PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Voice Recognition a Hit with Gamers

Shadow20002
11-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Fonix(R) Corporation, a global provider of easy-to-use speech solutions, announces the availability of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3, published by Ubisoft, and SWAT: Global Strike Team, published by Vivendi Universal Games, the first two games using Fonix voice command technology on the Xbox(R) video game system from Microsoft.

"The introduction of voice command to the player's experience heralds an entirely new level of game play," says Brian Schmidt, program manager of voice technology of Xbox. "Gamers love the increased interaction and realism. And developers can easily implement Fonix speech technology with the Xbox developer's kit (XDK). Demand from gamers for this cool feature, and the ease in which developer's can utilize the technology, will become market drivers for voice in the games industry."

Gamers are discovering the heightened excitement and fun of voice commands. As one reviewer says, "The use of the Xbox Live Communicator further immerses gamers into the already stellar game play of RS3 (Rainbow Six 3). RS3 isn't the first console game to use a headset and voice recognition, but it certainly is the best implemented to date. I've never had so much fun looking like an idiot, yelling at my TV." (Horus, TeamXbox.com, October 30, 2003)

Another reviewer focuses on the ease and accuracy of using voice commands, "Using the Communicator is as simple as it gets, gamers simply speak the orders. Though at first it feels a bit awkward to be talking to the television, the system works very well, even in the heat of battle." (Rod Oracheski, Gamingworldx.com) With voice commands, the game experience just keeps getting better and more realistic.

Xbox makes it easy for developers to add these adrenaline-pumping features to games. "Microsoft's platform opened the doors to what our team was able to do with this new game," says Michael McCoy of Ubisoft Montreal, developer of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3. "Voice commands really enhance the player's experience, and the Xbox XDK allows for easy implementation of the voice technology."

"Games based on the Xbox platform are definitely upping the ante in the industry," says Tim K. Hong, vice president of Fonix Mobile Wireless. "Players will come to expect voice command features, and developers will have to deliver in order to keep up with market demand. Microsoft and Fonix provide the easy-to-use tools developers need to create a truly engaging gaming experience."

Cyber_Ryuu
11-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Let me be the first to say this....DUHHHH. Haha j/m good post. It is a great innovation and does wonders for realism.

LynxFX
11-14-2003, 03:55 PM
It is pretty cool although still has some bugs, and why didn't they document it in the Rainbow Six 3 manual? There is supposed to be 80+ commands you can do and they list 14? Well what are the others? That's annoying.

As for the bugs I forgot that I had my headset still on after playing on Live and I started up a campaign. Halfway through a level I said something like "Die you SOB" or whatever, and I get a response "Roger, Moving now". It was kinda fun saying all sorts of stuff and watching them respond every once in awhile. :)

ScottTheKilla
11-14-2003, 05:31 PM
I yell crap and my team throws a grenade. They think I said frag..lol

memphissheik
11-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA
It is pretty cool although still has some bugs, and why didn't they document it in the Rainbow Six 3 manual? There is supposed to be 80+ commands you can do and they list 14? Well what are the others? That's annoying.

As for the bugs I forgot that I had my headset still on after playing on Live and I started up a campaign. Halfway through a level I said something like "Die you SOB" or whatever, and I get a response "Roger, Moving now". It was kinda fun saying all sorts of stuff and watching them respond every once in awhile. :)

80 commands???!!!!!!!!!!!!
*dive bombs the bed searching for rainbow six*

I'm going in fella's..and don't try and stop me

LynxFX
11-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Ah, not as exciting of commands as I thought.

From an interview:

Instead of just being able to say “Demo up” to have your team disarm a bomb, you can also say “Defuse bomb”, “Defuse it”, “Defuse”, “Disarm bomb”, Disarm it”, “Disarm”, “Do it”, and “Use it”. In addition we added a voice command that always issues the default order to your team for where you’re looking. Just say “Go, go, go” and you can command your team to do just about anything.
So multiple commands to do the same thing will probably add up quick.