PDA

View Full Version : Rumormill: Xbox2 to be Unveiled at GDC 2004

Shadow20002
11-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Microsoft is secretly planning to make the first demonstration of next-generation Xbox hardware at next year's GDC, according to industry sources operating at the highest levels. The Game Developers Conference takes place in California from March 22-26 of next year, and if the unveiling goes ahead, it will replicate almost exactly the way Microsoft revealed Xbox itself at the show in 2000.
With Sony looking increasingly likely to start making waves with PS3 at E3 next May, it's believed Microsoft, having repeatedly asserted it will be first to the market in the next generation, wants to set its stall out early and, most crucially, first.

One senior source, operating under strict conditions of anonymity, told us: "The plan is to talk specs and show early tech demos [of Xbox 2] at a US event next Easter. This will provide a platform leading towards something more substantial at E3." The proposed showing at GDC is expecting to match that of the 2000 event, and will be behind closed doors on an invitation only basis at Microsoft's stand.

In terms of timing, this makes perfect sense: the current widespread belief amongst industry watchers is that PS3 is likely to release in Japan around Christmas 2005, with the sequel to Xbox coming in preceding months, with September/October the current whisper. With this in mind, Microsoft will need to be able to go to investors and related parties with hard evidence soon.

Source@ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=98712)

Peepers
11-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Speaking of specs, Xbox 2 better beat the crap out of any of the alternative systems if its going to have a chance. We might never beat the PS2 (or 3) in quantity of games, but we darn well better beat it in quality.

T-FiNGeR
11-20-2003, 07:41 PM
I better start saving now! Xbox2 will probably be around $800, lol. I paid frikin $750 for my xbox and halo, christmas 2001!

BananaMan
11-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by T-FiNGeR
I better start saving now! Xbox2 will probably be around $800, lol. I paid frikin $750 for my xbox and halo, christmas 2001!

DANG where do you live? i paid $450 USD for this special at EB on the launch day i bought mine with halo PGR and NFL Fever 2002 and an extra controller it was a pretty good deal but 700 dollars gosh!:watchout:

MerimacHamwich
11-20-2003, 07:55 PM
Talk about it. Even in Canadian that is a rip. I got mine with Halo for around 500$ at launch, pre-ordered.