PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Undecided on Xbox2 Backward Compatability

Shadow20002
11-07-2003, 10:14 PM
TotalVideoGames.com reveals that Robbie Bach confirms that Microsoft have yet to decide whether the Xbox2 will feature backwards compatability...

Speaking to a German magazine, Robbie Bach, Senior Vice-President Microsoft Game Division, confirmed that the company has yet to decide whether the Xbox2 will run Xbox games.

Chumley
11-07-2003, 10:54 PM
If it doesn't support backward comp... They must have something totally groundbreaking up their sleeves...

Rexbitz
11-08-2003, 12:54 AM
Well, if Xbox is going to work with ATi in graphics, wouldn't it be harder now to make it backwards compatible? Either way, I still have my xbox so I don't really care :D

skorp
11-08-2003, 01:07 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Viper87227
11-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by GameGodX3
Well, if Xbox is going to work with ATi in graphics, wouldn't it be harder now to make it backwards compatible? Either way, I still have my xbox so I don't really care :D

agreed. If it doesnt support backwards compatability, ill keep my Xbox hooked up

Yankeez
11-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Chumley
If it doesn't support backward comp... They must have something totally groundbreaking up their sleeves...

actually its not becuase they might ahve somethin groundbreakin it mostly has to do with goin with IBM and not another Intel processor for xbox 2... so they gotta figure out how to make it work

Stormlord
11-08-2003, 01:48 AM
Well a lot of computers with different specs can run the same games. I don't see why not make it backwards compatible. How many here would love to see of their Xbox games run faster with no slowdown? Heck it would definately kick ass to see a Halo split-screen with no frame drops. But by then Halo 2 would be out but hey it'll still be cool.:cheers:

Chaotic
11-08-2003, 09:56 AM
The processor and GPU have nothing to do with making the system backward compatable. They both run on an x86 platform using direct x. Wether it's intel,amd,ibm Ati,nvidia.

Highlite23
11-08-2003, 11:00 AM
I think it would be a big mistake not to make X2 backwards compatible. Yes, I and many Xbox owners could leave their units hooked up, but what about new customers?

PS2 boast a huge library because they can add PSX games to the list, not to mention, if you currently own an XBOX and it craps out after you have purchased your X2, you'll be sitting on alot of games you can't use.

As stated, the hardware argument is thin at best, not going BC would be a big mistake in my opinion.

mmichael0
11-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage
The processor and GPU have nothing to do with making the system backward compatable. They both run on an x86 platform using direct x. Wether it's intel,amd,ibm Ati,nvidia.

But if or when the XBox 2 (or Micro$oft next home console) is made with a IBM CPU, it's bit unlikely to be X86.
:huh:
But that is just guess work

Currently IBM supplies its Power processors for high-end servers, a special cut-down version of Power CPUs for desktop Apple computers, additionally, IBM developed the microprocessor for Nintendo GAMECUBE console, also based on Power architecture. All these chips are 64-bit and do not support x86 in any way. This means that the XBOX 2 will hardly be compatible with the original XBOX, which uses conventional x86 CPUs. Moreover, IBM’s 64-bit architecture in the Next XBOX means Microsoft will have to develop a new operating system for the console, while its hardware technology partners to work on appropriate drivers.

It took Nintendo and IBM about 3 to 4 years to tailor PowerPC micro-architecture for Nintendo GAMECUBE console and create the actual CPU. With Microsoft’s XBOX 2 IBM will have less than three years to create the microprocessor.
Quote from (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mmedia/display/20031103103049.html)

ColdStone
11-08-2003, 12:15 PM
I think Microsoft would be doing a HUGE mistake it it makes it to where the Xbox2 won't play XBox games. That was one Huge selling point for PSII, and I think it will continue to be so for PSIII. True Older games mean older graphics and such, but there are tons of old games that are still played because nothing better, or nothing new could beat it, has come along to replace them.

jhurraw
11-08-2003, 02:44 PM
deleted

RagunCajun
11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
I want the xbox 2 to play xbox game. It doesnt matter cuz ill still get it.

robnyack
11-08-2003, 04:47 PM
I'd be willing to bet that in the end, Xbox2 will be backwards compatible.

