash with 2 player coop. whoop de doo.
its a nice rent, but thats it.

MerimacHamwich
11-06-2003, 06:47 PM
So so true Koopa.

I can't believe he said SSX is better than Amped...
:huh:

DocHoliday78
11-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Well of course your not gonna like EA becasue you dont like sports games. EA is all about sports. I hear the same argement for ssx with tony hawk: They are both extremly unrealistic and that doesnt appeal to the person. I know amped 2 is live enabled but i have been playing SSX way before amped ever came out and now that is what i like. Your a damn fool though if you think it wouldnt be smart for microsoft to buy EA. Sony wouldnt have **** on Microsoft. Like i already said look at how much more madden sells than 2k. Same with ssx, i bet you it destroys amped sales. This is all statistics so i am no fan boy but 90% of the threads you post in mac become arguments. You just always gotta instigate dont you?

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Koopa...dude....lotr is a overrated short and ugly hack and slash...ouch..Mmm,,i think that lord of the rings two towers is one of the greatist movies to game ever made....i think it set the bar for film to games....lord of the ring..was made to be a hack and slash movie.....Not to go too far off of topic here... Do you guys want to see EA games totally busted and begging to have their games on xbox live?..or do you want to see both companies kiss and makeup and make games for xbox live? I don't think that half of you guys here hate EA....as much as you say you do....

MerimacHamwich
11-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Or post my opinions...

Anyhow, I am not the only one in here who hates EA. I guess its just easier to take out your agression on me, as I can take it.

So you have a PS2 I take it? Becuase SSX actually came out on the XBox AFTER Amped 1 was released.

Amped 1 - November 2001
SSX Tricky - December 2001

Anyhow, the release date of a game compared to a different game has absolutely no bearing on which one is better.

Infact, I do believe you are the one who started this argument, stating opinions as facts. "SSX series is far better then amped." So, I say stop being so ignorant and learn from this thread.

And whoever said I don't like sports games? I have said I don't like BUYING sports games, but I love sports games. Amped 1 and 2 are two of my absolute favorites. The FIFA series as well, and yes they are made by EA. And I wouldn't be a hypocrite by admitting that, as I already said that I do like some EA games, I just hate the majority of what they put out.

Now, here is one reason that I believe alot of poeple hate EA. Not only do they not have LIVE enabled games, but they are also cheaping out on other aspects of Xbox feature support. Such as no custom soundtracks, no HDTV support, no digital sound support or if they have it, it's really bad, no four player support, no "Xbox" quality graphics in ANY of thier games and oh so much more. Some poeple are hooked on the LIVE support issue, I believe they have ALOT more to work on before they would ever be able to put out a good Xbox game PERIOD, let alone a half way decent XBox LIVE game.

-edit-
In reference to Dr Evil, I agree with Koopa. The LOTR games are WAY over-rated. I am a huge LOTR fan, and yet, I got bored of the game in TTT before I even made it past the Falls of Rauros. Not to mention what I already did, how retarded it is that they had upgrades for your characters like new weapons. That ...thing... is a horrible translation of the epic tale of middle earth. The graphics are good for a PS2 game, but that's about all it has.

DocHoliday78
11-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Hell no i dont have a ps2 but my best friend did. I had a dreamcast which had potential. Oh and you said "so true koopa" about his post. Why dont you go back and read koopas post saying that sports games suck. Or were you just quick to rally together. What was the point of you showing the release dates of ssx tricky and amped? SSX 1 came out way before amped did. Maybe you shouldnt be so quick to mouth off and try actually reading posts for once.

MerimacHamwich
11-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Dear god DocHoliday, perhaps you should take grade 1 english over again. I can't believe you couldn't understand my post.

Why did I agree with Koopa? I agreed with him becuase he said LOTR was over-rated and that SSX can't hold my interest.

SSX came out before Amped, on PS2...

Ofcourse, I don't expect you to understand this post either.

Koopa
11-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Koopa...dude....lotr is a overrated short and ugly hack and slash...ouch..Mmm,,i think that lord of the rings two towers is one of the greatist movies to game ever made....i think it set the bar for film to games....lord of the ring..was made to be a hack and slash movie.....Not to go too far off of topic here... Do you guys want to see EA games totally busted and begging to have their games on xbox live?..or do you want to see both companies kiss and makeup and make games for xbox live? I don't think that half of you guys here hate EA....as much as you say you do....

goldeneye set the bar for movie games more than 5 years ago. i'll admit that TTT is decent, which is more thancan be said for most movie-game translations....but thats all the credit it deserves.

dances with broom sticks
11-07-2003, 10:42 PM
yea, I havent liked an EA game on a consol in, well, lets just say along time.... In my opinon they butchured the 007 series, and the lord of the rings games to me, arent even worth the rent (and i work at a video store and can rent free)

I dont have EA for not going on live, I just don't enjoy their games... I didnt like kabiku warriors either, but you're not complaining about people hating that company?

I also dont think MS and EA are "at war" they just couldnt agree... it happens.... no big deal, life goes on....

That comic was really really funny though

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Mmm....dances with broom sticks... you think that EA hacked up the 007 series...I wouldn't say that....it wasn't much of a series to begin with......Outside of Goldeneye and night fire.....This new james bond game has got me kind of worried....
I really think that EA has done a really great job on the lord of the rings series of games..the way the movie clips blends with video game play..it's like magic..it really makes you feel like your part of the movie...I must admit..you can tell they made those games with playstation 2 hardware...and ported it over as an after thought...That's a really bad habit that EA games has.

Okay..Koopa..i will agree on that point.. Goldeneye got the ball rolling and showed everybody that a good movie to game could be made....

MerimacHamwich...c'mon dude you can't blame all of that on EA...Alot of other game companies has low balled many an xbox owners..by leaving out those key features.. and worst of all making their games with playstation 2 hardware..then again..just because other companies do that doesn't make it right.. Alot of people don't like EA games....it's cool....maybe one day...hopefully soon they are going to make a game that everybody likes. I still think it's an EA + xboxlive issue
:cheers:

MerimacHamwich
11-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Some companies leave some features out of some of thier games. EA does it for pretty much every single one of thier games.

:watchout:

DocHoliday78
11-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Some companies leave some features out of some of thier games. EA does it for pretty much every single one of thier games.

:watchout:

Becasue they are greedy, controlling *******s. They hate and despise the face that microsoft would be overlooking there online moves. Microsoft wouldnt allow them to shut down the past years online abilities so people would have to buy the newest year's version like sony does. That is my problem with EA. They are greedy sons a *****es but i still like their games.