PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the UK

Devis
11-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Howdy All,

I'm having a little trouble finding out some info. I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a hand.

Heres the deal, my company is shipping me to the UK for at least 3 years. And I dont want to leave my XBOX or buy a new xbox, and all the games i have.

I contact Microsoft and they said they could convert my xbox for free (i have to pay shipping) to the UK standard! But then my games and live will not work.

SOO to make a long story short, I have figured out that I can just bring my Xbox with me. I know it display's differently, but my company is also giving me a HITACHI HDTV LCD project, that displays both NTSC and PAL, and works in Canada and the UK, so the video part is fixed!! now what do i do about POWER! Can anyone help? I have no idea what to do? What power does my xbox pull, and can i just pickup a converter at Radio Shack? I also understand the games overthere wont work in my North America Xbox, which is ok, becuase my parents will ship North American games to me.

If anyone could give me a hand that would be great!!

PapaSKooT
11-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Dont quote me on this, but i believe that there are converters for power :)

Devis
11-13-2003, 05:59 PM
I thought there would be but i cant find any on the internet.

But there are bunch of normal power converters, but you need to know how much power the Xbox pulls.

CC-CRC
11-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Call some electronics stores and say your problem... also if your company is gonna get you some nice TV's then ask for a converter... couldn't hurt.

X-Fan
11-13-2003, 10:56 PM
dude i'd say trade in all ur xbox stuff for cash or ebay it then when u to the uk u can always get everything that way ther would be no conversion and shipping hassles.?

DocHoliday78
11-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by X-Fan
dude i'd say trade in all ur xbox stuff for cash or ebay it then when u to the uk u can always get everything that way ther would be no conversion and shipping hassles.?

Thats not a bad idea actually. Isnt stuff in the uk cheaper anway?

Chaotic
11-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Dude the UK is fun. Where exactly are you going to be? London?

-AVE|\|GER-
11-14-2003, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the U.K mate. you'll love it

sojourner
11-14-2003, 01:32 PM
All you need to do is bring the lot with you and when you arrive just buy a step down transformer. Your US box will work a treat and you can still buy your games in ntsc format from peeps in the UK. Better still Im sure there are peeps from xba or friends can send you them. I was thinking of buying a US box just to beat this awful region crap so in a word or two youll be AOK!
Btw where are you goin to, Scotland, Wales or England?:cheers:

Devis
11-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks Guys,

It seems I will be alright. I'm pretty excited about moving to a wicked Country like the UK. At first we are staying at my wife's grandmas house in Surrey, Walton-on-Thames. But my office is in Berksire(sp?) so i need to find a place around there evenutally.

IF anyone is in the UK drop me an email if you want to play a Canuck sometime, I'll kick yer a$$ at Fifa! ;)

Warren

sojourner
11-14-2003, 05:22 PM
lol mabye FIFA but meet me on the links and we'll see what yer made of, hehe. See ye around for a round if you know what I mean. :cheers:

Devis
11-14-2003, 05:26 PM
HAha,

Well you know, I come from a country where the golf courses are not just flat, we have MOUNTAINS AND LAKES! Not just some small and old course up north ;)

Warren

sojourner
11-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Aye! there's a style about ye!. We'll see who's blowin thier trumpet soon I hope! :D :wink:

Nyphur
11-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Devis
Thanks Guys,

It seems I will be alright. I'm pretty excited about moving to a wicked Country like the UK. At first we are staying at my wife's grandmas house in Surrey, Walton-on-Thames. But my office is in Berksire(sp?) so i need to find a place around there evenutally.

you'll be about 25 minutes away from me, you should feel proud