PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Date Change

Yankeez
11-06-2003, 11:53 AM
this could be bad or good...or mean nothing at all :eek:

Microsoft launched the Xbox with a game that they promised everyone would be talking about, Halo. To the new video game console company, it was a necessity to have a franchise character to have a market presence. Microsoft was right, as developer Bungie succeeded in making Halo one of the most talked about games of the new generation.

Obviously, with a game as big as Halo, there would be a sequel. The sequel, Halo 2, was announced some time ago and was originally scheduled to be released this Holiday season. Unfortunately for drooling gamers, Bungie and Microsoft opted to move the game to a Spring 2004 release date in order to polish the "bells and whistles".

Today it was discovered that Microsoft, via the Xbox web site, has changed the release date of Halo 2 to an indefinite date. No word from Microsoft or Bungie on why the release date was changed from spring 2004 to indefinite.

RudedogX
11-06-2003, 11:58 AM
The way I see it, let them take their time and finish it properly. I don't want a sequel to a perfect game being half-assed and filled with bugs.

mattgame
11-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Oh no. Does this mean that it will not be out until Christmas of next year or some crap like that. This sucks. I'm depressed now for real.:cry:

thrAsher
11-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
The way I see it, let them take their time and finish it properly. I don't want a sequel to a perfect game being half-assed and filled with bugs. I second that.

Sure, it sucks, but think about it in the long haul. I'd rather have as near a flawless Halo 2 experience than have it today and it be riddled w/ bugs. Still, people w/ gripe and moan about it.

I see a lot of this at the BBB boards regarding Fable. Some of those diehards have been on that board for years waiting on this game. But you know what? Even w/ all the pushbacks and speculations on a release date, they stick w/ it. Why? 'Cuz they know it will rock house, just like Halo 2 will.

Patience, kids, patience.

JDHack0822
11-06-2003, 12:31 PM
A Halo 2 delay is bad news for all of us die-hard players. The thing is, you have to think about how long Halo was in production before it was released. They took a long time to make sure that the game would be the best possible experience ever scene on a console. I have a feeling that with the scope that Bungie has been projecting for Halo 2 it is going to have the sickest graphics and audio with a replay value as high if not higher than the first game. Which we all know is rarely scene in console games.
I'm not worried about the real fans of the game sticking with it. I just hope that it comes out in the first second quarter of 2004 because I have been following its progress since last year about this time.

Voodoo_Vince
11-06-2003, 01:24 PM
How short everyone's memory is , within the last three months a Halo 2 interview stated that Halo 2 was 90% done and they were working on Multiplayer and that spring 2004 was a good projected time relaease,

So whats going on, are they really going to test it for a Year? maybe they are going for a Suprise launch , if not and it is coming sometime late next year, then at LEAST make halo a Platnium hit with a Playable Halo 2 level ,

Or could it be some uniformed idiot at Xbox.com that put in the wrong Info?? what does Bungie say

Chumley
11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
I say I'll wait a couple more months for the most polished and best game ever...

Clever
11-06-2003, 02:07 PM
no, my father's cousin, friend's brother works at microsoft he told me it will be released for Xbox 2...:(

:p

StudioAlex
11-06-2003, 02:50 PM
All I want to know is, when did Miyamoto take over as director for Halo 2?

treyz3
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
The way I see it, let them take their time and finish it properly. I don't want a sequel to a perfect game being half-assed and filled with bugs.

