PDA

View Full Version : fps master controller

bababanachos
11-18-2003, 04:00 PM
i am thinking about getting a fbs master controller and i have no idea if it is worth it do any of u peeps know????

LynxFX
11-18-2003, 04:25 PM
I checked it out at Best Buy this weekend to see how it feels. Cosmetically, it looks and feels kinda cheap.

Functionally I think it may have an advantage.

The A, B, X, Y buttons are located on the both the right and left handles as trigger buttons that you would hit with your middle and ring fingers. Then there is the actual triggers as well. The purpose is to keep your thumbs on the analog sticks at all times. The black and white buttons are the cheapest buttons by far and look like they were just thrown on. They are in a decent location though.

I may actually buy it and review it, but only from a place that allows returns. Would hate to get stuck with a bad controller....again. :)

It was definately comfortable to hold.

SnoochyBoochy
11-18-2003, 05:12 PM
i might grab one b/c i spilled pepsi on one of my type-s controllers. or i could just clean it... :-\

hmm

FragMaster B
11-18-2003, 05:24 PM
It's getting decent reviews out there for what thats worth...
Reviews (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=fps+xbox+controller+review)

I need to go by CC and see if they've got em.

LynxFX
11-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks Frag. The reviews are pretty favorable. I may look into getting this one.

bababanachos
11-18-2003, 06:18 PM
ok i might get one but what games might are good for the controller (I play lan halo matches every month)

Duke
11-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by bababanachos
ok i might get one but what games might are good for the controller (I play lan halo matches every month)

:huh:
Off the top of my head, I'd say...................FPS

Peepers
11-18-2003, 07:42 PM
This looks like a cool controller. I don't know how much advantage it would give you though. Maybe a very slight edge in some close quarter combat (if there were melee atttacks like in Halo). I don't know. I'll wait for one of you shmucks to get this and tell me how it works in the real world of Xbox Live.

mordecai
11-18-2003, 11:08 PM
I hadn't heard about this controller yet but I think I may buy one. While I was playing Halo, I had thought that a controller like that would be really helpfull but I had no idea someone would actually make it.

bigcheat
11-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Personally I didn't like the feel of it and the only reason i say that is my hands were too big for the button lay out. My finger didnt rest comfortable on the buttons along the two handles. Now i do think if the controller fits your hands well it would be good.......atleat they have it so you can hold on the controller before you buy it. Too bad there couldnt be a controller with some type of gel sensor pads that would sense where your fingers were and then by pressing a certain finger on the gel, it would activate a function. So say everything the same on that controller but instead of having the buttons along the handles, have the gel sensor pad there.............now that would be the s**t

ScottTheKilla
11-19-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by bigcheat
Personally I didn't like the feel of it and the only reason i say that is my hands were too big for the button lay out. My finger didnt rest comfortable on the buttons along the two handles. Now i do think if the controller fits your hands well it would be good.......atleat they have it so you can hold on the controller before you buy it. Too bad there couldnt be a controller with some type of gel sensor pads that would sense where your fingers were and then by pressing a certain finger on the gel, it would activate a function. So say everything the same on that controller but instead of having the buttons along the handles, have the gel sensor pad there.............now that would be the s**t

As long as the ad campaign doesnt have any gellin like magellan slogans lol

Seriously though this controller looks kinda cool. Too bad its not cordless though but not too shabby for $29.

RagunCajun
11-19-2003, 05:17 AM
I think the joy sticks need to have a good feel like the microsoft ones. Also they need to be tight in movment...not a loose stick. I'd like to try one though. To bad you cant rent controlers at blockbuster.

T-FiNGeR
11-19-2003, 06:22 AM
Can som1 plz post a pic of this thing? I really wanna see it but havent seen a pic of it yet...:eek:

SnoochyBoochy
11-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by T-FiNGeR
Can som1 plz post a pic of this thing? I really wanna see it but havent seen a pic of it yet...:eek:

http://www.frictionlessinsight.com/Hardware/FPSMaster/FPSMaster.jpg

FragMaster B
11-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by RagunCajun
To bad you cant rent controlers at blockbuster.

