PDA

View Full Version : Alittle Help here!

ColdStone
11-08-2003, 12:28 AM
OK, well I have a Thomson Xbox. So another words I have been having trouble with DDEs and games freezing on .e Spicificaly Morrowind. GTA3, MA, and Crimson Skies have been giving me trouble too.

So I am going to turn in my Xbox into EB for store credit and get a Samsung Xbox, now my question for you is how do I identify a Samsung Xbox with out haveing to get it out of the box, plug it in and see if it has holes in the CD/DVD tray?:huh:

skorp
11-08-2003, 12:56 AM
To be honest with you I dont even know which one I have either...

I havent had any problems with mine so far (Knocking on wood) so I guess I might have a Samsung...

:)

Shorezy
11-08-2003, 01:03 AM
I have the exact same problems dude. But not just specific games. EVERY game. I got mine the boxing day Xbox came out. Now whether or not it's Thomson or Samsung i have no clue. I never even knew there was such a difference. I'll be looking at this threa'ds responses too on what you and i should do. I get skratched games, dirty discs like mad, and sooo much gameplay interupption it's scary. It's time for either repairs or a new xbox, and the way i see it, it's new Xbox time.

Let's see what either people think...

shawns20
11-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Look on page 5 of my album for pics of different drives... Good Luck with your box !!!

XBox Stuff !!! (http://groups.msn.com/XBoxXtreeeem/pictures )

I have all 3 drives and never had a problem with any of them.
*Pounds on large pile of lumber*

:D

BunnyRabbit
11-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Ive had my Xbox for about almost 2 years now and it just began giving me problems..and im pretty sure mine is a thomson...

Samsung better than Thomson? My friend has a Samsung... THAT MUDDAFUDDA:cuss:

RagunCajun
11-08-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by shawns20
Look on page 5 of my album for pics of different drives... Good Luck with your box !!!

Nice house man, you must have a great job. Kids, let this be a lesson why to do good in school. More $$ for toys and fun.

Titty
11-08-2003, 02:28 AM
if you had your xbox since the start you had the old drivers which a lot of people have experience many problems with. if you go to a store and by a new one then it is a samsung drive because mircosoft had changed it.

i recently bought a new one because i had my old one since day 1 and when u check in the new one, your cd tray should look diff. i noticed a diff look in the tray and im pretty sure its the samsung ones.

DocHoliday78
11-08-2003, 02:33 AM
How can you tell what type you have?

ColdStone
11-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Well its true that the Thomson drives in the Xbox are being fazed out, and that Samsungs are taking over the lion share of production along with the Phillips Xbox, there are still Thomsons being produced.

The entire problem with the Thomson drive over the others, besides ther updated stof wear. Is the fact that their CD/DVD reading lenses are not of high quality.

Now I did find a HUGE post about this problem over at TeamXbox.com, unfortunalty I can't post there. I tried resitering, but I never got the verifing e-mail from them to activate my account.

The top has page after page of production dates and tries to pin point exactly what drives were produced when. Now its not the best list. There are flaws with it, so then people talked about other methods of identifying a Samsung Xbox while it's still in it's sale box, but, needless to say I got lost.

I'll point you over to the post. Maybe you can make more heads or tails of it then me.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225581

BTW, Microsoft should really find a way to get the up-dated Bios and other softwear to the older Xbox's, either through live your by CD. I mean its a waste, of both our time, and our money if we have to go out and turn in our old xbox only to spend more money on a new one, or send it to Microsoft and pray for the best.

As for telling exactly waht you own right now, just open the CD tray. If your tray has a hole that looks like a U, then its a Thomson, if it has a bulged out bottom along with hte realitive shap of a U, but no other holes besides that one, Its a Phillips. Now if you have a CD tray that has a weird looking U for the lense to read it from, along with two round holes in the tray next to the weird U, and with more holes near the front of the tray, its a Samsung.

(If I didnt explain this properly or your alittle confused, just look, at the web addy I posted on this post.

Shorezy
11-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Wow dude that's awesome! Thanks for your help. I think i'm gunna buy a new box by trading in my old machine and some games. I really hope i don't get this Thomson drive again (because of you post i know now which drive i have :cheers: ) and i hope i can get a drive that has at least some reading capabilities. Thanks again!

ColdStone
11-08-2003, 01:01 PM
No problem! But after reading that post, I still dont know how to exactly find out if an Xbox thats still it's it's box is a Samsung or not!

DarkMatter
11-08-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by shawns20

Holy ****! Where do you work? You rich ******* (by the looks of it)..:cry: :cry:

dances with broom sticks
11-08-2003, 03:11 PM
I have the thompson drive... only had a few errors...

Except recently i have been getting a new error more and more.

The screen goes black, and green words pop up and say "this is an xbox game for use in an xbox system" or sumthing like that, then i restart and all is good