PDA

View Full Version : GTA double pack

BenWells
11-18-2003, 06:57 PM
just bought this and im having a problem . . . Vice City keeps freezing up. SOmetime it does and sometimes it doesnt. . . Its ******* me off. I polayed GTA3 and no freezes. It seems like when I use the custom soundtrack this happenes ? ANyone have any info on this or can help ?

Shadow20002
11-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Don't have it yet, but like you say, try it without the customs soundtracks. :p

LiquidX
11-18-2003, 07:03 PM
IVe had VC freeze on me one time when I had played for hours and tried changing stations real fast while I had 5 stars worth of cops chasing me. Thats the only time though. Do you have a Thompson, Philips, or Samsung DVD Drive?

BenWells
11-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
IVe had VC freeze on me one time when I had played for hours and tried changing stations real fast while I had 5 stars worth of cops chasing me. Thats the only time though. Do you have a Thompson, Philips, or Samsung DVD Drive?

I have no idea .. . I bought the xbox like the first month it was out.

T-FiNGeR
11-18-2003, 07:31 PM
They say that the "thomson" DVD drives are having problems with the GTA: Double Pack, but I think thats a bunch of Sh*t! It could be that your cd is stratched severly at a certain point where it loads the game, it has happened to me with a rental game. Check ur CD, if nothing is stracthed then just keep playin BUT if it keeps freezing get a new copy! You paid for it, you DESERVE a working game!

BenWells
11-18-2003, 07:54 PM
how can i tell what cd rom i have ?

Yankeez
11-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by T-FiNGeR
They say that the "thomson" DVD drives are having problems with the GTA: Double Pack, but I think thats a bunch of Sh*t! It could be that your cd is stratched severly at a certain point where it loads the game, it has happened to me with a rental game. Check ur CD, if nothing is stracthed then just keep playin BUT if it keeps freezing get a new copy! You paid for it, you DESERVE a working game!

its probably not a bunch of sh*t cuz alot of those thompson drives are crapping out so its really no suprise :mad:

monster1234
11-18-2003, 08:03 PM
this game's so old, that it's nothing to get excited about

mini_filo
11-18-2003, 08:05 PM
COOL I CANT WAIT TO PLAY GTA ON XBOX

WrathfulPoppa
11-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Hey mini, lets try reading the topic post from now on k?

Ford Mustang
11-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by BenWells

It depends on what time you got your XBox. If you got it withing the first 6 to 8 months, you'll have the Thompson. If you got it after it's either the Samsung or Phillips.

BananaMan
11-18-2003, 08:49 PM
never really had it freeze up with me until i put custom sound tracks on and then it started, so i took them off and it works fine:)

BenWells
11-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by BananaMan
never really had it freeze up with me until i put custom sound tracks on and then it started, so i took them off and it works fine:)

take them off as change the radio station or as in taking them off the hard drive ?

BenWells
11-18-2003, 09:17 PM
i gues if have the Thompson than . . . whats going on with those may i ask ? Someone said they were crapping out . . . how much money does it cost to get replaced if the drive ****s up ?

Se7en
11-18-2003, 09:21 PM
I have the Thompson (sp?) too. Got my Xbox @ launch, and I have had some pretty bad problems w/ GTA: DP and Morrowind GOTY. I'm going to try and get a new Xbox, as I've heard most peeps have had very few problems with locking up on those.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate thing- Ever since games on CDs became the norm, launch consoles have never quite been up-to-snuff. Good luck duder, I hope you get things settled.

Ugunnalose
11-18-2003, 10:43 PM
mine doesnt freeZe up on either discs w/wo custom soundtracks

Sharky53
11-18-2003, 10:51 PM
i headr there was a bug with changing the radio/music volume..... i dont know for sure though

Voodoo_Vince
11-19-2003, 12:03 AM
I have had two freezes , nothing that bad, and once I lost all the music nothing would play I have played 3-7 hours a day though , and I think I have a thompson drive, I had a few freezes on Morrowind , But GTA froze on PS2 and the PC , and Morrwind froze on PC and Xbox , its just the game,

LiquidX
11-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by BenWells

If you open it up and the hole is U shaped you have a Thompson. If its shaped like a lightbulb, like mine, you have a Philips. If there is one big hole in the middle and two small ones towards the front you have a Samsung. Im pretty sure thats it but someone correct me if im wrong!

