PDA

View Full Version : Racing Games Promote Speeding, Project Gotham Racing 2 to be Pulled from Shelves?

Shadow20002
11-17-2003, 06:26 PM
State Labor MP Paul Gibson, chairman of the Staysafe Committee, intends to take the matter up with the Office of Film and Literature Classification, which approves such games for sale in Australia, and which issued a G rating to Project Gotham Racing 2.

"This game sends the wrong message to young people. It is actually glorifying speed and power," Mr Gibson said. "It is clearly an inappropriate depiction of speed behaviour. If I had my way I would ban it."

There is no research into how racing games affect the attitudes of young drivers. But, Mr Gibson said, there is enough research into risk-taking behaviour for there to be a concern.

"It's better to be safe than sorry."

Source@ (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/15/1068674436769.html)

daneford
11-17-2003, 06:28 PM
thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, I'll be getting PGR2 tomorrow hopefully, so they wont screw ME over! muahaha:D

CarGuy
11-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Wow, how ignorant is that? I hate politicians.

deophite
11-17-2003, 06:58 PM
sounds ridiculous to me

LiquidX
11-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Hey people, its not the game makers fault your kids a dumba**!

Peepers
11-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002
State Labor MP Paul Gibson, chairman of the Staysafe Committee, intends to take the matter up with the Office of Film and Literature Classification, which approves such games for sale in Australia, and which issued a G rating to Project Gotham Racing 2.

"This game sends the wrong message to young people. It is actually glorifying speed and power," Mr Gibson said. "It is clearly an inappropriate depiction of speed behaviour. If I had my way I would ban it."

There is no research into how racing games affect the attitudes of young drivers. But, Mr Gibson said, there is enough research into risk-taking behaviour for there to be a concern.

"It's better to be safe than sorry."

Source@ (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/15/1068674436769.html)

We need to silence Mr. Paul Gibson. Exposing his rhetoric to young impressionables could encourage stupidity.

LiquidX
11-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Peepers

We need to silence Mr. Paul Gibson. Exposing his rhetoric to young impressionables could encourage stupidity.

EXACTLY!!! I hate these people who want something else to blame their kids problems on. If your kid took a gun and killed a bunch of people because of GTA they had something wrong to begin with. If they speed because of a video game theyre a dumba** to begin with.

LTM360
11-17-2003, 07:51 PM
I hate politicians too. Halo didnt cause the sniper shootings, GTA didnt cause a friend killing a friend, Doom didnt cause a school shooting, Mortal Kombat didnt cause a friend to stab a friend.

l Maximus l
11-17-2003, 09:09 PM
One of these days, polititians will realize that playing any game, a person is simply acting as the role of someone or something they are not.

For instance, I'm not a professional racer in real life, however, in Nascar Thunder, I am.

I'm not the head Marine and superhuman in the year 2552 and saving the universe of evil in real life...however, I am when I play Halo.

I am not a professional snowboarder in real life, however, I am when I play Amped or Amped 2.

I can go on and on......Paul Gibson is an idiot and should go back to playing with his slinky.

Peepers
11-17-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
One of these days, polititians will realize that playing any game, a person is simply acting as the role of someone or something they are not.

For instance, I'm not a professional racer in real life, however, in Nascar Thunder, I am.

I'm not the head Marine and superhuman in the year 2552 and saving the universe of evil in real life...however, I am when I play Halo.

I am not a professional snowboarder in real life, however, I am when I play Amped or Amped 2.

I can go on and on......Paul Gibson is an idiot and should go back to playing with his slinky.

No Maxy, you're still an overweight homer look-a-like. We all are--or are on our way to becoming one. Sad but true...Ooopsy Peepers forgot to take his medicine!

Trento52
11-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Project gotham racing deosn't even have traffic in it or people to run over. Why do they pick on good xbox games. mario kart double dash has people throw things at cars around them. This guy is so dum.

Kortiz
11-18-2003, 12:22 AM
*stops playing GTA3 for the day* IM GONNA GO KEEL THAT BIAIAIAIATCH!!!!!!!!

WHERE IS MY GOD DAMN GUN!!!

mordecai
11-18-2003, 12:26 AM
I agree that any kid deciding he's going to emulate a game he was playing earlier and then blame the developers for"encouraging" him to do it needs real psychiatric help but don't accuse all politicians of being idiots. Sure there are some really dumb ones who can't handle dealing with issues so the find the cheapest scape goat on the block to blame it on yet we never hear much about the good politicians, you know, the ones who chose to do a job where everyone will hate them because they have some morals and wish to make there country better. Ehh, it's just my opinion(and don't get me wrong I would rather the state were gone but right now we really need those poeple).

prakeem
11-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Riiiiiiight. I'm gonna play PRG 2 for a few days, then jump into my little 1.3L civic and rip up the streets in my neighbourhood, just like O.J............ :watchout: , heck, maybe I'll even execute the launch of my secret RPG's out of my fog lamps while I'm at it...... :eek:

Se7en
11-18-2003, 06:27 AM
Sue God.

