PDA

View Full Version : The old switch-a-ru

bigcheat
11-19-2003, 12:38 AM
ive read a feel threads recently where people have mentioned buying a new xbox and taking the old one back to get a refund.........now i dont even own a xbox so im not asking because i actually want to, im just curious if anyone has actually did this? Like i said ive heard people say to do it but ive never heard of anyone that has done it..............I thought they scanned some kinda serial number when you buy the xbox and if you would try to return the old one in place of the new it would show up as a different serial number?

Xebec
11-19-2003, 10:40 AM
It depends on the retailer. They should be checking the serial numbers. Some do, some do not. I would advise against it. No matter if you get away with it or not, it is illegal. I recommend getting the extended warranty that most places offer. I purchased mine from EBGames with extended warranty last December and I just had to return it last night because it kept locking up. They switched mine out with a new unit. They did scan the serial numbers when they did the switch.

PS: They only switched the actual Xbox. They opened a new box, took out the Xbox and switched it for mine. I hear some reports that people are getting a entire new system with controller and new games.

Peepers
11-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Since I'm now on my third Xbox, I've considered this option a couple times. However, each time, I've decided that it was too risky.

xbox genius
11-19-2003, 09:50 PM
haha thats cool, but not too good if you get caught... no more gaming if you do get caught.... but i'm sure somebody among millions of xbox owners had done it before.

Reclaimer
11-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Oh, the old defrauding a merchant trick. Don't do it, and don't talk about it.