PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 not out UNTIL Spring 2004 *confirmed*

Shadow20002
11-10-2003, 05:56 PM
CVG notes that in a victory for ill-conceived news stories, and seemingly in a bid to prove that Internet journalism really is that flaky, several videogaming websites have been getting themselves into quite a flap about Halo 2. Some bright spark has been mouthing off about the "fact" that Halo 2 will supposedly be released later this month. Needless to say, it's a load of cobblers.

Microsoft itself explained back in the Summer that Halo 2 was scheduled for a 2004 release. And with Bungie's near refusal to offer new details, media or any promotional material whatsoever in recent months, you don't have to be Hercule blinking Poirot to deduce that the game probably isn't scheduled to put in an appearance any time soon.

Source@ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=98279)

No Fear 23
11-10-2003, 06:10 PM
damn, im hurt :cry:

Xtreme Munky
11-10-2003, 06:34 PM
I figured it would turn out this way, but I'm still happy I have it on preorder.

George89
11-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Didn't Bungie say early this year that the game wouldn't be done in 2003, and around summer time, most websites already had the release for around April 2004.

WrathfulPoppa
11-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Yes, Bungie has said this. We are all just so hyped that it doesn't matter if its a reliable source or not, all we want is Halo 2. On the bright side, this will practically force Bungie to release another trailer... There will be alot of upset fans out there who need something to hang on to. Myself included.

Sheeyt
11-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Actually Bungie squashed all the rumors yesterday on their website. :cry: Except maybe they are lying and its still coming on the 15th!!! :watchout: /end sarcasm

JMendes
11-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Well if it doesn't come out on the 15 then there are many other games you can pick up right now like True Crimes: Street of LA, Rainbow six 3 and soon Counter Strike and the many other coming out soon like Ninja Gaiden.

The more time they take with HALO 2 the better the gameplay and features and graphics so be a little patient. Halo on XBConnect is sufficient for now.

Cold_As_Ice
11-11-2003, 08:40 AM
I just can't believe that so many people actually considered this to be factual information, disregarding the fact that Bungie has absolutely no reason to release Halo 2 without official press coverage and public awareness; Without these components, any item's sales will not reach its expected projections. People can be so ignorant!

BunnyRabbit
11-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by WrathfulPoppa
Yes, Bungie has said this. We are all just so hyped that it doesn't matter if its a reliable source or not, all we want is Halo 2. On the bright side, this will practically force Bungie to release another trailer... There will be alot of upset fans out there who need something to hang on to. Myself included.

Im with you on that all the way. I need something to hold on to while I wait for Halo2. A video of Halo2. A demo about Halo2. Or a little news thing-a-ma-jig explaining some new amazing features we should expect within the game...

GIVE US SOMETHING BUNGIE!!! :cuss:

Third Eye
11-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Bungie needs to release that game they made up on april fools day. Was it pimps at sea I think? It looked really funny.

Casper
11-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Cold_As_Ice
I just can't believe that so many people actually considered this to be factual information, disregarding the fact that Bungie has absolutely no reason to release Halo 2 without official press coverage and public awareness; Without these components, any item's sales will not reach its expected projections. People can be so ignorant!

You don't need press coverage for this game, are you kidding? IF they just went out on Nov. 15th and announced that it would be coming out on Black Friday, the gaming industry would be amazed and it'd be the best idea that any company has every done. Sony and Nintendo don't have anything ready to be able to sniff at the sales that MS would get if they did this.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes, especially when you're a fan of MS.

Cold_As_Ice
11-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Why don't we make a petition?:rolleyes:

Cold_As_Ice
11-11-2003, 09:00 AM
You do know how unrealistic that idea is Casp. Many people are just so hyped up over Halo 2 that they will try to beleive any kind of new information released about it. I really think, even with the Halo series, that press coverage prior to Halo 2's release would be very benificial to the amount of units of the game that are purchased by consumers. Yes, Halo has a very large fan base, but regardless, press coverage would push sales of the game even futher.

Cottrau
11-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Shadow20002
Microsoft itself explained back in the Summer that Halo 2 was scheduled for a 2004 release. And with Bungie's near refusal to offer new details, media or any promotional material whatsoever in recent months, you don't have to be Hercule blinking Poirot to deduce that the game probably isn't scheduled to put in an appearance any time soon.

three things that tell you "i told you so":

1) Bungie doesn't play the ******* game and play with release dates... they won't tell you when it's coming out, because while they don't do it themselves, they don't mind that other people keep saying it will come out in spring.

2) ALL of Microsofts bestsellers have been released in the 4th Quarter of the year...

3) Microsoft always builds up hype by releasing premature release dates. When they say a 2004 release, and 2004 is only a month away, you can bet it's still a year away.... because that's what they do.. and psychologically.. that's what will sell more Halo 2's when it comes out.

Additionally, The box art for Halo 2 hasn't even been released yet.. that always comes out a few months before the game...