Okay? Stick with me on this one:

Morons inspire Paul Gibson.
Racing games inspire (some) morons.
The automobile inspires racing games.
Man creates the automobile.
God creates man.

And that my friends, is the beauty of the "Trickle Down" effect.

(Read each sentence from last to first if you don't follow).

Chaotic
11-18-2003, 07:51 AM
I won't even begin to rant about this latest smell of BS, so i'll just give it a quick :rolleyes:

JediMasterChief
11-18-2003, 08:53 AM
It is a possibility that it influences speed. But only idiots fall for this stuff and Mr. Gibson is truly a non-gamer who probably grew up without a TV. Racing games are an essential part of the game industry. Plus most car accidents are caused by alcohol and not necessarily influence from racing games.

It would be awfully stupid if they banned some racing games, especially ones such as PGR2.

George89
11-18-2003, 12:06 PM
Well..........they needed something to blame speeding on..............right?

Brevity
11-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Wow all my thoughts on this have pritty much been expressed by others regarding this topicin this thread. But I would also like to chime in with the fact that there are many older Americans that buy into all this horse s4!t, so this jack off really does gain some support of idiot ideas like this; I know thats sad. But on the other hand he losses some too. However who do you think voted him into office in the first place? Was it younger people like our us? No it was those people who likely belong to AARP, this single biggest voting block in the US.

Chr0nik
11-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Maybe politicians should be going after car manufacturers that produce vehicules capable of reaching 250mph instead of video game makers.

I bet this Gibson fellow would be the first person to burn a light or speed in a school zone.

mattgame
11-18-2003, 02:02 PM
This barely deserves a comment. I mean, so this guy must want all car chases on tv and the silver screen banned or censored. Come on, he can't be serious. He is trying to impress someone but God only knows who. Hell, car commercials promote speed and power, that's what sells right? He isn't even worth the thought. F him. :mad:

dd deeznuts
11-18-2003, 03:52 PM
those stupid aussies are a bunch of whiny *****s oh no cars are bad better ban it oh no that game has a gun in it better ban it why not they just ban every thing cause it might make some one hurt some body. those *****s need to grow some balls instead of there huge ******s they grown instead

Sharky53
11-18-2003, 10:38 PM
yes when i play racing games i always want to go driving really fast weaving through traffic.....thats so stpuid

Cryogenic Pyro
11-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Chronik
Maybe politicians should be going after car manufacturers that produce vehicules capable of reaching 250mph instead of video game makers.

I bet this Gibson fellow would be the first person to burn a light or speed in a school zone.
He's probably also one that would say, "Hey, my Alphabits say Oooooooo."(Shameless Family Guy rip-off :D)

This guy goes way beyond having a few loose screws, he's got no screws left because someone opened up his head and lifted out his brain while he wasn't paying attention.

Since when do driving games promote speeding in real life? Never. Do people want to speed? Yes. Why? Because going fast rules, not because a game promotes it.

Politicians are idiots. I have yet to see a politician make a public statement without a load of garbage spewing from his or her green teeth whether it be lies, or things he or she thinks are true, but which are lies, and the idiots eat that garbage up.

The state of the world has me in total amazement at the moment. That's all I have to say.

xbox genius
11-18-2003, 11:51 PM
man i hate it when politcians talk bad about games, games in my opinion does not make you wanna do illegal stuff. games are made to have fun, they just take things too seriously...

maybe that dude never knew what fun was like. maybe he was grown up very strictly and whipped by his parents, and grew up to stop the fun us gamers have. i dunno, but all this bad games crap is stupid. let games be.

mordecai
11-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Chronik certainley has the reason people get into accidents. If your making cars that can go twice as fast as they should be(legalley) in your whole continent, you may want to re-think your policies on gaming related speeding. And every add for a car features it speeding :cuss: what's promoting speeding now Mr. Paul Gibson!

pepitonet
11-19-2003, 12:32 AM
if some retarder kid can't make the difference from a ficticial role from a real life role then that kid should be locked away,it is not Video Games fault he/she was borned dumb and therefore can't difference reality from fiction. why punish us that know that we can't use out lightsaber on the streets or we will......never mind that anywho that is just a way for him to gain popularity since most OLD non gamers adult don't like kids playing video games

MerimacHamwich
11-19-2003, 12:57 AM
I dunno, after playing Rallisport challenge I now enjoy swerving around icy corners. I don't do it on purpose, but when it happens, it sure as hell is fun.

dd deeznutz, you are the bleeping bleep bleep for generalizing a whole continent of being bleeping bleep bleep. I hope you bleep in bleep.

Wonder why he hasn't been banned yet. Seems he tries to elude the swear censor in every single thread and offends at least one group of poeple.