You CAN rent controllers at Circuit City. Can you say "30 day money back guarantee with no questions asked"?

Duke
11-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by FragMaster B

You CAN rent controllers at Circuit City. Can you say "30 day money back guarantee with no questions asked"?

Haven't seen this at any retail store. Only online. Is it in your Circuit City?

FragMaster B
11-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn

Haven't seen this at any retail store. Only online. Is it in your Circuit City?

Haven't been to CC in a while. May be time for a trip. Lynx said earlier that he fondled it at Best Buy...

DocHoliday78
11-19-2003, 12:12 PM
I wana hold this thing and then i will decide of its that much better. I hate the narrow controller S's along with ps2 controllers. This seems to be in that sort of shape. Maybe gamestop will have one.

LynxFX
11-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Yeah it was out at Best Buy, but I checked Circuit City yesterday (was going to try the 30 day money back guarantee) and they didn't have any. I asked and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. :(

Edit: A quick check. CC doesn't even have it on their online store so doubt they are getting any anytime soon.
Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1064000347204&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08127) has it though online.

FragMaster B
11-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA
Yeah it was out at Best Buy, but I checked Circuit City yesterday (was going to try the 30 day money back guarantee) and they didn't have any. I asked and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. :(

Edit: A quick check. CC doesn't even have it on their online store so doubt they are getting any anytime soon.
Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1064000347204&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08127) has it though online.

Thanks for the info Lynx. You saved me a trip down there to look. I'm sure I'll be in CC sometime before Xmas. I'll be on the lookout and alert the media if they do happen to get it.

DocHoliday78
11-19-2003, 03:58 PM
So CC has a 30 money back guaruntee?

FragMaster B
11-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78
So CC has a 30 money back guaruntee?

Um... ya...

http://www.circuitcity.com/cs_contentdisplay.jsp?c=1&b=g&incat=52608

For this reason, along with the 110% price match deal, they've become my store of choice as of lately. I freaking hate thier commision working sales bastages... but I've just learned to ignore them.

Peepers
11-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA
Thanks Frag. The reviews are pretty favorable. I may look into getting this one.

If you do, be sure to post an official review for the curious masses. :)

kenji
11-19-2003, 09:22 PM
I held it at Best By for about 5 minutes, and it felt unnatural to me somehow. I'm sure it takes some getting used to. One thing that I didn't like about it was the the buttons were almost sunk into the handles, so it felt almost smooth to touch. It was small for my hand so I had to curve my fingers to hit the buttons. One last thing that I didn't like, first impression of course, is that it felt and looked REALLY cheap, as in 10 bucks, but it is $30. Almost like if I dropped it, it would shatter into a million pieces.

I'm intrested and repelled by it at the same time.

Peepers
11-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by kenji
I held it at Best By for about 5 minutes, and it felt unnatural to me somehow. I'm sure it takes some getting used to. One thing that I didn't like about it was the the buttons were almost sunk into the handles, so it felt almost smooth to touch. It was small for my hand so I had to curve my fingers to hit the buttons. One last thing that I didn't like, first impression of course, is that it felt and looked REALLY cheap, as in 10 bucks, but it is $30. Almost like if I dropped it, it would shatter into a million pieces.

I'm intrested and repelled by it at the same time.

It's a tragedy that third-party hardware producers feel that they have to make discount crap. I would be highly interested in hardware from a "premium" maker--one that actually bests the quality of the first-party stuff. I have a felling that that was the purpose of the FPS master controller, but based on most of the comments here, like the one above, it sounds like they failed.

RagunCajun
11-21-2003, 01:46 AM
They have em at best buy. I Held it when i went buy NFSU. The controler didnt feel to good. The tiggers aer total crap. They dont recoil fast enough for my taste....the trigger travel is crappy too. Also the Black and white buttons are very hard to press. In other words...for $30.....nope. That 30 day money back thing is nice but dont abuse it.

l Maximus l
11-21-2003, 02:15 AM
I definately would like to try it, however, I doubt that it could match up to the Original XBox Controller. In fact, I won't even use an S-Controller for the simple fact that it's a different controller than the Original one :D

FragMaster B
11-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I definately would like to try it, however, I doubt that it could match up to the Original XBox Controller.