I agree. This isn't a PC game where they can just release some patches to fix the bugs in the game. I'll wait longer for a better game rather than put up with bugs.

mattgame
11-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo_Vince
How short everyone's memory is , within the last three months a Halo 2 interview stated that Halo 2 was 90% done and they were working on Multiplayer and that spring 2004 was a good projected time relaease,

So whats going on, are they really going to test it for a Year? maybe they are going for a Suprise launch , if not and it is coming sometime late next year, then at LEAST make halo a Platnium hit with a Playable Halo 2 level ,

Or could it be some uniformed idiot at Xbox.com that put in the wrong Info?? what does Bungie say

I forgot about that 90% tidbit. What the hell happened? It kinda makes sense that it will come out for xbox2 but that means 2 to 3 more years wait. That would cause some disturbance in xboxville for real. This better not be true. What would make better sense is that they say it's done and merry christmas you f/n xbox junkies!

stexile
11-06-2003, 03:29 PM
The person who wrote this orginal post must be going to a different xbox.com because i just checked the site and it says MARCH so i dunno what this guy was thinking or tying to do but he should know the facts before saying stuff!

MeDjai-XBC
11-06-2003, 03:57 PM
:(

Xtreme Munky
11-06-2003, 04:14 PM
According to the Halo 2 section (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/halo2/default.htm) on Xbox.com, the release date is still at March 2004.:huh:

No Fear 23
11-06-2003, 04:14 PM
well that guy is bull****ting.

SnoochyBoochy
11-06-2003, 10:18 PM
i'm sure there will be lots of games to fufill our needs until the release of H2... Counter-Strike, perhaps? ROTFL

RagunCajun
11-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Im still gonna go with x-mas of this year. Call me crazy but thats what im goign with.

TheCovenant
11-07-2003, 01:52 AM
i say let them take their time. if they know that they need time, then they must need it for a reason.

l Maximus l
11-07-2003, 02:12 AM
I'm still hoping for March...XBox.com is very conservative when announcing dates. If they keep it at March...the latest we will see it is April, I believe.

Hero
11-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by t_howell

I forgot about that 90% tidbit. What the hell happened? It kinda makes sense that it will come out for xbox2 but that means 2 to 3 more years wait. That would cause some disturbance in xboxville for real. This better not be true. What would make better sense is that they say it's done and merry christmas you f/n xbox junkies!

lol i second that notion..imagine how fast word of mouth would spread...i would go camp out my circuit city on the cold and rainy night just to get that game.

WynnFire
11-07-2003, 02:45 AM
I'm ok with this as long as:

It doesn't become the next Duke Nukem Forever (STILL WAITING) or do what nintendo has dones, which is they cancel it for the current system and make us wait till the next system comes out before they release it (Resident Evil 0).

But it's Microsoft and Bungie, I don't think this is going to happen. Well, I hope not anyway.

l Maximus l
11-07-2003, 02:50 AM
WynnFire...dude...one thing is for sure, MS and Bungie are definately trying to get this game out ASAP, however, they want it to be HUGE...which it already is, of course :D

Man, I can't wait to smoke all of your asses on-line... :D

Xbox Owner
11-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Man, why is this being posted all over the net? It's not true! The last paragraph states this is basically based off Xbox.com changing the date for Halo 2's street date. Well, guess what, they never changed it. It's still March 2004.

mattgame
11-07-2003, 09:08 AM
I checked over there too and I didn't see where they changed it either.

silvertrace
11-07-2003, 10:21 AM
believe me if you want but i've been hearing rumors about halo2 that would surprise most people........

i have a couple people on my xbl buddy list that always have inside information and the most recent tidbit they fed me was taht halo2 will be out right after xmas, but its not gonna be announced due to the large amount of games that are dropping in the near future.....

this would lower the sales of games such as r6 and counterstrike, and whatever games are coming out, based solely on the fact that halo2 will be the biggest thing since sliced bread

so they wanna wait and drop it on us sometime after xmas like around january, because of this the 2nd part of my tidbit really got me psyched.....

this person told me they are trying to make halo multiplayer HUGE....a war rather than a battle.....there would be dropships to areas of the map and so on......and increased number of players was something else he hinted to......

i find it easy to fathom them transferring those xservers with 3500+ upload into halo2 servers that hold 15vs15 mastercheifs and ALL THOSE NEW VEHICLES.........

