PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on CounterStrike!??

cybrdude
11-20-2003, 02:05 AM
OK.. Here are my thoughts..

Unfortunately it is the same "old" game with a new coat of paint and LIVE support. Controls are touchy (regarding of settings), Characters movements are jerky and odd (like Solider of Fortune), and just two game modes make the game "nothing new". Not much has changed since 1998??? I figured they would have added a few more modes (straight deathmatch), the ability to respawn (set by host) if desired, improve graphics (instead of just increasing polygons), and No Lag. Most games (75% or more - I tried both of my connections DSL and Cable) I joined tonight lagged at 8 to 10 heads.

Anyway, if you "STILL" love the old CounterStrike or have never played CounterStrike (and Hate Rainbow Six 3 for it's realistic pace), this game is for you..

BTW: I am not taking anything away from the game I just expected to get a redesigned version of an outdated (but good) game.. To be honest, I quite playing CS in 1999 because games continuously get better and better.

Late..

Kraft
11-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Hmm... you might have attempted to be a little more constructive and actually write a review about this game in our review system. By doing that you know your thoughts will reach people who are actually looking for CS info and opinoins.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/staff_reviews/view.php?Product_ID=650

Thats the official staff opinion by the way :)

cybrdude
11-20-2003, 02:11 AM
True.. Being lazy I guess.. I will do a review soon..

Late..

Originally posted by Nick-XBA
Hmm... you might have attempted to be a little more constructive and actually write a review about this game in our review system. By doing that you know your thoughts will reach people who are actually looking for CS info and opinoins.

BananaMan
11-20-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by cybrdude
OK.. Here are my thoughts..

Unfortunately it is the same "old" game with a new coat of paint and LIVE support. Controls are touchy (regarding of settings), Characters movements are jerky and odd (like Solider of Fortune), and just two game modes make the game "nothing new". Not much has changed since 1998??? I figured they would have added a few more modes (straight deathmatch), the ability to respawn (set by host) if desired, improve graphics (instead of just increasing polygons), and No Lag. Most games (75% or more - I tried both of my connections DSL and Cable) I joined tonight lagged at 8 to 10 heads.

Anyway, if you "STILL" love the old CounterStrike or have never played CounterStrike (and Hate Rainbow Six 3 for it's realistic pace), this game is for you..

BTW: I am not taking anything away from the game I just expected to get a redesigned version of an outdated (but good) game.. To be honest, I quite playing CS in 1999 because games continuously get better and better.

Late..

try joining servers that say Excellent or Good connections, your probably not even checking that. I've only joined one server that lagged. Try joining an XServer or something.

OC Noob
11-20-2003, 10:04 AM

Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean his comments aren't constructive. For us gamers with PCs its old hat and with the controller its a step back from CS on the PC. Its a great game and tons of fun if you are new to it, but if you played it for a year or two on PC then its going to be a disapointment. Thats another reason I wish they would have added SP, but whats done is done:(

Did you say that in your review? If not you should add a comment for Xbox owners who are also PC gamers.

Kraft
11-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by OC Noob

Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean his comments aren't constructive. For us gamers with PCs its old hat and with the controller its a step back from CS on the PC. Its a great game and tons of fun if you are new to it, but if you played it for a year or two on PC then its going to be a disapointment. Thats another reason I wish they would have added SP, but whats done is done:(

Did you say that in your review? If not you should add a comment for Xbox owners who are also PC gamers.

Note that I didn't say his comments weren't constructive, but rather the place he delivered them. If you want to let people know your feelings about a game, write a review. Most people will check the reviews for a game before they go scouring the forums for info and opinions

OC: I played this game for years on the PC. Other people at the fanstock even I went to have played waaay longer than I have. We all agreed on this: valve managed to breathe some new life into this game. While this might not be enough to break people away from their mouse and keyboard, IMO this is still one of the most teamwork oriented, fast paced and exciting shooters of the season. Sorry to hear you are burnt out on it, and Condition Zero is about out so if you are jonesing for single player, buy that.

Duke
11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Kraft just curious. I've seen a lot of comparison to UC and the ilk. Any opinions?

Voodoo_Vince
11-20-2003, 12:48 PM

Note that I didn't say his comments weren't constructive, but rather the place he delivered them. If you want to let people know your feelings about a game, write a review. Most people will check the reviews for a game before they go scouring the forums for info and opinions

I never even look at the reviews personally, they are really lame for the most part , "It's the Shiz Nit you, Da BOMB best Game eva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!. Fo sho!!!!!" I think that represents 90% of them , or they are biased reviews like Splinter Cell sucked because you couldn't just run and Gun , ect.. ect... I really Don't mind reading one in here, I know your trying to stop Multiple threads and make your Job easier ,

Uchiha Sasuke
11-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Hey Nick buddy from your review it says the game does not have custom soundtracks? I heard from others it does. Whats up with this man. Anyways on another note damn good review, definately picking up the game regardless. I love CS.

Kraft
11-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Duke, this is NOT UC! It doesn't have the framerate issues, sniping is actually something possible to do and CS actually lives up to the fun you'd have playing it's PC counterpart.

Substance, I could have sworn that there was new custom soundtrack option... at least I didn't find one. Of course since I rarely have music playing during games like this I may have missed it.

BananaMan
11-20-2003, 02:39 PM
yeah it says that there is custom soundtracks, but i've still yet to find how to work them.:huh:

Kraft
11-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Woohoo! Found it! Just to go options then sound options and you can scroll through custom soundtracks. Unfortunately I reviewed this off of final gold beta code, so I didn't have an instruction manual to walk me through that one. Time to edit my review.

