PDA

View Full Version : Figured out how to solve game error on first gen xbox!

Spellfire
11-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Yep, I got a first gen xbox and I had all the problems with it reading disks and whatnoght. One day it would play a game, the next it wouldn't, leaving it paused would cause the game to freeze, ect...

Well, I did not take notice to it until after the warrenty went out and it took all of two years now for me to do anything about it. I usually just shrugged off it when it would mess up, and I can't count how many game experiences it ruined by messing up and having to repeat levels, but it is finally over!

I got my lazy butt up, trading the cursed thing in and bought a new one! Works like a charm! I got 100 for my xbox at eb, plus I traded it in with an off-brand controller that sucked (so now I have a new good one), traded in a gbc, and split the rest of the cost with my brother, so it only cost me like 30 bucks.

...well, thats all the rambling I wanted to put...just shareing my glee that my xbox now works!

so the secret is....buy a new one! (since I found out the repair cost is 100 dollars)

OC Noob
11-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Since the first gen boxes were faulty wouldn't MS fix it or give you a new one free.

Even though the warrenty is out, its a known problem and sometimes companies will take care of that kind of stuff.

Anyone know if that is the case or not?

Spellfire
11-20-2003, 09:07 AM
not as far as I know they wouldn't :cuss:

OC Noob
11-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Man, that stinks.

malastik
11-20-2003, 09:50 AM
Sorry to tell you about this now, but.... I had the first gen xbox and I was in the sam spot you were. Getting frustrated but never wanted to do anything about the freezing.

So, I called up the tech support and since I never retgistered my xbox when it was released. The tech registered it over the phone and then setup a replacment for my xbox DVD drive.

They sent me a box to put the xbox in with a return label for postage. I sent it in and in 3 days I had my xbox back and haven't had a single freeze since. Plus they cleaned my case, every inch of it!!! :)

Anyway, just another side to this story not all hope is lost.

Duke
11-20-2003, 11:10 AM
molastik is right. I know they were doing this, though I doubt they are now, but it's worth a shot.

Caesar SYN
11-20-2003, 11:59 AM
If you had some kinda documentation you could push the issue with MS... and pressure them for a new drive probably w/ no problem.. but it has been a long time.. and without any kinda receipt or something showing you bought and never got "the repair" you should have

LUNCH FINISH THIS LATER...

Voodoo_Vince
11-20-2003, 12:52 PM
I had a friend who had the same problem freezing , ect. he just got a 19.99 Discwasher wet/dry DVD lens cleaner , No more problems

Wolfboy_888
11-20-2003, 03:23 PM
or you could of just done the walmart trick..

CC-CRC
11-20-2003, 06:51 PM
When this happened they told me to delete everything off my Hard Drive... i lost mad creasted teams in Fever and all of my halo. But then when that didn't work i sent it in and got it back in a week and now it has never happened. the guy told me they changed the Dvd drive but he sayed he wasen't allowed to go into specifics........ this was about a year ago

Shadow20002
11-20-2003, 07:04 PM
The case i found is even you delete everything in your Xbox will not resolve the freezing problems or DDEs. I have a first gen console Xbox, only have some few flaws about it since i bought it.

Peepers
11-20-2003, 07:50 PM
How disappointing! Based on the title, I assumed you found a way to quickly and easily repair the first gen's. But now I see that the only solution is the one that has been banging me in the head for a long time. Oh well. I've had my hopes raised only to be crushed before...lol

theslayer45
11-20-2003, 08:41 PM
I would have just taken it back to wal-mart and said you got it as a present and didnt have the receipt and said it was defected, I bought Halo PC at best buy and it wouldnt install, so went back and got a new one and same problem, went back, and it installed, but it gave me a error about some disc problem, so i was tried of running out to best buy and went to the closer wal mart and took one of their halo pc and now everythings fine:cheers:

DocHoliday78
11-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by OC Noob
Since the first gen boxes were faulty wouldn't MS fix it or give you a new one free.

Even though the warrenty is out, its a known problem and sometimes companies will take care of that kind of stuff.

Anyone know if that is the case or not?

Yup did it for me. They paid for air shipping there and back also.