Casper
11-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Cold_As_Ice
You do know how unrealistic that idea is Casp. Many people are just so hyped up over Halo 2 that they will try to beleive any kind of new information released about it. I really think, even with the Halo series, that press coverage prior to Halo 2's release would be very benificial to the amount of units of the game that are purchased by consumers. Yes, Halo has a very large fan base, but regardless, press coverage would push sales of the game even futher.

Really though, when has MS really marketed games besides at an electronics outlet. They don't advertise on TV that much, more often the games already released.

I dunno, I took a few business classes before and this is definitely a possibility in my eyes as it's the best way to screw over your competitor. Really though, if you know anything about video games, you will definitely know about Halo....so why not just shock the gaming world and do it? They won't lose anything on marketing and gain a crap load on console and game sales.

Let the countdown to find out who's right or wrong begin......

Duke
11-11-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't think it will be released till at least the spring.

But other than that, I agree w/ Casper. A surprise Halo launch, w/out months of ad hype wouldn't hurt sales at all. Sure, it could hurt opening day sales, but that's about it.

Halo is, and Halo 2 will probably be, a console seller. While advertising is great, some things just advertise themselves. Sure ads wouldn't hurt, but when something as big as Halo 2 hits the shelves, everyone will know about it, hardcore gamer or not. Hell, just the surprise launch would garner enough media coverage to more than make up for the lack thereof in MS's part.

SplitboXer-XBC
11-11-2003, 11:14 AM
I like that they only say "it will be released when it's done" meaning, they are not going to release a half made crap game. With patients comes perfection.

Cold_As_Ice
11-11-2003, 11:20 AM
All I have to say is that assumption is the mother of all F_ _ _ ups. Why would Bungie take the risk of releasing it on an unsuspecting public. Yes, your point is relevent, and yes, your probably right about your theory. I just can't see Microsoft allowing this kind of marketing, even with a hot property such as Halo.

xbox genius
11-11-2003, 11:48 AM
holy crap spring 2004?? thats longer than waht i expected. i thought it would come out around Febuary .... well at least i can play other games while i wait for halo2........ man i have to take an SAT test in spring... i hope halo2 comes out after the SAT or else i'm gonna be screwed by playing halo2 haha

Covenant Comm.
11-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Casper
You don't need press coverage for this game, are you kidding? IF they just went out on Nov. 15th and announced that it would be coming out on Black Friday, the gaming industry would be amazed and it'd be the best idea that any company has every done. Sony and Nintendo don't have anything ready to be able to sniff at the sales that MS would get if they did this.

I totally agree with you Casper. And I don’t understand how some of you people can say they will lose money because if they don’t advertise. But if they tell us it coming out on black Friday that’s 2 weeks in advance of it release so obviously everyone would find out some how and they could also have commercials set up. It also would be the biggest game of the season period. All their doing is waiting till 15th to tell use the date on Xbox’s birthday. How cant you believe it either it’s very very possible.

Jafo232
11-11-2003, 04:46 PM
I just don't forsee any suprise when it comes to HALO2. You have to ramp up distribution for a game of this magnitude that it would get leaked immediately if they tried a suprise release.

There are just too many people in the distribution team to keep a secret launch secret, especially HALO2.

Could you imagine a release on Black Friday? There would be so many people exchanging their games they got on Xmas to get HALO2, it wold be ridiculous, especially during a time when most distributors are trying to reduce stock.

JMendes
11-11-2003, 07:30 PM
I agree with Casper....

First of all Bungie would be already making lots of money because they wouldn't have to spends millions on advertising and everyone and everyone's grandparents know about HALO. If one person saw Halo at EBGAMES the news would be out in a matter of minutes. I would walk right out of my college courses or skip classes for the whole day if i have to. HALO 2 will be the best seller of all time, unless there is a HALO 3, which u can bet ur ass on.

gerbil
11-11-2003, 09:14 PM
.. ah yes! HALO3

well, we'll stick with the title of this tread instead :D

Stormlord
11-11-2003, 09:27 PM
I think you mean the best seller on Xbox. There's many more games that have reached 10 million and Halo only sold around 4 mil. But yeah it will be big time news since it'll seem like time has frozen to Sony and Nintendo when Halo 2 is out. I just don't think MS is gonna release Halo 2 if Bungie said they can't finish it within 2003. But to add to the possible November release date thing. Everyone anticipates Halo 2 for the expansion of the story and Xbox Live. November 15 is the 1 year anniversary of Live and many Live gamers are gonna have to renew the subscription. What better than to have Halo 2 to get everyone to renew? But that's only a suspicion. But I still think 2004 will be the year.

plpkb
11-11-2003, 09:58 PM
I dont think you can launch a game without telling anyone. If it was such a good idea then we wouldnt have heard about half life 2 which is a sure fire hit or doom 3 or any big game. The fact is you want big first day/week sales. You cant buy press better then Halo2 sells 1mill on first day. Or the feeding frenzy hype of the soon to come game. Lets say halo came out 11-12 without warning. I bet lots of people wouldnt have any idea it was out, some people wouldnt have the cash on hand, some people might have to plan a trip/mail order games also.