call me crazy but this person is a reliable source, but if i'm wrong oh well, sue me.........

mattgame
11-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by silvertrace

call me crazy but this person is a reliable source, but if i'm wrong oh well, sue me.........

and if you are wrong you will be hearing from my lawyer sir:D

Goku_69
11-07-2003, 11:19 AM
I pre-orderd it from EB a few months ago and the clerk told me the release date is April 2nd.:watchout:

Torlough
11-07-2003, 11:40 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head here is the FAQ to bungies web sight : you know the developers of Halo 2

Q When is Halo 2 coming out?
A Bungie has always stood by our policy of not giving out release dates for any of our titles. To put it simply, Halo 2 will be done when it's done. We're all as eager as you to get our hands on this amazing game but perfection takes time.

For now, Matt has already confirmed that the Summer 2003 dates being shown on various retail websites are definitely not accurate. When we do have a solid release date, we will post it here on Bungie.net. Until then, any Halo 2 release dates you hear should be considered extremely unreliable.

So I would say don't believe anything untill you see it n the Bungie sight all other posts are speculation and rumors.

IMHO if it is not out by christmas then they won't release it untill after E3, and use E3 to build the hype for the game and be able to show it off to purchasers. However this is only IMHO I could be wrong, but it makes good buisness sense

BunnyRabbit
11-07-2003, 04:37 PM
They better not have it out any later than September next year... Because I want to enjoy the game all throughout my summer break from school. I say they ned to work harder and do it right and bring it to us at a more convenient time!!!

Cottrau
11-07-2003, 05:14 PM

i don't mean to say "you're a ****ing idiot", but... well.. you're a ****ing idiot.

If I was a representative of Sega, and I told you that Dreamcasts were selling like crazy in the United States, would you believe me? well.. you might i dunno, because you're a ****ing idiot.. but any sane person knows that any interview where someone said that a blockbuster title would be relased in the spring is lying like whoa.

Halo 2 will not be out until Q42004... and it's not going to be any sooner. Game developers always do this... always and it's only to build suspense. Originally... since you guys like to go there.. Halo was going to be a Playstation 2 launch title.... and it ended up not coming out for.... just a few years later ;)

Halo 2 was also originally supposed to come out on Christmas time 2002, but that was obviously a lie... it built a little buzz about the title.. then they pushed it back to Christmas 2003, and got some more buzz... when they pushed it to spring, everyone wasl ike "oh man, it's coming out", but it's not going to until this next Christmas.

Moral of the story: Don't be so gullible.

Shorezy
11-07-2003, 05:19 PM

I think this says it all. I think the more time the better, we all know we can't wait, but maybe its for the best.

BTW - Its Halo_11. I got my name changed to Shorezy. I'm a long time member just comin back. Good to be here.

No Fear 23
11-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Cottrau

Halo 2 will not be out until Q42004... and it's not going to be any sooner. Game developers always do this... always and it's only to build suspense. Originally... since you guys like to go there.. Halo was going to be a Playstation 2 launch title.... and it ended up not coming out for.... just a few years later ;)

Halo 2 was also originally supposed to come out on Christmas time 2002, but that was obviously a lie... it built a little buzz about the title.. then they pushed it back to Christmas 2003, and got some more buzz... when they pushed it to spring, everyone wasl ike "oh man, it's coming out", but it's not going to until this next Christmas.

Moral of the story: Don't be so gullible.

ur a ****ing idiot. ur have no clue what u are talking about halo was supposed to be released on the PC at the first place. never on ps2 :rolleyes:

anyway, silvertrace, theres a chance for the game to be out after xmas this year bc bungie said that they are 90% done. this was like a coupld months ago. i dont see why they would hold it off to build suspend. they would get it out as soon as they are finish with it. i'd say its gonna come out Q1.