BenWells
11-19-2003, 11:03 AM
So basically what you all are saying is that my XBOX sucks ass and it was a waste of money to buy it ?

And someone said something about the problem being teh game ? Should i exchange it for another copy ?

thrAsher
11-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Ford_Mustang

It depends on what time you got your XBox. If you got it withing the first 6 to 8 months, you'll have the Thompson. If you got it after it's either the Samsung or Phillips. I thought the same thing until I actually checked mine out. I got my box when the JSRF/Sega GT bundle came out, and lo and behold, it's got a Thompson. Only probs I've had w/ it were w/ Morrowind :cuss: and one time Halo actually threw me a DDE.

ARONO129
11-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by LiquidX

If you open it up and the hole is U shaped you have a Thompson. If its shaped like a lightbulb, like mine, you have a Philips. If there is one big hole in the middle and two small ones towards the front you have a Samsung. Im pretty sure thats it but someone correct me if im wrong!

I bought the Sega\Jet Set bundle and my Xbox drive has the U shape. I haven't had a problem. I clean the lens using a wet system (Discwasher) and all is good.

The info listed above about the shape of the disc tray sounds right. I saw the same info on another Xbox site.

Does anyone here have a thompson drive like me and not have any problems?

MerimacHamwich
11-19-2003, 11:55 AM
I have a Thompson. No problems here at all. Unless you count the times there was actually a dirty disk in the DVD drive...

I have a question for all of you fans of GTA. Why is it suddenly considered amazing to have individual fingers on character models? I mean, besides crappy PS2 ports, what game doesn't haven't individual fingers (obviously, that is supposed to have them)?

ARONO129
11-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
I have a Thompson. No problems here at all. Unless you count the times there was actually a dirty disk in the DVD drive...

I have a question for all of you fans of GTA. Why is it suddenly considered amazing to have individual fingers on character models? I mean, besides crappy PS2 ports, what game doesn't haven't individual fingers (obviously, that is supposed to have them)?

I think people are amazed by individual fingers because they are used to developers porting over games to the Xbox with no effort in taking advantage of Xbox hardware. If EA made GTA we would be lucky if the characters in the Xbox version had hair.

T-FiNGeR
11-19-2003, 02:38 PM
What the hell are u talking about?!... If EA made GTA games the people wouldn't even have frikin eyes, ears, mouth, nose, etc.. It would just be some square running around tryin to steal other squares and driving off with them.. lol, anyways! I think that the WHOLE thing about "thomson" drive is a bunch of CRAP, ppl say they are startin to get problems with their "thomson" drives, MAYBE it's because they were the first drives in the very first models of xbox! Drives dont last forever, and if a few of the drives crap out on ppl it's because the drive r old not that they just "suck", I hate when ppl make up crap about somtin that is not going right. In my opinion, "thomson" drives r fine, it's just that it's been over 2 years now and ppl play on their XBOX alot, all drives die out soon or alater.. I have a "thomson" drive and it has NEVER had problems xcept when i REALLY did have a DD in the tray. Watch, in about 6 months from now ppl are gonna start sayin that "thomson" AND "phillips" drives suk cuz some of the "phillips" will start to die out! As for GTA vice city freezing, it's just a bug in the soundtrack features.. It is in the PS2 version aswell as the PC version too!

Peepers
11-19-2003, 08:43 PM
I have a thompson drive, so I guess that means that GTA3 has been downgraded to rental status for me.

Off topic: One of the things I find most annyong about ports is a refusal to update the save-game interface to a more hard-drive oriented approach. Is this reflected in the GTA3 bundle?

ARONO129
11-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Peepers
I have a thompson drive, so I guess that means that GTA3 has been downgraded to rental status for me.

Off topic: One of the things I find most annyong about ports is a refusal to update the save-game interface to a more hard-drive oriented approach. Is this reflected in the GTA3 bundle?

I'm pretty sure I have a Thompson drive (by the shape of the DVD door) and in over 20 hours playing GTA I have had no problems. Some people say that they had problems after ripping songs, well I ripped my own songs and still no problems whatsoever.