PDA

View Full Version : Can you get Surround (not necessarily Digital) without optical cables???

Ground_Pounder
12-29-2001, 03:00 AM
Hey all,

I've spent ALL my money on games right now, and I was wondering if I could get surround (Pro Logic, or Dolby Surround perhaps) using just the normal R/L rca connections. It SOUNDS like I get surround when I enable it on my reciever, but I'm not 100% sure if it's true surround (like a car following you, only being able to hear from the rear speaker)... Any input would be great. I don't have a high def pack yet, I may just get the advanced though because I'd need a component splitter (big bux I hear) to get the high def cables.

Can I get anysort of Surround out of my normal cables ?? I saw the option in the sound menu of Dolby Surround...

Quest
12-29-2001, 12:42 PM
Yes u will get dolby prologic with just the regular a/v pack...5.1 or dolby digital is only possible with the optical cable.

Ground_Pounder
12-29-2001, 03:41 PM
Ok... that's what I though, but I wasn't sure. It's good to know!

I just spent my money on more games rather then better cables (optical is expensive stuff) plus I don't think my receiver can take anymore then 1 optical input, wich my dvd player is using up... oh well, it's great playing max payne, it really helps to know where the dudes are !

Frostberg
12-29-2001, 04:24 PM
an optical cable doesnt have to be that expensive as long as it isint very long...like i say its a better investment to improve the quality of all of your games than say buying another game...If you like Max Payne with surround because you can tell where the people are, imagine 5 seperate channels to really tell where they are...instead of right or left you cn be able to tell where on the right or left...its a lot better than just right and left...as you can tell because of your dvd player is hooked up to optical...but this puzzles me, cant you just use the same optical cable for your Xbox as you do for the dvd player? Then you dont have to buy anything else...

And for even more money sell your DVD player and buy the $30 dvd kit

Ground_Pounder
12-29-2001, 07:31 PM
I'd just switch the cables, TRUST ME... but it's my dad's setup and anything hooked up to it he doesn't want to have to switch anything, he wants to be able to just sit down, select wich channels (TV input and receiver chanel) and just watch, he doesn't want to have to deal with switching cables, ESP with the whole component video thing becuase he doesn't like the idea of moving our tv at all... cause my bro and sis would attempt it... not a good idea !

Frostberg
12-29-2001, 07:44 PM
Hmm so you cant just switch it when you play and when your done switch it back? Why would you need to move your TV every time? Just set up the XBox or the pack near the dvd player and whenever you need to use it unplug the optical cable from the dvd player and plug it in the pack. You wouldnt have to mess with anything else. But the best choice would to be out and buy an optical cable.

DBXNY
12-29-2001, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Ground_Pounder

I just spent my money on more games rather then better cables (optical is expensive stuff)

Optical is expensive if your only looking at Best Buy or Circuit City type stores of which most only stock expensive Monster brand cables. You should be able to get an optical cable from Sears for only about $12.

Also, what type of receiver do you have? I've never seen one with only 1 optical input. Most usually have only 1 coaxial input and several optical. Another option is for your dad to use a coaxial cable (even less expensive than optical) for the DVD player and then you use the optical input (if there is only one) for the x-box? Most (but a few) DVD players have both optical and coaxial digital outputs.

Frostberg
12-29-2001, 10:45 PM
exactly! they are like $12 at target and walmart if you buy a short 6' one, could be 3' tho but still they arent that expensive, at least not as expensive as I think you think they may be.