PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox Coming Out???

Pimpn419
12-29-2001, 09:16 PM
Hey guys,

My little brother's friend Is over at my house saying how there's a new xbox coming out (not that he knows anything about xbox) In about a year or so that's going to be better than the one that's out right now. Better graphics, faster, ect. ect. Is this true??? If this Is true will we get some sort of a credit towards one like people are thinking about doing for the new Halo coming out with internet capabilities for those who bought the first? So Is It true? Please noooooo.......

-Matt

XboXGangsta
no, thats bull****

Smallz
Im sure there will be an XBox2 or something like that, but nothing is official yet, unless ive missed a press release.

monkeyman
12-29-2001, 09:18 PM
not real

Pimpn419
12-29-2001, 09:20 PM
yeah, today was the first time I heard anything about a new xbox coming out with upgrades and stuff.. I was a little freaked out, but I was sure I would have heard something through this group first.

-Matt

mattcoxonline
12-30-2001, 05:18 AM
I got this from the website I write for, Xbox|360:

Xbox Replacement?
by mattcoxonline

UK magazine, PC Format, released details of Microsoft's new project. Here's the article:

Microsoft is working on a top-secret home entertainment device code-named HomeStation. The PC/Xbox hybrid will run a version of Windows to form a home entertainment hub. The device will finally turn the idea of digital convergence into a living room reality. Following in the footsteps of the PC-influenced Xbox, the device is likely to be a non-upgradeable sealed unit, with a system board based on nVIDIA's nForce, boasting GeForce graphics and Dolby Digital sound. HomeStation will come equipped for an array of online and offline activities: a sizeable hard drive, broadband connection and compression technology based on Windows Media Player 8 - included with Windows XP - all point to a video-on-demand role.

Sources say a Microsoft .NET server will dish out movies, music, messaging, games and TV programming - and with a stonking hard drive, it'll also double up as digital TV recorder (à la TiVo). In addition, it will wirelessly interface with portable devices such as digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 players and telephones using HomeRF or Bluetooth protocols. It may even manage home automation.

Games-wise, it's anticipated HomeStation will play both PC and Xbox titles. Indeed, Microsoft's Xbox will pave the way by establishing Microsoft as a home entertainment brand. But with the Xbox launch gearing up for a showdown with the PS2, Microsoft is keeping HomeStation under wraps. One source close to Redmond was shocked when PCFormat asked about the HomeStation: "I can't say a thing. Listen, the thing is, Microsoft is sidestepping this so as not to distract from the Xbox. It's really hush hush hush - I don't know where you heard this!" Well, heard it we have. And we've had people from Microsoft, Intel, AMD and nVIDIA all alluding to the HomeStation, but refusing to 'fess up on the record. When pressed, Microsoft's Senior Vice President (Games Division) Robert J Bach insisted, "This has nothing to do with me." One flustered Microsoft analyst stumbled: "I haven't heard of HomeStation, but I know that Angela has." And an insider at a potential partner said, "It's no secret to anyone in this industry. The first thing people say is you're not even supposed to know about it, let alone its name."

HomeStation is critical for Microsoft, which is keen to free its corporate anchor from the PC. With the market approaching saturation, the firm is suffering diminishing returns on each version of Windows, and is looking towards the living room for growth. More significant is the role the HomeStation will play in Microsoft's internet vision. The broadband device puts the company's .NET strategy into your front room. "They'll sell it cheap, with the revenues coming from online services and profiling," revealed one source. "What's the pressure to push people into buying this? It's convergence - video on demand, software rental, games rental and music." All of which is already on the cards with Microsoft's WebTV service in the US and its 24 per cent stake in Telewest, whose Blueyonder broadband network serves 4.9 million UK homes.

Because HomeStation will function through a Microsoft gateway, the device will be poised to profile the activities of its users straight back to Microsoft. Information is power and, as advertising becomes increasingly targeted, it's a fast track to big bucks.

The device's launch is heavily dependant on broadband becoming widely available, but you can expect the HomeStation marketing machine to be gearing up by this time next year.

http://www.360net.com/images/news/front.jpg

xBoXGaMeR2002
12-30-2001, 08:31 AM
I hope thats bull****, otherwise it wouldn't really be fair. If it had a better system, why did it release X-Box? I'm not gonna buy homestation now that I have x-box, and a computer. So...

Hugh_Jass
12-30-2001, 08:46 AM
This "Homestation" rumor is old and needs to die. It appeared on one web site and was unsubstantiated by any sources. It was denied several times by Microsoft.

It wouldn't surprise me if something like this was available one day but it won't happen any time soon.

mattcoxonline
12-30-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
This "Homestation" rumor is old and needs to die. It appeared on one web site and was unsubstantiated by any sources. It was denied several times by Microsoft.

It wouldn't surprise me if something like this was available one day but it won't happen any time soon.

I doubt it will happen any time soon - but it was posted on more than one website and in a few magazines.....

JAC
12-30-2001, 02:48 PM
If that's true, I hope it's a LOOOONG way off. I'd hate to be looking in the stores next year and see something a lot better than the Xbox. :(

Vteck3000
12-30-2001, 03:24 PM
I really really doubt that this HOMESTATION will ever come out. Bill invested too much on the XBOX. He will not risk anything to destroy what he started just a few months ago. And IF it did came out......... how much do you think that machine is gonna cost ???????/ Did you see what it could do. Come on it will be over priced and nobody would buy it......... only the wealthy among us would. It wouldn't be enough of a market to support that kind of machine. And already with the pland of a PS3 coming out for 2004 ......... i think that Bill would rather wait and see what happens to that PS3 and how it can crush it with a mear laugh at it.

LynxFX
12-30-2001, 04:03 PM
When I first heard about the Homestation my take from the websites was that it was still the normal xbox, no added speed or graphics capabilities, combined with their tivo unit and a few other added extras. So this wouldn't hurt xbox sales, or the xbox that we have now, it would just be an all in one box for people that want that kind of thing. Maybe the only advantage this one would have is a bigger harddrive that it would be sharing with the tivo unit unless they still partition it with an 8 gig partition for the xbox and the rest for tivo.

As for MS denying it and not releasing info, that is standard business tactics. Go ask nVidia what that you heard that their next gpu was coming in March and would do such and such. They will deny it until they give the official press release about two weeks before the release.

MS won't wait that long but I think the Homestation or a variation on it is very true and will be out sometime next year. I just wonder if it will still contain the xbox though and scrap the console portion of it all together.

Snoopy7548
12-30-2001, 05:53 PM
microsoft probly will come out with an "xbox2", but not in the near future. they wouldnt release a console and wait like 2 years and release another one.