PDA

View Full Version : XBOX-DVD with 5.1 SURROUND and a Wega.

TRIGGAH
12-29-2001, 02:06 AM
I don't see Lynxfx around but if anyone can help me out, I would much appreciate it.
Ok so I have the XBOX and I just purchased a 27" Sony Wega and a Sony 5.1 DVD with Surround Sound. Ok so I went out and purchased the HD Adapter for the XBOX, I also purchased an optical cable (pretty expensive stuff might I add).
So I get home today and first of all it took me 3 daamn hours to assemble the Sony tv stand. Anyways, so here I am ready to hook up my system when I realize something. The only cables that I have are the ones for the XBOX. So I hooked up the XBOX to the tv without the optical to the dvd/receiver, WOW the picture was beautiful.
But I mean is that all? the only cable I got with my Sony/DVD receiver is a yellow one. There is nothing else. I guess I have to go purchase more cables right? Well my first question is which cable should I purchase to hook up my DVD/Receiver to my tv, and from what I see on my dvd/receiver there is only a line out for Svideo, and my tv only has 1 input with component cables the other one is for Svideo and just a normal hookup. I guess logically I have to go out and purchase an S Video cable to hook up my dvd/receiver to my tv? Right or Wrong???
Do you guys play your television through its own speakers or do you connect it to the receiver for Dolby surround?

Please help me out as I am eagerly anticipating the moment I could enjoy my new toys.

Thanks to all who reply,

And PEACE OUT

LynxFX
12-29-2001, 02:24 AM
Nice purchase Triggah,

Since you got the HD pack and the optical cable you shouldn't need any more cables. The HD pack should have come with the component cables. Hook those up to your Wega, red, green, blue. Hook up the optical cable to your receiver and to the HD pack. You do not need to hook any video cables from the receiver to your tv. At least not for using it with the xbox. The receiver will just handle the sound for this application.

That should do it.

Now if you want to run your tv through your receiver for normal tv viewing then you will need to connect the tv to the receiver via the audio out on the tv to another audio input on your receiver. The manual on your receiver should diagram this out for you and if you will need any more cables. Should just be two composite cables, red white from the tv to the receiver. I'm not familiar with what the wegas have for connections.

TRIGGAH
12-29-2001, 02:36 AM
LYNXFX You are one SAFE guy, here I was posting my thread thinking I might not get a reply until sometime tommorrow and here you come replying within 5 minutes??????
Yeah I got everything working fine, well I haven't tested the optical cables cuz everything in my room is a mess right now.

My other question was, what kind of cable should I purchase to run my DVD/RECEIVER to my Wega. My DVD/RECEIVER has an output with a S video and so does my tv. Because the only cables included was one yellow cable. Is that enough to run my DVD to my tv? Or should I purchase a separate one with S Video for better image.

Thanks.

LynxFX
12-29-2001, 02:40 AM
No problem Triggah. Just got done watching a movie so thought I would browse the boards. :)

I would go with the s-video cable. They aren't much and you will get fairly better color saturation and a sharper picture. Why just eat the crust when you can have the pie too? You can use that extra yellow composite cable to tie together the rest of your cables and get that place tidy. At least then you get some use out of it. :D

TRIGGAH
12-29-2001, 02:47 AM
Thanx Bro,

So Im gonna go out and purchase an S Video cable tommorrow, Ill probably buy a DVD to test my DVD with Surround out. Anyways man thanks for the help, Ill let you know the final results. I guess I should go to bed now.

AAIGHT PEACE.

Frostberg
12-29-2001, 02:53 PM
Lol it took me almost 5 hours to assemble my Wega stand...at least all I needed was time, the instruction booklet, parts, and a screwdriver! The cables I have came from this monster cable kit (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11087264&m=1&cat=783&scat=803) and are a pretty good deal considering it comes with everything you need and you dont have to do anything but plug in the cables. I know you already had some stuff, but this is great for anyone else who is just starting. Congrats on your purchases, you will really love DVDs and Xbox games with your setup!