Hey now!

:cheers:

Maxi, I thought I was the only person who still used the original. I've tried that S-thing a few times, but it just doens't feel "right".

Chaotic
11-21-2003, 10:56 AM
I have one, at first i was getting my ass kicked in everygame i played because it was hard to control. Once i got used to it, it wasn't that bad. So basically the moral of the story is, i went back to my madcatz micron controller, for some reason i love this damn thing and can just control every game excellent with it.

Dirty DeStrO
11-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Standard controller users UNITE .... I have the S controller but I bought that for my girl to use. We need standard controllers to come out in colors. Petition MS. Take it to the streets. Power to the people. We will be heard.

Did I miss any?

Duke
11-21-2003, 12:15 PM
It's practically impossible to even find the originals anymore.

The S is crap. Can't use it. I have one for when people come over who prefer it, but not for me.

One night all my white buttons went to crap, so I was forced to use the S on GR. Needless to say, I played about 1 round and didn't play again till I'd fixed up the "duke"s

FragMaster B
11-21-2003, 01:09 PM
OK, I just hit gamestop down the street and thumbed this FPS Master. I liked it. Almost picked it up. It did feel a tad cheap tho. That may just be because it's so different than the regular controller. I dunno... I might go back and pick it up... I can def see the advantage it might offer to a FPS.

DocHoliday78
11-21-2003, 02:09 PM

Hey now!

:cheers:

Maxi, I thought I was the only person who still used the original. I've tried that S-thing a few times, but it just doens't feel "right".

Forget the S controllers. I am the only one of my friends that still uses the original.:cheers:

RagunCajun
11-21-2003, 07:07 PM
I thought I was the only person who still used the original. I've tried that S-thing a few times, but it just doens't feel "right".
about 95% of the xbc players use the stype or fatty types. That are the best built. I myself use the original xbox fatty kind with a blue led in it:). Id want to use the s-type but the right joystick isnt concave like the fatty. I might mod it, im not sure yet.

FragMaster B
11-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Well... I'm a weak man... I was just driving by GameStop and was FORCED to stop and pick the FPS Master up...

... Review Coming soon...

mordecai
11-22-2003, 01:21 PM
I bought my xbox about a half a year ago and was lucky enough to get a refurbished one. All the new ones were being sold with the controller S but since it had gone to Futureshop, back to microsoft, and then again to futureshop, it was actually old enough to have the original. It's the only controller I use.

Kortiz
11-22-2003, 02:06 PM
I guess I'm a p*ssy because I use the s-controller.

*shrug* I couldn't play Tony Hawk 3 with the original one, so I tried the S-type. Ever since then I have used the S-type controller for all of my games.

bababanachos
11-22-2003, 07:04 PM
i use the s controller because i have small hands and my right thumb barly touches the joystick on the original

FragMaster B
11-23-2003, 12:34 PM
OK, I haven't put in enough time with the FPS Master yet to write a REAL review, but I can give you my initial impressions:

I LIKE IT! It's very nice having all those buttons a your disposal without moving you hands across the controller. The left hand does the left thubmstick, L trigger, and middle and ring fingers on 2 of the main buttons (A and B I think). The right hand does the same. So you've 4 fingers from each hand ready to go at the drop of a hat. This is handy in more than just FPS games. The downside to this setup is that (for me anyway) you're using fingers to play that have never been used before. Up till this point, it's been all thumbs and index fingers, NOW I'm using just about all of them. This wore my forearms out after the first hour of play.

So, after I can get my middle and ring fingers callused up and buff like my thumb and index, I think this controller is gonna be sahweet! Currenty tho, it's a little slow as my ring and middle fingers don't take commands from my brain as quick as my trained thumb and index.

In short, the big question for everybody is "Should I buy it?". My answer at this point is a definite YES.

PS - So far I've played Halo (of Course I had to do that first) and Crimson skies. Planning on getting some more serious time in with it with Rainbow 6.