I don't think they have a choice in the matter. It's a must have feature that if it's not there would set them back BIGTIME.

They are not dummies....they know what they have to do.

WrathfulPoppa
11-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Listen to the Guru:
If Microsoft releases Xbox 2 with backwards compatibility it will crush me. Backwards compatible systems RUIN the prospect of classic systems. Would you go out and buy a PSX so you could play your Driver 2? No, you'd buy a PoS2, right? If Microsoft releases Xbox 2 with backwards compatability than its all over for us classic enthusiasts...
*busts out the Mario Bros. series... because he has all of them*

RhinoSaur
11-08-2003, 06:02 PM
backwards compatibility is unneeded.

TuffEagle88
11-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Hell, they better or I won't ever get one. The games and systems are too expensive for me to buy a system from a company thats isn't going to put BC in the next one. If they don't I'm going to ps3, as much as I hate it.

Does anyone know if this IBM chip is any better than the Intel one? I don't see why they would change it if it wasn't broken, if it is better, then I'm all for it, but if its gonna stop the xbox2 from playing xbox games, I'm gonna be really ****ed, and I think that it would be the worst thing that microsoft could do to the xbox.

I see where wrathfulpoppa is coming from, but the classic systems are hard as hell to find, cost you twice what they are worth and the games are the same way. I don't ever want to be able to go into an electronics section without seeing Halo on the shelves, and that is what would happen if it wasn't BC. They would either re-release it or it would disappear from the public, horded by the people who already had one.

WrathfulPoppa
11-08-2003, 06:18 PM
ToughEagle, I have no problem finding video gaming stores, hell, I got a 3DO for christ's sake!

Besides, you have an Xbox right? Why throw it away? Just keep it and 10 years from now when Micro$oft releases Xbox 5 you can begin a library of Xbox games. And whats this about switching to PoS3? http://h2ofiles1.europe.webmatrixhosting.net/laugh.gif You'd be leaving behind all of the greatest series' ever created: Halo and Doom... Not to mention all the other series' in the making, Project Gotham, Amped, etc.

TuffEagle88
11-08-2003, 06:33 PM
I don't want to switch to ps3, and I'm not gonna toss my xbox, but I don't see that if microsoft did this that they would be thinking about what is best for the community.

Stormlord
11-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Many people want this feature. Yeah you can keep your old system, I still have every system I ever got except Atari. But I go on road trips and my dad has an LCD and DVD in the truck. I want to bring the new Xbox with me but I also want to play Halo and Halo 2. I'll have to bring both and I have hard enough time finding space for the first Xbox as it is. Backwards compatibility is very convenient. And a lot of people will be turned off if there's not going to be one cause new fans might want the nex Xbox but also try some of the classic games. They'll have to buy one of them or both. But by that time Xbox would be like $50 so no biggy. Anyways it'd be cool to see BC and they have 3-4 years to make a decision. :D

mdooz
11-08-2003, 08:54 PM
I think they should definately make it backwards compatible because it will help its sales and it was one reason why people bought a ps2. I personally don't care.

hiter101
11-08-2003, 10:27 PM
ok people dont get ur nipples hard about this they didnt say its not gunna support it they jsut said they are uncertain i really doubt they wont support it cuz i suspect XBL is gunna run on xb2 so it has to support the games no matter how old they are just my thought but i could be wrong :watchout:

wbio
11-09-2003, 10:30 AM
I think it would definetly be a huge mistake, like other people have said, that was one of the PS2's big selling points, and lots of PS owners bought a PS2 since they could then use only 1 console. I can't imagine MS not making it BC.

Stormlord
11-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by hiter101
ok people dont get ur nipples hard about this they didnt say its not gunna support it they jsut said they are uncertain i really doubt they wont support it cuz i suspect XBL is gunna run on xb2 so it has to support the games no matter how old they are just my thought but i could be wrong :watchout:

That's what I was thinking too. They just can't get rid of Live and create a new one.