PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Manthei on kill.switch Game Music

Shadow20002
11-10-2003, 05:53 PM
GameSpy: What were you attempting to achieve in the kill.switch score?

Manthei: The producers and I wanted lots of pulse-pounding electronica action music, but always with an emotional and cinematic underpinning. The music goes from a purely electronica soundscape to one that has more "human" elements like voice and strings. This was to help emphasize the transition of the main character from a purely mechanical killing machine to a fully realized person.

Besides the cinematic action feel, I also put certain music elements into a level to help give it an identity. For example, the North Korea level takes place in some below-ground tunnels next to a submarine docking station, so I highlighted the music with percussion played on big oil drums and metal tubes to give it an industrial underwater, dock feel. The Malaysian Ruins music has fairly authentic sections of music that is derived from listening to traditional Malaysian music. Then, for the more intense sections of the Malaysian Ruins, I combined the authentic with the electronic to create a world/electronica hybrid. The Middle East regions I stuck with a purely electronica sound. But for the most part, the other pieces had a good deal of electronica mixed with world and orchestral elements. I am a big fan of combining styles and genres to create a unique musical hybrid.

Source@ (http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/november03/manthei/)