OC Noob
11-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78

Yup did it for me. They paid for air shipping there and back also.

Thats cool that they did that.

Anyways, to the original poster, think of it this way, you only paid $30 and didn't have to wait for it to ship there, get repaired and ship back. Thats worth a few bucks right there.

l Maximus l
11-21-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Wolfboy_888
or you could of just done the walmart trick..

Yeah...no joke. I did that when my XBox fried! :D

Heavens Gate
11-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Spellfire
Yep, I got a first gen xbox and I had all the problems with it reading disks and whatnoght. One day it would play a game, the next it wouldn't, leaving it paused would cause the game to freeze, ect...

Well, I did not take notice to it until after the warrenty went out and it took all of two years now for me to do anything about it. I usually just shrugged off it when it would mess up, and I can't count how many game experiences it ruined by messing up and having to repeat levels, but it is finally over!

I got my lazy butt up, trading the cursed thing in and bought a new one! Works like a charm! I got 100 for my xbox at eb, plus I traded it in with an off-brand controller that sucked (so now I have a new good one), traded in a gbc, and split the rest of the cost with my brother, so it only cost me like 30 bucks.

...well, thats all the rambling I wanted to put...just shareing my glee that my xbox now works!

so the secret is....buy a new one! (since I found out the repair cost is 100 dollars)

I don't care what anybody says. The first gen Xboxes were NOT faulty. I have had mine since launch and no problems. I have taken good care of mine. Alot of people think the old DVD drive was faulty but in all honesty, they changed them to cheaper ones to save money. I think the older drives were and are better. The drives are higher quality.

Nyphur
11-21-2003, 10:12 AM
The original boxes weren;'t faulty, just had ****e drives in them.

Originally they had Thomson drives in, which are the ones causing the problems.
then they moved onto a few with philips drives, and have been on samsung for a while now.

Thats where the "fault" is ;)

CharlieHustle
11-21-2003, 12:30 PM
I dont know what yall are talkin about. I bought mine on the first week. and i have absolutely no problems with my xbox. I probably had a total of 5 DDE's and three games froze on me total. I play moderately, but mine work as if it is new.

Voodoo_Vince
11-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Heavens Gate

I don't care what anybody says. The first gen Xboxes were NOT faulty. I have had mine since launch and no problems. I have taken good care of mine. Alot of people think the old DVD drive was faulty but in all honesty, they changed them to cheaper ones to save money. I think the older drives were and are better. The drives are higher quality.

I agree, I only get DDE's on games that are supposed to Have DDE's Likr GTA or Morrowind (both are really huge games or on Games with allot of scratches, My copy of Halo , I let someone borrow it and it turned out he was using it at his store to charge kids to play, and well I heard and saw for myself little 6 year old's would run around with it, Just the disc no case, so I got one DDE' on it and its scratched to Hell, I looked up my box and Im suppossed to have to the 1.0 drives (thompson) I got mine May 2002

But I remember Xbox faulty rate was less than 1 percent at launch , also , I NEVER leave a disc in the tray , the manual tells you not to, I also Dust my tray and my Xbox on a regular basis , I also Don't have it confined in a small space ,

Highlite23
11-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Well just to level the playing field a bit...I have 3 v1 xbox's and outside of probably 3 to six DDE since lauch I have had no problems.

I do clean them all ona regular basis with a "Discwasher" brand lens cleaner (We/Dry)

Shorezy
11-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Here's my rant:

I got my Xbox the Boxing Day (Day after christmas) on the year it came out (2001) hence making it about 2 years old. For the past YEAR I would get DD's and Frozen games.

Now I'm not gunna sit here and tell you how 'faulty' first gens are, but I AM gunna sit here and tell you how SICK I am of this POS Thomson frying on me EVERY SINGLE DAY.

THat's right folks, i said EVERY SINGLE DAY. I play RS3 and a couple other games almost EVERY DAY. The amount of hours I have on this beast would live up to most...trust me. EVERY GAME NOW, I get problems. THE DAY I BOUGHT RAINBOW IT DDed!!! Now i have to restart my box almost EVERY TIME a server switches maps or if a cinematic won't load or even if the damn thing can't load the starting cinematic!

