PDA

View Full Version : Petition to make xbox2 backwards compatible

ScottTheKilla
11-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Hey if you guys care go to this website and sign the petition informing microsoft of the demand for backwards compatibility with current xbox games when the new xbox 2 comes out. The full story and details are on the site.

XBOX2 petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox2/petition.html)

Matt Freegard
11-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Just signed it,have alook at my comment...

What kind of idiot wouldn't make Xbox 2 backwards compatible?!

You agree?:D

Chumley
11-10-2003, 12:15 PM
hmm... maybe m$ has something up their sleeves...

Matt Freegard
11-10-2003, 12:24 PM
What like Nintendo changing the shapes of their disks?Hope they don't get off to a bad start again and not having backwards compatibility will do just that!

WrathfulPoppa
11-10-2003, 12:29 PM
I don't plan to sign this petition, I posted about this in another topic but here it is again:

"Listen to the Guru:
If Microsoft releases Xbox 2 with backwards compatibility it will crush me. Backwards compatible systems RUIN the prospect of classic systems. Would you go out and buy a PSX so you could play your Driver 2? No, you'd buy a PoS2, right? If Microsoft releases Xbox 2 with backwards compatability than its all over for us classic enthusiasts...
*busts out the Mario Bros. series... because he has all of them*"

Matt Freegard
11-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Your a fool!:rolleyes:

Do you really want to set up your xbox 1 everytime you want to play on Halo?I know I don't!Why do you think PS2 sold so well?

talk like that doesn't win console wars!

ScottTheKilla
11-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by WrathfulPoppa
I don't plan to sign this petition, I posted about this in another topic but here it is again:

"Listen to the Guru:
If Microsoft releases Xbox 2 with backwards compatibility it will crush me. Backwards compatible systems RUIN the prospect of classic systems. Would you go out and buy a PSX so you could play your Driver 2? No, you'd buy a PoS2, right? If Microsoft releases Xbox 2 with backwards compatability than its all over for us classic enthusiasts...
*busts out the Mario Bros. series... because he has all of them*"

Ok first off regardless of whether or not they make xbox2 backwards compatible there will still be original xboxes. You can still be a classic enthusiast.

Second xbox isnt exactly a classic system...Its been out for what? 2 years? If xbox 2 comes out in 2005 then 4 years is just not a accepted runtime for all of us who bought a xbox and look forward to new games every year. At least with backwards compatibility we wont feel so cheated.

Third...I think youre joking anyway lol

WrathfulPoppa
11-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Matt Freegard
Your a fool!:rolleyes:

Do you really want to set up your xbox 1 everytime you want to play on Halo?I know I don't!Why do you think PS2 sold so well?

talk like that doesn't win console wars!

PoS2 sold so well because, first of all, it came out a year before the other systems *sigh* must the Guru do all the work?

People had an excellent grounding in Sony after the release of their Playstation, at the time, graphics weren't so incredibly important to the gaming industry and there were several series' that had firm footholds that went with Sony. Since then, people have stayed loyal to Sony, the only reason this system continues to sell well is that people listen to their friends' hype and there are a great deal of people who buy a system without doing any research whatsoever.

And about setting up my Xbox, thats not a problem, I have more than one TV, plus I have my NES, SNES, N64, 3DO, and Xbox all hooked up to one TV, whats to stop me from using the big screen for Xbox 2?

:cool:

smack_roscoe
11-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Matt Freegard
Your a fool!

I concur. When the PS2 was launched, they launched with literally THOUSANDS of games. What new system ever laid claim to that when they launched? Only one. The current king of the consoles PS2.
PS1 owners were not left behind when PS2 launched. They took their games and controllers with them when they brought the PS2. They didnt have to buy new gear/games to play the PS2, and If you dont think that entered the minds of lil Johnny's parents at Christmas time trying to decide what to get lil Johnny, then you sir are sadly mistaken. It was a masterful decision on Sony's part.

I know a couple of Nintendo fans, that gripe about having to buy all new gear with the new system AND keeping another old system in the closet, in case they wanna get all "classic enthusiasts" like.
IMO these "classic consoles" only serve one purpose now, and that is as target practice at the firing range.

Yep, I signed the petiton as well. #812 :cool:

X-Fan
11-10-2003, 02:18 PM
#1245.they should definetely make it backwards compatible.

Matt Freegard
11-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Shut it spammer,if you ain't got something interesting to say,don't say it!Leave sarcasm to Comedy Central.

1245 is a start y'know!

LynxFX
11-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Matt Freegard, quit with the slamming.

Well backwards compatibility would be a great addition, but it isn't required and with the current leaps in hardware technology now it may be counter productive to try to work in legacy compatibility with the original Xbox.

Xbox 2 will most definately be a 64bit unit. It could still end up being an AMD 64bit cpu as IBM has license agreements with them and manufacture their cpus. That would be our only hope for a backwards compatible cpu with current 32bit operations. IBM could also go the cell cpu route with the Xbox, just like they are/were trying with the PS3. That drastic of a change in architecture will make making the XB2 backwards compatible nearly impossible or at least not worth the effort.

I also hope they move beyond the red laser technology and go with blue laser like Sony is doing with their very own Blu-ray technology. Microsoft won't be using Blu-ray but they could go with Toshiba's blue laser tech that they are working on for the HD-DVD. Sony is also going after the HD-DVD format with Blu-ray so we could end up with two consoles where one can play HD-DVD movies, and the other can't. Of course both of those techs might lose out to another company and we are left with both consoles not being able to play HD-DVD's. Minor thing but it could play an issue into what format the final drive is for the system.

Casper
11-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by smack_roscoe

I know a couple of Nintendo fans, that gripe about having to buy all new gear with the new system AND keeping another old system in the closet, in case they wanna get all "classic enthusiasts" like.
IMO these "classic consoles" only serve one purpose now, and that is as target practice at the firing range.

Ahh, man, I was so bummed about the N64 not being backward's compatible that I just waited and got a Genesis....

And yes, I signed :)

Shadow20002
11-10-2003, 05:29 PM
I want to play my Dead or Alive 3 on Xobx 2 also. Just signed. :p

lax_defense
11-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Um...I know I sound really ignorant and stupid when I say this:

Whats backwards compatibility?