Cottrau
11-07-2003, 06:51 PM
think of it economically... when does everybody buy video games?? they buy them right after thanksgiving and right before christmas. Ever wonder why all the kickass games come out at the same time of year? it's because it's christmas time.... there's also a bit of a boom before summer.. but it's not even 1/3 of the Winter boom...

If Halo2 was going to come out in the first quarter of 2004, why would Bungie not have a release date on their website? They may be 90% done, but that's because they have been working on the game since Summer of 2001. That's been 14 Quarters. Now this winter marks the fifteenth Quarter that Bungie has been working on Halo 2. If Halo 2 is 90% done, then that means that it would be 100% done in the Summer of 2004, but games don't come out in the summer, so, naturally, it will come out late fall / early winter, when the next boom is.

Cottrau
11-07-2003, 06:52 PM
and there's always this law of the land.. that everything always takes longer than you expect / plan it to... they are probably closer to about 85% done... and even when they finish, they have to troubleshoot and betatest the hell out of it, to make sure it's perfect.... which is why they have a six month buffer.

No Fear 23
11-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Cottrau
think of it economically... when does everybody buy video games?? they buy them right after thanksgiving and right before christmas. Ever wonder why all the kickass games come out at the same time of year? it's because it's christmas time.... there's also a bit of a boom before summer.. but it's not even 1/3 of the Winter boom...

If Halo2 was going to come out in the first quarter of 2004, why would Bungie not have a release date on their website? They may be 90% done, but that's because they have been working on the game since Summer of 2001. That's been 14 Quarters. Now this winter marks the fifteenth Quarter that Bungie has been working on Halo 2. If Halo 2 is 90% done, then that means that it would be 100% done in the Summer of 2004, but games don't come out in the summer, so, naturally, it will come out late fall / early winter, when the next boom is.

the 1st halo was still in the making during the summer of 2001 to be prepared for the xbox launch so therefore, they never worked on halo 2 until 3-6 months after halo 1 was released. but still i dont think halo 2 will come out next year during the 4th quarter for the next holidays. it will most likely come out between Q1-Q2 of 2004. theres more than a million gamers that has halo and im sure they all will get it no matter what day it is bc they know how awesome it is going to be.

Procto
11-07-2003, 10:06 PM
So maybe we'll get a new E3 video...? I can't belive you represent FL with those statements. Q4? That's rediculous.

skorp
11-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by silvertrace
believe me if you want but i've been hearing rumors about halo2 that would surprise most people........

i have a couple people on my xbl buddy list that always have inside information and the most recent tidbit they fed me was taht halo2 will be out right after xmas, but its not gonna be announced due to the large amount of games that are dropping in the near future.....

this would lower the sales of games such as r6 and counterstrike, and whatever games are coming out, based solely on the fact that halo2 will be the biggest thing since sliced bread

so they wanna wait and drop it on us sometime after xmas like around january, because of this the 2nd part of my tidbit really got me psyched.....

Unselfishly I was thinking the reason why they maybe mentioning an indefinite release could be alot of potential great gargantuas money making games coming out around the same time before or after Halos release... Could be a smart move for them financially... Obviously they wont admit that to us gamers but its possibly true. I'm thinking they're trying to see which games to release here or there to spread the wealth and not clutter all these games together so maybe thats why its just indefinite at the moment. So when? Maybe before 2004 or sometime after 2003... But it should be on target with its original date at the moment. :)

Other than that..... HURRY THE HELL UP!!!!:D

mattgame
11-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by No Fear 23

ur a ****ing idiot. ur have no clue what u are talking about halo was supposed to be released on the PC at the first place. never on ps2 :rolleyes:

anyway, silvertrace, theres a chance for the game to be out after xmas this year bc bungie said that they are 90% done. this was like a coupld months ago. i dont see why they would hold it off to build suspend. they would get it out as soon as they are finish with it. i'd say its gonna come out Q1.

Exactly,I think it was coming out or being built for Macintosh. Anyway, I don't see waiting until Q4 that's too close to the next console release, that wouldn't make sense to me.