PDA

View Full Version : Returning My Xbox

Se7en
11-14-2003, 06:00 AM
...don't worry, it's not what you think though...

I have a Launch Console, and it's been locking up a lot lately w/ Morrowind, both GTA games, and I also had a tough time playing my Family Guy DVDs.

So what I'm wondering here is- If I buy a new one from WalMart, and put the 'old' one in the box, can I return it? Or do they take down the serial # (from the Xbox) anywhere in their system or on reciepts? Yeah, I know it's dishonest, but I haven't got that much $$$ in the first place. And really the Launch boxes are far inferior to the current Xboxes. -Plus I paid more for mine initially anyways.

Have any of you done this? And how did it go? Serious replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

CarGuy
11-14-2003, 06:31 AM
PM me.

Third Eye
11-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Heh give us an update if you try

Kortiz
11-15-2003, 02:59 PM
you gotsa get dat warranty yo.

ScottTheKilla
11-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Instead of buying a whole new xbox and go through all that trouble why dont you just get a new dvd drive. If you have one of the original xboxes then you probably have a thomson dvd drive in it and they suck. The DVD drive dying is what causes games not to be recognized and dirty disc errors. You want a samsung and thats what the new xboxes have.

I really dont think the whole buying a new xbox and sending the old back in the new box will work. They will match the numbers and the numbers wont match up.

ARONO129
11-15-2003, 06:51 PM
I've heard that people have done "The switch". I think stores scan the UPC on the box not the serial number on the console. If you do it why not get the Xbox just before Christmas and "return" it after Christmas.

Good luck.:cheers:

BananaMan
11-15-2003, 07:58 PM
i have a launch console also(bought it the first day) and it has problems with GTA and other stuff.. for example it can't play CD-R, it has quite a few DDE, and other things.:mad: but i don't have enough cash(5 bucks lol(pitiful)) so i can't exchange it

ColdStone
11-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Well what I am going todo is when I get the money to do so later on this month I am going to turn in my OLd Xbox, I got it last year at Christmas, and try to get a Samsung Xbox. I know theres a way to tell whther or not the Xbox in the retail box is a Samsung or not, but how exactly I dunno. I have been asking around and so far I have come up with two ideas. Look as the serial number on the Xbox itself and try to match it with a Samsung serial build date, or try to find a Xbox which was built in China. All I know is dont get one which was built in Mexico! Can any one confirm this?

ARONO129
11-15-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by ColdStone
Well what I am going todo is when I get the money to do so later on this month I am going to turn in my OLd Xbox, I got it last year at Christmas, and try to get a Samsung Xbox. I know theres a way to tell whther or not the Xbox in the retail box is a Samsung or not, but how exactly I dunno. I have been asking around and so far I have come up with two ideas. Look as the serial number on the Xbox itself and try to match it with a Samsung serial build date, or try to find a Xbox which was built in China. All I know is dont get one which was built in Mexico! Can any one confirm this?

There was a post here about a year ago with a link to a site where you can check your Xbox serial number and the site will tell you which drive you most likely have. The site claims it's not 100% accurate. Does anyone remember which site?

IMO two years after launch it would be unlikely for you to get an older launch Xbox but like someone said the best thing is buying the extended warranty.

ScottTheKilla
11-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ColdStone

Hey I know theres a way to discover which version xbox you have based on serial #s and manufacturer dates but It doesnt really have anything to do with what dvd drive is in it plus its not always reliable. I know pretty much all the xboxes made this year have samsung. Thomson is probably first 6 months of the xbox release and I guess Phillips in between. Another very simple way of telling what drive you have is buy looking at this picture. The only thing is I dont know is how you would get the store to show you before you buy unless maybe you just return it if you dont get what you want. Anyway the dvd tray tells you what kind of drive you have....

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/161103-drives.bmp