PDA

View Full Version : Abusing the "Live" banner.

LynxFX
11-15-2003, 05:51 PM
I must say that I'm disappointed with how Microsoft is letting game developers use the Live banner even for games that are just "Live Aware". It is a pointless and deceiving act that is just adding more confusion than actually helping. I don't even think that games that have downloadable content should be considered "Live" games and sport the banner. Microsoft should have, or should right now, develope a different logo for both Downloadable Content, and Live Aware.

I noticed on the xbox.com/live site that they are bragging about 50+ Live games out now. Of course they count games like Prince of Persia which is only "Live Aware" and has zero playability on Live as well as no downloadable content. Sorry, but that isn't a Live game.

This is no better than Apple claiming to be the fastest computer ever based on biased/tweaked applications from their own personal benchmarks. It is a low move on their part.

blonks
11-15-2003, 05:53 PM
stupid fake banners........... just at least have a sticker that says live aware title...downloadable content

Casper
11-15-2003, 05:53 PM
I'm right with ya Lynx. I noticed this the other day and was pretty shocked at it. Why would they even bother with it? If it's Live playable, then yes, but if it's just DLC or Aware, then get a different logo, don't fluff yourself with crap that's not correct, it only makes MS look worse in the long run. :cuss:

MerimacHamwich
11-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Technically they do use Xbox Live though. So if you are buying the game hoping to use all of its features, then you should know you need Xbox Live for some of them. Thus the Live banner.

I personally don't have a problem with it. I think have seperate banners would only confuse the general public more. Having that one Live banner lets poeple know if it takes advantage of Xbox Live or not.

E Nomini Patri
11-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Technically they do use Xbox Live though. So if you are buying the game hoping to use all of its features, then you should know you need Xbox Live for some of them. Thus the Live banner.

I personally don't have a problem with it. I think have seperate banners would only confuse the general public more. Having that one Live banner lets poeple know if it takes advantage of Xbox Live or not.

But if you buy a game thinking you can play it online and you can't, you'd be really really mad.

Snoopy7548
11-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsFanMan

But if you buy a game thinking you can play it online and you can't, you'd be really really mad.

that's why you check the back of the box...

LynxFX
11-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

Then why have the banner at all?

As for confusing the general public just look at this forum. Scroll down a bit to the Prince of Persia Live thread. If it confuses 'addicts' it is going to really confuse the soccer mom's buying gifts for their kids.

"Well we just got him Xbox Live, now I need some Live games so he can play with his buddies. Oh, look this says live right on the cover."

I don't buy the "It takes advantage of the Live service so deserves the Live banner". I am paying for a service to allow me to play games online with other people, not so other people can see what game I'm playing by myself. It is flat out stupid and I'll say again, a disservice. I could almost accept the downloadable content, even though I don't believe that is what the Live service is for either, but Live aware doesn't deserve it one bit.

Snoopy7548
11-15-2003, 06:42 PM
yeah, i guess. for games with DLC, they should change the Live banner to like a different color and have it say "Xbox Live Downloadable Content". or something like that.

TRINITY-6
11-15-2003, 06:44 PM
it seem's like a really bad marketing ploy for the unaware.i just bought a xbox a few day's ago and it claimed 2 months of xbox live for free,sadly when i opened it there was no head set communicator with it as well as no demos.and communication is the biggest part of xbox live(as far as ive seen in all of there marketing campaign/advertisment/commercial's) so now im going to have to spend the extra money on the headset and miss out on the demo's.so in the long run i would have been better off to have just bought it seperate.>bad marketing at it's best<but it's all good.you cant blame microsoft for it when the whole world is guilty of it as well.>research+reading the fine print's fine print is going to be my primary objective when going out to buy anything else of this nature..

TRINITY-6

:cheers:

Stormlord
11-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Yeah I agree. I thought Conflict Desert Storm II would be Live online but wasn't. Thankfully I didn't buy cause I did check the back because it's a habbit. Downloadable content lable should be green since if they ever make one.

BananaMan
11-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by TRINITY-6
it seem's like a really bad marketing ploy for the unaware.i just bought a xbox a few day's ago and it claimed 2 months of xbox live for free,sadly when i opened it there was no head set communicator with it as well as no demos.and communication is the biggest part of xbox live(as far as ive seen in all of there marketing campaign/advertisment/commercial's) so now im going to have to spend the extra money on the headset and miss out on the demo's.so in the long run i would have been better off to have just bought it seperate.&gt;bad marketing at it's best&lt;but it's all good.you cant blame microsoft for it when the whole world is guilty of it as well.&gt;research+reading the fine print's fine print is going to be my primary objective when going out to buy anything else of this nature..

TRINITY-6

:cheers:

dude what do you expect a free 30 dollar headset in yer xbox? suuure it says trial so of course your not goin to get a headset:cheers:

jhurraw
11-15-2003, 09:11 PM
deleted

dances with broom sticks
11-15-2003, 09:14 PM
I agree completely. No were in the xbox live ads that I have read did it say, "Your friends will know what game your playing by yourself" therefore it isnt part of the live I paid for.

I find it very annoying, but I understand their reasoning. If I am looking at games, the last ones I pick up are the ones with no live thing.

Basically if it isnt an RPG ( or something that is understandably not multiplayer ) and doesnt have the live banner, I wont look at it.

E Nomini Patri
11-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

Ya gotta remember that some don't know crap about games, like parents, as mentioned above.

Some of my friends were wondering why Cabela's Deer Hunt had the banner. They thought you could be the deer or something while other people hunted you. :eek:

Brizzzer-XBC
11-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey do you remember that one year free subscription that you get with XBox live startier kits. Well If bought it in Jan like me. Your free subscription ends Dec 15. Thats a month early for me. :(

Shadow20002
11-15-2003, 11:33 PM
The best way is get what you want.....do not trust your parents and them to get what you want. :p

robnyack
11-16-2003, 09:36 AM
it's simple....you see the LIVE banner, you pick the game up, flip it over and see what kind of live features it has.

AlBoogy
11-16-2003, 09:44 AM
I actually think Microsoft encourages the companies to put it there. Why? So they can say, "we have over 100 games in development that take advantage of xbox live."

Snake Eyez
11-16-2003, 10:23 AM
To me it seems like they are technically correct, but a bit shady at the same time. It helps market XBL by expanding the game list, but it hurts those you aren't as aware of what's going on. I would like to see mutiple colors for the multiple features.

gerbil
11-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
I actually think Microsoft encourages the companies to put it there. Why? So they can say, &quot;we have over 100 games in development that take advantage of xbox live.&quot;

the key word i guess is .. ".. take avantage of xbox live" ..

i guess having the logo xbox live ... includes playing the game.
.. or downloading new maps. :watchout:

feels like a false advertisement or something :huh:

Bakeman
11-16-2003, 02:30 PM
I guess it's cool to be playing a single player game.. then have your friend invite you in for a game of ESPN NFL or something like that.

Just seems weird that non-online games would be live aware...

If this is the case... EVERY game should be Live Aware from now on. That way we can always see friends online and join them no matter what game we are playing.