I'm quite sick of it as you can imagine. And yes i've thought of all this, but the time has come. I HAVE asked for all the free mumbo jumbo but NOTHING. I HAVE asked for repairs but it would cost me $150 I REPEAT $150 (canadian) to get the damn thing shipped to a place 2 hours away. I might as well buy a new one, and I think that's my only hope. But no, i don't think i'm gunna trade it in, I think i'll just spend the money (contuing to SUPPORT MS and XBOX of course) and then SMASH THE ***** out of my current machine...

In conlusion I hate it, i must drop the "F" bomb 150 times a DAY on this machine...

What do you think?:eek:

# 1 Stunner
11-22-2003, 11:50 AM
im think about gettin a new one, mine is pretty bad...

ARONO129
11-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Shorezy
Here's my rant:

I got my Xbox the Boxing Day (Day after christmas) on the year it came out (2001) hence making it about 2 years old. For the past YEAR I would get DD's and Frozen games.

Now I'm not gunna sit here and tell you how 'faulty' first gens are, but I AM gunna sit here and tell you how SICK I am of this POS Thomson frying on me EVERY SINGLE DAY.

THat's right folks, i said EVERY SINGLE DAY. I play RS3 and a couple other games almost EVERY DAY. The amount of hours I have on this beast would live up to most...trust me. EVERY GAME NOW, I get problems. THE DAY I BOUGHT RAINBOW IT DDed!!! Now i have to restart my box almost EVERY TIME a server switches maps or if a cinematic won't load or even if the damn thing can't load the starting cinematic!

I'm quite sick of it as you can imagine. And yes i've thought of all this, but the time has come. I HAVE asked for all the free mumbo jumbo but NOTHING. I HAVE asked for repairs but it would cost me $150 I REPEAT $150 (canadian) to get the damn thing shipped to a place 2 hours away. I might as well buy a new one, and I think that's my only hope. But no, i don't think i'm gunna trade it in, I think i'll just spend the money (contuing to SUPPORT MS and XBOX of course) and then SMASH THE ***** out of my current machine...

In conlusion I hate it, i must drop the "F" bomb 150 times a DAY on this machine...

What do you think?:eek:

You will probably do this anyway but I thought I would mention it. IMO buy your next Xbox from a place that offers a "in store" warranty like Future Shop, Best Buy, EB Games?. As we (Canadians) all know that MS doesn't offer the extended warranty to us which is wrong. I would gladly pay $50 USD for the MS warranty.

I bought my Xbox from Compucentre with a 2 year warranty. The bad news is if something goes wrong I have to mail my Xbox to Ottawa but I would argue with the store first if anything were to go wrong with my Xbox.

xbox genius
11-22-2003, 02:43 PM
i have first gen xbox, and i only had a couple of freezes and some disc errors, but when i do have disc errors, i just take out the disc, and inspect the disc to see if there were any scratches than just put disc back in and bam it works fine.

well that is just my case. but i dont think i wanna trade in my xbox, i like it. thanks for tip anyways

bbchs_trash
11-23-2003, 03:32 AM
I bought my original Xbox on launch day. And there were definately faulty Xboxs that came out the door on the original shipment. There is no doubt at all about this. Microsoft even mad a press release of sorts I believe stating that 1% of the original shipment did have defaults. 1% of 1 Million Units is still 1,000 faulty Xboxs I believe... or something like that. I don't know it's late... it's math... I suck at life...

But anyways, after sending my Xbox in multiple times and still ended up encountering dirty disc problems... I called up support. They kindly informed me that my warranty had run out. I kindly informed him that I had sent my Xbox in numerous times and the damn thing was still broke. Needless to say... after some harsh words and 30 minutes of yelling... I was hung up on.

I called back and got another guy. He worked a deal out with the head of the repair department so that I could get it fixed for $50... I told him thanks, but I'd call back on it.

I traded my original in at EB... described the situation about the warranty running out(*not the broken part)... and then bought a new Xbox. It cost something around $80 with a 2-year in store warranty...

All in all... I haven't encountered any problems with this Xbox... and don't see any coming in the future.