PDA

View Full Version : Identity crisis for the Xbox?

Underdog
07-03-2001, 11:49 PM
As you can see it's a copy & paste job from the front page. So sue me! :)

One of the writers for <A HREF="http://consolewire.com/" target="_blank">consolewire.com</A> has gotten the idea that the Xbox might have an identity crisis. That claim was made due to the fact Microsoft has no well known franchises, like it's competitor Nintendo who has Mario, Zelda and Metroid. I know what you're thinking what about Halo and Munch they are both well known names in the gaming industry. Well, that very thing was mentioned in this article you are about to read. So <A HREF="http://consolewire.com/articles/item.asp?sid=250" target="_blank">click away</A> and you decide if the Xbox will or will not have an identity crisis.<p>

So what do you guys think?

[Edited by Chris on 07-03-2001 at 09:53 PM]

EIGamerzX
07-04-2001, 10:23 AM
I aint worried i'm sure microsoft has a few characters up their sleeves and halo, munch, azurik and whatever other characters become recognizable with xbox will be it's trademark, of course it doesn't have any destinct characters .......it's not even out yet

CodeScribe
07-04-2001, 01:07 PM
I don't see that it matters. Mascots and logos don't make or break a product.

Lioness
07-04-2001, 01:39 PM
...You're a moron if you think a product needs a mascot to be sucessful.Believe it or not,Americans aren't that stupid.:p

Spades
07-04-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Lioness
...You're a moron if you think a product needs a mascot to be sucessful.Believe it or not,Americans aren't that stupid.:p

or are we?

CodeScribe
07-04-2001, 05:33 PM
Nintendo has Mario. Sega has Sonic. But Sony has never had one definitive mascot anmd has done very well. I just don't see that mascots have much impact anymore. Except for crazed fanboys to latch onto.

Spades
07-04-2001, 06:11 PM
my point exactly CodeScribe. when psx came out it had nothin but the sony name to back it up. now x-box comes along and all it has is all of microsofts games and name to back it up. i still dont think psx has a mascott. all they are are characters for little kids to buy most of the time. like pokemon or mario. you really dont need a mascot

EIGamerzX
07-04-2001, 08:28 PM
correction, XBox playstation and even sega doesn't need a mascot but think about where nintendo would be without it's mascots,............... nowhere!

CodeScribe
07-04-2001, 09:15 PM
LOL Would you care to elaborate on that stunning argument? :D

EIGamerzX
07-05-2001, 01:04 PM
no

j/k I'm just saying that without Mario' and his gang, donkey kong,zelda and a couple more nintendo would not have sold N64 as much as it did, I for one probably wouldn't have gotten it (and now i wish i hadn't), and think at how many games those characters have sold, 3 mario party's, I'm not sure how many mario adventures, super mario RPG, Donkey kong has a couple of games, even crappy little games like mario is missing.two zelda games for n64 and tons more for other platforms (nintendo platforms)nintendo lives off of it's characters.
And to refrase my point nintendo would be somewhere but they would not be as popular as they are now they could have went the way of 3DO or sega.

CodeScribe
07-05-2001, 01:22 PM
Ah, ok now I see your point. You're probably right. Just about everybody who bought the N64 bought it because of what they saw of Mario64. But I don't think it was because it was Mario, but because it was 3D and looked so different and was new.

On the subject of mulltiple sequals, I say, if there's a market why not. Obviously, there are a lot of people who want another Zelda (like me, even though I won't own a GC I'll rent one to play Zelda). I haven't seen anyone complain of Square's never-ending supply of FF titles (many of which also suck).

I doubt Nintendo will be going belly up anytime soon. They have decades of experiance and and a huge fanbase. As long as they keep pumping out games with huge appeal (usually to younger gamers), they'll be sticking around. To prove my point I found it funny that on several occasions this week I've heard the phrase "Nintendo generation". Video games and Nintendo are synonymous.

seth78
07-05-2001, 02:36 PM
I bought my N64 a month before it came out, got it two days before it was released to the public. I bought it because of what I saw about it in every single game magazine out there, many labeled Mario 64 as "eye candy". Well yes it was awesome, I also bought WaveRace 64. Only three games were available at launch and I was so happy I had it. Every time a new N64 game came out I rushed out and rented it, some I did buy. Almost game after game was a total dissapointment to me. A DK64 here, a zelda there and total rat poop everywhere. Nintendo prez Howard Lincoln labeled it as "The Fun Machine", well if you didn't mind waiting 5 months for a decent game to come out that wasn't too kiddy then sure it had some fun games. Well my idea of playing a small crop of games in a year is not fun. Waiting and waiting for something decent to come out isn't fun. Nintendo, I got burned from you on the N64 and this time around I'm just gonna get my XBOX, Halo and DOA3 and in a year, if zelda, star fox and metroid are out, *laughing because I know they won't be*, then I might put down 200 for the system. Until then I'll be playing Halo, well in November that is.