PDA

View Full Version : Believe or not, both GTA and TC are good...

StudioAlex
11-06-2003, 11:43 AM
There, I said it. I think it's true. I can't give a complete opinion of TC until I beat it, but it is a good game that I think anyone who likes GTA will enjoy. I haven't had problems with bugs yet and hopefully it won't come up.

If I had to make a recomendation, I'd tell anyone who hasn't had the chance to play GTA to get it first as it is basically the Super Mario Bros. of its genre and has two complete games in it.

To those of us who've played GTA to death should check TC because it's more of what we love. Running senior citizens over and beating the crap out of anyone who happens to be around when you get angry that you failed the same mission for the sixth time. The same complaints about GTA (camera, aiming) are evident here, but it does do some things better, namely the hand to hand fighting.

I don't understand the pervading opinions that one is good at the expense of the other.

Matt Freegard
11-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Your argument is flawed.What if people don't want the same of thing over and over again?Your saying True Crime is the same,so how is it better?

And now for my final thoughts..

RIP OFF!:cuss:

yall
11-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Matt Freegard
Your argument is flawed.What if people don't want the same of thing over and over again?Your saying True Crime is the same,so how is it better?

What argument?

He says he likes both games, and in fact recommended GTA over TC for those who have played neither.

Chill.

DIGITAL
11-06-2003, 12:40 PM
thanks for the info ,im gonna get GTA for my birthday on the 11 an get true crime in a few weeks

Chaotic
11-06-2003, 12:42 PM

Yea , you really need to chill out :o

StudioAlex
11-06-2003, 01:15 PM

Funny that I was able make you so angry with such a moderately voiced post...

Anyway, if people don't want to play another GTA like game, then they wouldn't be interested in TC in the first place. Some people really enjoyed GTA'a gameplay and look forward to more, I was just letting those people know that the water's warm.

JJaX
11-06-2003, 02:37 PM
I got the GTA pack, and i love it.

:cheers:

RudedogX
11-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
I got the GTA pack, and i love it.

:cheers: BITE ME! :cuss: I have to wait!:cry:

George89
11-06-2003, 05:50 PM
I will definatly rent TC first and I will probably just go ahead and buy GTA because I already know it's gonna be good.

Xtreme Munky
11-06-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm not exactly sure how True Crime can be compared to GTA Vice City. In my opinion, since Vice City is a much older game, why would they make TC just like it? Why not try and make it counter GTA4 instead? I mean, it's like Nintendo and Sony still trying to get a Halo beater game out. What's the point? Get one that can try (and I emphasize 'try') to beat it. I mean, it'd be like Dodge trying to beat the '68 Mustang. There's no point to it, try and beat the '04-'05 Mustangs.

bretman1234
11-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Xtreme Munky
I'm not exactly sure how True Crime can be compared to GTA Vice City. In my opinion, since Vice City is a much older game, why would they make TC just like it? Why not try and make it counter GTA4 instead? I mean, it's like Nintendo and Sony still trying to get a Halo beater game out. What's the point? Get one that can try (and I emphasize 'try') to beat it. I mean, it'd be like Dodge trying to beat the '68 Mustang. There's no point to it, try and beat the '04-'05 Mustangs.

They would make True Crime just like it because of the fact that GTA was one of the best selling games of all time. GTA4 is going to be exactly like the other ones, so what would be the difference in copying that one? You're argument doesn't make very much sense, expecially the car one. Why are you comparing Dodge to the Mustang again? :huh: Dodge is an entire chain, and the Mustang is a singular car.:confused:

Trento52
11-06-2003, 07:29 PM
i haven't tried much except the very old gta so i am getting the double pack plus teh two games sounds even better.

TuffEagle88
11-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm gonna get True Crimes, because I think that I'm sick to death of not being able to kill anyone without running from SUVs and helicopters, then having my car flip over and escape from it bearly, then steal a moped and just as I get on, the damn cops grab me off the fuc**** pos and arrest me. And thats just from playing at my friend's house, but who knows maybe I will get it.

StudioAlex
11-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Now that I've had a few days to comepletely absorb True Crime, I'll give my honest opinion as to how it compares with GTA. Take whatever score you would give GTA, and assume TC would get just about one notch lower.

What TC does better:

The gunplay and hand to hand fighting aspects are more fun and more developed. The first proper shooting sequence in TC (Dynasty Imports) was more fun than any shooting sequence in GTA period. TC features several gameplay modes. There is the free roaming, where the gunplay is about as frustrating as it is in GTA, and there are also scripted gunplay and hand to hand sequences. The sequences are reminiscent of how the gunplay and HtoH work in free roaming, only much more fun and streamlined. Also, music will play during these sequences which can really create awesome moods. For example, "Twist and Shout," as performed by the Beatles, played on my soundtrack during my first climatic gun fight, giving the whole thing a Tarantino-esque feeling.

What GTA does better:

In a word. Freedom. There are countless more ways to rain destruction in GTA. AS I said, the gun fights can be annoying, but at least you have the option of dispatching foes with any kind of weapon you'd like to.

The map offers more freedom. TC's map is huge. So huge it's silly. None except those (maybe) who live in LA would be able to navigate it from memory. Also, you're pretty limited in where you can actually go. In GTA, you can get on top of any building and run through any yard. In the world of TC, wooden fences could withstand a nuclear blast. Just wait until you try to do something crazy like drive off of the freeway. Your car has seizures and you start sinking through the ground because the game won't let you fly over every surface. I'll take a hand developed, more interactive, inspired by a real city but smaller world over a realistic, at times boring recreation of of an actual city. Many of TC's driving missions felt like delivering a pizza. I just kind of looked at the map and kept my foot on the gas. A sharp contrast to GTA where learning the city, in and out, and utilizing jumps and short cuts is a must.

All that said, both games are really good, and TC would've beat out GTA if it offered players more freedom in how they could solve the problems that face the character. Each game has its strengths and, unfortunately, its weaknesses. As it stands, GTA is a bit better game.

Xtreme Munky
11-08-2003, 09:53 AM
I agree, both games are good. True Crime isn't even close to being able to compete with GTA though. It's too much of a GTA with Max Payne in it. Not to mention, True Crime is a very short game (My friend and I both beat it in 5 hours).

StudioAlex
11-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Xtreme Munky
I agree, both games are good. True Crime isn't even close to being able to compete with GTA though. It's too much of a GTA with Max Payne in it. Not to mention, True Crime is a very short game (My friend and I both beat it in 5 hours).

I'm not sure how long I've spent playing, but it seems longer than five hours. Do you mean, it took you five hours to play through to an ending, or five hours to unlock all the upgrades and unlock and play the alternate episodes and all three endings?

Kortiz
11-08-2003, 12:59 PM
I did the 3 for 2 deal at toys r us..........decided that i would return conflict desert storm 2 and get crimson skies.............they didnt have crimson skies so i just got my money back.

went to EB and got Crimson Skies and the GTA Double Pack.

I got a 30dollar mail-in rebate check in the mail a few days ago.......so spent the 20 it took to get a second game.

I have yet to play either, as I had to be at work 10 minutes before i bought the games.

Anyway.......I'm happy. I'll probably be online with some rs3 tonight and then hop on Crimson Skies for a bit to see how that works..........get worked and then jump on GTA