PDA

View Full Version : The Asian possibility

alistein
11-22-2003, 04:44 PM
I am of the opinion that with the recenttrack record of xbox in Japan and the response from Japanese developers to the xbox ,I think it was time Ms focussed more on other parts of Asia now before it becomes too hot to handle.
It's been over 2 years now since the release of the xbox while the console still continues to struggle it can be said that it's been a success so far except in Japan, It is with this failure of the xbox in Japan that I write for discussion. Ms has tried quite a few gimmicks but with little or no results while there are still many options outthere that are certain to work. I would think it was about time other Asian countries were brought into the industry. I think instead of the continious wooing over of Japanese developers it would be better if Ms tried bringing up developers from places like HongKong ,Taiwan,and S.Korea. Although you wouldn't find many developers here and probably not ones on the Japanese level but with a little time I believe they can ouyshine their counterparts in Japan take Phantagram interactive for example they have one of the best 3d artist I have ever seen and their level of graphic detail is unbelievable. HongKong ,Taiwan and S.Korea practically lead the movie industry in Asia and given time ,money and all the support I believe will emerge champions in these department as well. I believe now is the time to start something huge there already a few Japanese developers are setting their site over there If Ms atarts now they might have a few solid development teams with some awesome game ready for their next generation system(xbox 2 or whatever)and then things may finally become interesting.

MerimacHamwich
11-22-2003, 04:51 PM
That was kind of hard to read becuase it was not broken up properly. However, I think I got the gist of what you said.

Thing is, Microsoft is pushing the XBox is Taiwan, Korea and other countries. Infact, I think there was an article here on XBA within the last month talking about some Tawianese ventures of the Xbox.

alistein
11-22-2003, 05:21 PM
I am not talking about Ms pushing their product in this region.What I mean is for Ms to invest in developers,you know train some and get them organized as a team even buy some . And encourage them with projects .With their level of culture tradition and myths they should be able to produce amazing rpgs not to mention other genres.

OC Noob
11-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by alistein
I am not talking about Ms pushing their product in this region.What I mean is for Ms to invest in developers,you know train some and get them organized as a team even buy some . And encourage them with projects .With their level of culture tradition and myths they should be able to produce amazing rpgs not to mention other genres.

You might get some opinions here, but I doubt there are many people, if anyone at all, on this forum that can knowledgably discuss this.

Who knows, maybe there are a few people that read these forums and do game developing/publishing at a high level. There will probably be a few who claim to, but people on the net claim a lot of things that aren't always completely accurate;)

gerbil
11-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by alistein

It's been over 2 years now since the release of the xbox while the console still continues to struggle it can be said that it's been a success so far except in Japan,

is it b/cuz MS is written in english?? lol j/k :D

Stormlord
11-23-2003, 01:18 AM
I think MS is trying something like that already. Japan is very different from the western world. I guess they prefer loyalty to their own. Recently Mario Kart was released and Gamecube sales actually went up and sold over 200,000 copies of the game in one weekend. Now Nintendo's shares are up and are right behind Sony. No doubt MS will continue to try to win over the Japanese but right now their main focus is Korea. Hopefully MS could get a team from asia because they always seem to make the most beautiful games. Recently I saw a video for Monster Hunter for PS2 and was amazed at the scenery they've created using the PS2. Can you imagine what they can do with an Xbox?

MerimacHamwich
11-23-2003, 05:47 PM
I hate asian gams. Honestly. I think they are the worst developers out there.