PDA

View Full Version : 19.2 Million PS2 Gamers, 6 Million Xbox Gamers, 4.7 Cube Gamers in North America

Shadow20002
11-09-2003, 10:29 PM
As you might expect, the PlayStation 2 dominates the proceedings, with a current installed base of 19.2 million units which is expected to grow to 24 million units by the end of the financial year - pretty impressive growth for a console which is thought to have reached its lifetime sales peak.

The Xbox leads the GameCube slightly, with Microsoft's console boasting 6 million installed base as against 4.7 million for Nintendo's platform. These figures are expected to grow to 8 million and 6 million for Xbox and Cube respectively by the end of the financial year, although it's not clear whether this takes into account Nintendo's recent market resurgence following the Cube price cut.

Nintendo may be trailing in the North American home platform race, but it's got the handheld market all to itself and it's clearly been taking advantage of this dominance - with an installed base of some 15.7 million units, and growth to 18 million units on the cards by the end of FY03/04.

Source@ (http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=2529)

xboxteen
11-09-2003, 11:23 PM
the ps2 has been on for a longer time than the xbox. IF they both camed out at the same time Xbox would had killed it rite now

Yankeez
11-09-2003, 11:29 PM
ps2 came out 1 year before xbox and has 3 times as many...

plus dont forget MS was makin there first console ever so u cant expect it to beat a company that has already proven themselves

i still hope xbox woops ps3 hehe

Lucifer_Hawk
11-09-2003, 11:51 PM
yankeez is completely right. This is sony's second console, and with their first one being such a raved success, of course the second one will sell better then the newcomer. MS had some problems here and there, but this being there first console, it is understandable. When they release Xbox 2, you can be sure they will learn from their previous mistakes and make an outstanding console.

BlackWeenie
11-10-2003, 01:29 AM
EGM said that the xbox unit sales were something around 11 million... i dont know if this is right or not :huh:

RagunCajun
11-10-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Yankeez
ps2 came out 1 year before xbox and has 3 times as many...

plus dont forget MS was makin there first console ever so u cant expect it to beat a company that has already proven themselves

i still hope xbox woops ps3 hehe
I want both next gen consoles to do really good....why not. i enjoy both.

CjCrusher
11-10-2003, 09:10 AM
I can see why there are more PS2's than Boxs. But in all reality, XBOX kills Ps2. It has many more features and much better graphics. Plus the whole thing that you can save a whole CD to your box, with out even really tapping in to the memory. Just give it some till, XBOX will be on top.

SnoochyBoochy
11-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by CjCrusher
you can save a whole CD to your box

you mean music cd, right? anyway, when half of the people out there think of consoles out today, ps2 is the first that comes to mind because it's been around for so long... :eek:

i think the next generation consoles will tell it all...

mattgame
11-10-2003, 09:43 AM
It's only a matter of time. The Xbox will be the console of the future.

Cloud Strife
11-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Those numbers sound about right to me. I know mostly PS2 owners, followed by Xbox and not many GC owners. I play all consoles and like each of them so I really don't care which system sells the best. I just care about great games.:D

robnyack
11-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Those numbers sound about right. The xbox has assumed the clear role of second place in the 3 console race.

Clearly, PS2 won this battle. There can be no argueing that. Even MS would agree. But, also, MS never expected to win this first battle. It was all about positioning itself for the next battle.....ps3 vs xbox2.

This will be a battle like we have never seen before. It's going to be KILLER. I can't wait. We as consumers are going to gain so much because both sides are gonna throw everything they got into these consoles and also be forced to keep the price reasonable.

I think last Nov with the launching of XBL and a great group of XBL launch titles finally got their poop together and finally started to get some traction. Since then, they have continued to build on that and ended up being the only console to actually increase it's sales for 2003 compared to 2002 (last I heard).

All of this momentum for the xbox continues and I think will ultimately put them into a position to be ready to really compete with the ps3.

the next battle is going to HUGE. I cant wait

mattgame
11-11-2003, 10:19 AM
The next race should be great only if the xbox and GC or whatever system they come out with next have the games to go with it. If so it will be a tight race. I see the Xbox winning by a nose.

BunnyRabbit
11-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Heck come out with PS3 right now...Would you expect to have more Xbox gamers or more PS3 gamers?

I myself see Xbox getting cheaper and getting bought like crazy. Thats how it went with Ps2. I bet after this christmas there will be a fe more million xbox owners...Just you wait.:p

xbox genius
11-11-2003, 11:53 AM
eh how many systems sold for ps2 compared to xbox dont really matter to me. As long as the games for xbox are top notch. i kinda like xbox being 2nd, cuz so they can work their butts off delivering us many great games.

i think i might go and buy a gamecube sometime, i love their multiplayer games! mario party... man i love that game

Yankeez
11-11-2003, 12:22 PM
on black friday at walmart they will be selling gamecube and zelda bundle for $79.99 :cheers:

in case u wanted to know

Trento52
11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Not only does playstation have a good history but when it came out it was the only one at the time so if people were to buy a system ps2 was the biggest choice over the failing dreamcast.

mattgame
11-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Yankeez
on black friday at walmart they will be selling gamecube and zelda bundle for $79.99 :cheers:

in case u wanted to know

Where did you get this info from?