Uchiha Sasuke
11-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Woohoo! Found it! Just to go options then sound options and you can scroll through custom soundtracks. Unfortunately I reviewed this off of final gold beta code, so I didn't have an instruction manual to walk me through that one. Time to edit my review.

Woohoo, very good. Now its a definate must buy for me. MUST GET COUNTER STRIKE AND PWN ALL THE NOOBS.

BananaMan
11-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Substance Snake

MUST GET COUNTER STRIKE AND PWN ALL THE NOOBS.

:huh: you don't have it yet hence yer a "n00b"

Clever
11-20-2003, 05:37 PM
ok all these ads on IGN, Gamespot and now here on Xboxaddict is gonna make me get it this weekend....

but then again that 7.2 from gamespot makes me worry.

Yankeez
11-20-2003, 05:46 PM
never listen to gamespot for any reviews i thought xba members would know that already

:rolleyes:

cybrdude
11-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks, but I tried that.. I only join servers with a good rating..

Late..

Originally posted by BananaMan

try joining servers that say Excellent or Good connections, your probably not even checking that. I've only joined one server that lagged. Try joining an XServer or something.

BananaMan
11-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks, but I tried that.. I only join servers with a good rating..

Late..

well i also noticed if you have a crappy connection(my friend) you will get tons of lag, so you might want to check your up and down speeds if there low then theres your problem i have charter and i get 0 lag on 16 player servers i've only joined one server that had lag it was rated poor but i joined anyway.

cybrdude
11-21-2003, 01:04 AM
I checked my connections even though they are always stable. Connections are good..

DSL connection: 1.5 down 288 upload (less than 70 users on my CO)

Cable Connection: 1.6 down 128 upload (new to neighbor, very few users)

My point was that games at 8 and 10 players seem to become unstable on average connections. Other games fair much better.. Was not trying to say all games lagged, but I noticed more lag in CounterStrike.. Reminded me of UC..

Late..

Originally posted by BananaMan

well i also noticed if you have a crappy connection(my friend) you will get tons of lag, so you might want to check your up and down speeds if there low then theres your problem i have charter and i get 0 lag on 16 player servers i've only joined one server that had lag it was rated poor but i joined anyway.

OC Noob
11-21-2003, 01:30 AM

OC: I played this game for years on the PC. Other people at the fanstock even I went to have played waaay longer than I have. We all agreed on this: valve managed to breathe some new life into this game. While this might not be enough to break people away from their mouse and keyboard, IMO this is still one of the most teamwork oriented, fast paced and exciting shooters of the season. Sorry to hear you are burnt out on it, and Condition Zero is about out so if you are jonesing for single player, buy that.

I'm surprized that they liked it. Mos t of the PC forums I visit would burn you at the stake for even thinking of playing CS with a game pad, let alone on a console;)

I moved on to BF1942, but was hoping for the SP on Xbox because the updated gfx and playing the SP with a controller would have added a new element to make the SP more of a challange and more interesting. Heck, maybe even be the first game to make me want to get Live.

CZ on the PC will be cool, but the gfx won't be as good and it probably won't be much of a challange with a mouse/keyboard. Maybe I'll get the Xbox controller usb adapter:D You know, they often take a good SP game and add multiplayer. I think going from a great MP game to SP action could be very interesting depending on what they do with it. I thought it was suposed to be out on PC in the last few days here, but Valve has been really wierd with their releases recently.

ps you really are giving up the PC version for it?

l Maximus l
11-21-2003, 02:18 AM
I'm with Nick on this one...feel free to create a member review...that's one of the things that makes XBoxaddict so sweet! It has member reviews.

I don't have Counter Strike yet, but, how are the XBox exclusive maps?

Kraft
11-21-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by OC Noob

I thought it was suposed to be out on PC in the last few days here, but Valve has been really wierd with their releases recently.

The reason VALVe has been so weird regarding CZ is the fact that nobody can finish making the game. VALVe tried and gave up on it, passed it off to Ritual who also gave up on it... who finally passed it off to Turtle Rock... who might actually finish it. We'll have to see if it is any good though.

prakeem
11-21-2003, 05:11 AM
I can't complain about this game, it has all PC elements plus some. Great shooter and most impressive controls. Graphics is it's most visible weak spots, but that shouldn't shy away vivid fps gamers. Live is another story, where one wouldn't fuss much about the graphics.

I have yet to play any of the exclusive maps; I've been practising on the "pioneer" maps. Though they have been redone quite well and don't look too bad.

I was most dissapointed that the single player campaign was not included in this final version, but single player "bot" multiplayer isn't too bad. But thats just me.........I would like this game if it was running on 16 bit code :D

I'll write a review when I get some more gameplay in and discuss enough to put some questions and worries to rest, hopefully!

And regarding CZ, it is completed and ready to be released, although it has be delayed until at least Dec 12th (I believe) :confused:

BananaMan
11-21-2003, 06:35 AM
I checked my connections even though they are always stable. Connections are good..

DSL connection: 1.5 down 288 upload (less than 70 users on my CO)

Cable Connection: 1.6 down 128 upload (new to neighbor, very few users)

My point was that games at 8 and 10 players seem to become unstable on average connections. Other games fair much better.. Was not trying to say all games lagged, but I noticed more lag in CounterStrike.. Reminded me of UC..

Late..

yeah that's a pretty good connection so i don't know what the prob is.