PDA

View Full Version : Movement Recognition Hardware Coming to Xbox?

Shadow20002
11-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Where else could one find a video game that may coax couch potato kids into shape and watches that monitor the state of the world?

While the technology showcase Comdex is billed this year as leaner and more business focused, it didn't stop thousands of tech enthusiasts from scrutinizing a range of new gadgets.

Many sedentary computer-types had a chance to work up a sweat at a booth featuring the "Action Stick."

This adjustable, tripod-looking stick contains 18 infrared sensors that replace the joystick in a video game. Instead of just the thumbs and palms getting a workout, kicks and punches control the action of the on-screen character.

The more the effort, the more entertaining the action, said Brian Pyon of the South Korean gaming company Bestsoft.

"We did a study that showed playing with this for a half hour was better than swimming or jogging," said Pyon.

Source@ (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/18/comdex.walton/index.html)

LiquidX
11-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Sweet...can anyone say... XBOX BREAK DANCING! So is this only for fighting games like Dead or alive?

Dyslexic Chaos
11-20-2003, 07:44 PM
this is retarded. The games industry already tried this on thje genesis and it failed miserable .You have to kick to move, and anything else. This might have worked back in the days of the 6 button controllers, but nowadays, things will be much too comllicated and you'd have to be too accurate tomplay well... boringggggggggggg.

T-FiNGeR
11-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Ya, back in the days of Genesis there wasn't such things as DVDs! Thats how long ago it was, and there are TONS of new technoligy! This can easily be 1 of the best add-ons for all virtual fighting games such as "dead or alive" or "mortal combat"! Try it out b4 u call it crap!

EvilPepper
11-20-2003, 09:16 PM
intresting.... could be fun... geuss it depends on price though

Peepers
11-20-2003, 09:43 PM
This kind of gaming concept will always be "a few years ahead of its time." But even if it did work, and was 100% reliable, wouldn't you prefer sitting on your ever fattening @$$?

gerbil
11-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
Sweet...can anyone say... XBOX BREAK DANCING! So is this only for fighting games like Dead or alive?

oh yah .. break dancing!! :D

LynxFX
11-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Jerred B
this is retarded. The games industry already tried this on thje genesis and it failed miserable .You have to kick to move, and anything else. This might have worked back in the days of the 6 button controllers, but nowadays, things will be much too comllicated and you'd have to be too accurate tomplay well... boringggggggggggg.
Yup the Sega Activator. I think I'm the only one that actually bought it, and I still have it even though I sold my Genesis a long time ago. It was a blast to play with back then but sadly had nearly no support.

Hopefully what they are talking about doesn't turn into the same lame item known as the Sony Eye Cam, or whatever that thing is called.

http://www.lynxfx.com/xba/activator.jpg
http://www.lynxfx.com/xba/activator_close.jpg

WrathfulPoppa
11-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA

Yup the Sega Activator. I think I'm the only one that actually bought it, and I still have it even though I sold my Genesis a long time ago. It was a blast to play with back then but sadly had nearly no support.

Hopefully what they are talking about doesn't turn into the same lame item known as the Sony Eye Cam, or whatever that thing is called.

http://www.lynxfx.com/xba/activator.jpg
http://www.lynxfx.com/xba/activator_close.jpg

That would be the EyeToy

Back on topic, these types of things are actually quite fun but may get boring after a period of... 5 minutes. The only way to keep the replay value would be versus modes. That is, you get in one booth and your friend gets in the other and you duke it out without ever really touching each other. That, in my opinion, would be the only way to really sell such an item.

DIGITAL
11-21-2003, 12:05 AM
i think this could work on platform games ,such as run an duck.it might turn out pretty cool:huh:

l Maximus l
11-21-2003, 02:34 AM
I think it would be sweet in a first person boxing game..or fighter :D

FragMaster B
11-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Movement controller?... Not cutting edge enough... I want an ESP controller!

Stormlord
11-21-2003, 10:19 AM
They've done this with Tekken in the Arcades. It looked cool, wierd, and ridiculous at the same time. But hey no one ever thought they could make a good FPS on a console right? :cheers:

mattgame
11-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Peepers
This kind of gaming concept will always be "a few years ahead of its time." But even if it did work, and was 100% reliable, wouldn't you prefer sitting on your ever fattening @$$?

You're damn skippy! That's the whole purpose of gaming to duck reality until you die. If I want to workout or do something with my life I'd go to the gym or climb Mt. Everest.:D

WrathfulPoppa
11-21-2003, 12:14 PM
The thing is that it appeals to a certain audience. Just because not everyone will like it doesn't mean they shouldn't make it... I still thing DOA3 versus modes with this gadget would be awesome. Imagine turning on the TV and watching tournaments built off of this. You could watch Jackie Chan duke it out with Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris... That would be sweet to see them jumping around in their little pods pulling off drunken boxing masterpieces and all that. Hell, I could go on Xbox Live and fight Jackie Chan for myself! I could really go on forever about it.

Trento52
11-21-2003, 04:07 PM
I would love to get one of those for dead or alive. That would be so fun. I would probably kick through the wall or something but it sounds cool. I don't know what other games though other then mortal kombat, dead or alive, and deathrow, and boxing stuff.

Peepers
11-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Trento52
I would love to get one of those for dead or alive. That would be so fun. I would probably kick through the wall or something but it sounds cool. I don't know what other games though other then mortal kombat, dead or alive, and deathrow, and boxing stuff.

I would like to have one of those just for the dead or alive girls.:wink:

jelgiad
11-21-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Peepers

I would like to have one of those just for the dead or alive girls.:wink:

yeah.....they may have to bump up the rating on extreme beach volleyball:watchout:

Cryogenic Pyro
11-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by FragMaster B
Movement controller?... Not cutting edge enough... I want an ESP controller!
Yes, that would be cool... but... Who would want to play a game and then the whole time be thinking, "Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot..." or "Punch, kick, punch, kick, punch, kick..."

I'd rather have digital smells. Mmmm... Resident Evil sure smells good.

Ford Mustang
11-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Most of this crap never works out as well as a plain old controller. Probably the most popular genre-specific controllers are Steering wheels and joysticks.

And, just for the record, I HATE DDR...I think it is the scourge of the earth....:cuss:

I don't know where that came from...:watchout: