PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Bout Max Pain Yet?

Ninja Scroll
12-29-2001, 09:37 PM
I was gonna pass on this game until I seen the jaw dropping commercial on TV the past week or two and am starting to consider getting this game. The story (from what the commercial was boosting) looks very interesting. I need an action/adventure game for my Xbox, but I wanna know what does anyone that has bought and played this game think about it?

I appreciate any comment that beyond just saying it's all this and that without explaining themselfs why it is! Thx.

Smallz
12-29-2001, 09:41 PM
Well if you havent tried the PC version, im sure its probably just as fun on the xbox, though you'd be missing out on some of the interesting mods/3rd party maps.

Slash10
12-29-2001, 10:34 PM
I was gonna get it but i was short on cash at the moment, but u can almost like freeze time to dodge bullets almost like in The Matrix so I'm really interested in getting it

Ninja Scroll
12-30-2001, 06:55 AM
So that's why it was going in slow motion in the commercial?
I thought they were just trying to add to the suspence!
Matrix like gun shots/dodging huh? Now that's a plus! :)

yall
12-30-2001, 10:20 AM
I'm sure the XBOX version is nearly identicle to the PC version, since the hardware to run the code is virtualy the same. That having been said, it is a great game. There has only been one consistent complaint by those who have played it extensively, and that is the fact that the game CAN be finished in 10-15 hours. Does that mean you WILL finish it in 10-15 hours? No, not likely. Not because of your gaming skills mind you, but because you will want to do some levels over and over again because its that good of a game. I own the PC version, and plan on renting the XBOX version this week. I'll tell you what I think after that.

Frostberg
12-30-2001, 10:35 AM
If you have a good PC system its cheaper to buy the PC game than the Xbox version...its all if you like using the mouse and keyboard or a controller more

XboXGangsta
12-30-2001, 10:38 AM
I love my mouse and keyboard for FPS, works wonders with my set-up

yall
12-30-2001, 11:13 AM
Is there going to be a keyboard and/or mouse setup for the XBOX?

Frostberg
12-30-2001, 11:18 AM
nope, never...dont look for em as MS wants the console to not feel like a PC

Kamshaft
12-30-2001, 11:22 AM
I love that game! Buy it dude!

Toonz
12-30-2001, 12:04 PM
I really do think Max Payne plays better with a controller. This is only shooter I can say that for though.

XBOX Dude
12-30-2001, 12:10 PM
yeah i just beat it last night and let me tell you it's one of the better games out there, their is nothin like flyin towards a guy in slow motion as he bullets fly over your head and you let off a shotgun blast into his chest at almost point blank range

Ground_Pounder
12-30-2001, 01:04 PM
I just bought it the other day, and I must say, it's quite the game. Definatly worth the buy, if you have enough. The story keeps you in the game HUGE. I've played it on my PC also (I d/l a ripped version of it without voices, was kinda boring with no story) and I'll say that once you get used to using your controler to play, it's actually easier and WAY less complicated then mouse/keyboard. It's a great game! It looks the same as the PC version, but it's BEAUTIFUL none the less. If you have surround, turn it on, it's amazingly easier with it because you know what direction to shoot... not like on my PC.

It's a GREAT game, and shootdodging is very useful, but it takes getting used to aiming while flying through mid air... co-ordination is a must for this shooter!

XboXGangsta
12-30-2001, 01:05 PM
my ripped version had sound....hmmm....

Ground_Pounder
12-30-2001, 01:09 PM
Mine had sounds.... but when the comic strips ran, you read them, there was no backround voice... know what I mean ??

I like max's story telling better then my reading.... His way of saying it is great too...

Frostberg
12-30-2001, 01:11 PM
arrr me mates of the software pirate high seas! See how buying a game is much better than downloading it? Actually downloading it might want to make you buy it too so I guess its ok

XboXGangsta
12-30-2001, 01:16 PM
you cant return computer games and they cost up to 70 dollars, I dont want to buy something I dont like

Frostberg
12-30-2001, 01:21 PM
I still dont see how people are returnig Xbox games tho, they must know people at the store, because my eb is really firm about the no refund once opened policy.

VAN
12-30-2001, 01:58 PM
Ninja....

Read this "review" of Max Payne I posted awhile back on here

<a href="http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4398">VAN on Max Payne</a>

Ninja Scroll
12-30-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by VAN
Ninja....

Read this "review" of Max Payne I posted awhile back on here

<a href="http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4398">VAN on Max Payne</a>

thanks for the link VAN, you did a really good in-depth review for someone whome is not a pro at it.
i just got my OXM today and they gave it a respectable 8.8 out of a possible 10.0
I think i'll give it a shop this week. I seen it in my Sunday paper for $44.99 so I guess i'll save $5.00 on it! :)

Ground_Pounder
12-30-2001, 07:26 PM
Actually it was the rip of max payne that made me want to buy it for Xbox. My xbox looks much better then my now dated PIII 450 with Voodoo3 3000 AGP vid card (it only has 16 megs)...

I like having the option of going on the net and downloading a ripped version. I remember porsche unleashed, I wasn't sure so I had d/l it... I ended up buying it the next day and play it for 6 months after that... lol

I bought max payne because i'm not the only person using my Xbox, and I can't play that type of game in front of my brother and sister (the downfall of having siblings under the age of 9... lol), so buying it for me was worth it, whenever everyone leave (a few times a week for a few hours) I pop in Max Payne and fire away. I just started the baseball bat chapter, I only gave it one shot, and had a gun in my hands but b4 I could turn around to fire, I got shot. This I must say has one of the most intriging story's i've played to, something about the new york mafia that instantly makes it a hit. I agree with van's review where someparts in the story you believe you are max payne (for instance in pitch black with surround sound on), you actually get a good scare at times. Rent it if you can finish it during the rent time, but if you like me have a limited Max Payne time, buy it because the story is worth the while... though twisted and at times frighening (can we all say "I hate the bloodlines!") it's an excellent game, and it didn't lose a thing coming from the PC to Xbox.

If you havn't played it on PC... ya might as well play it on Xbox, once you get the control, it's actually easier then the mouse and keyboard...

gtaplayer
12-30-2001, 08:16 PM
theres a max payne commercial????? when did it release...whats it like???

LynxFX
12-30-2001, 08:39 PM
I got the rip on the pc as well and missed out on the voice overs to the cinematics and cut scenes. Still played it and finished it on the pc but wanted the full experience so had to buy it for the xbox. I don't remember the story being cut apart that much on the pc. Guess it is the same but it just feels like a lot more comic book pages this time through.

VAN
12-30-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

I think i'll give it a shop this week. I seen it in my Sunday paper for $44.99 so I guess i'll save $5.00 on it! :)

Ok, Ninja--but don't say I didn't warn ya. :)

You'll have this game beat within 2-3 days, and you'll never touch it again....at least not for a long time.

I still say this is a great game, but only worth the price of a rental.

Ninja Scroll
12-30-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by gtaplayer
theres a max payne commercial????? when did it release...whats it like???

Yeah there is a commercial for it gta!
I seen it a good 50 times by just watching WWF RAW & SmackDown shows! I have also seen it a couple times on MTV.
It all depends on what your watching. Videogame commercials are on shows that are targeted toward the young male audiences. So wrestling & MTV are normally the places to see the Xbox cmmmercial on a regular rotation.

Ninja Scroll
12-30-2001, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by VAN

Ok, Ninja--but don't say I didn't warn ya. :)

You'll have this game beat within 2-3 days, and you'll never touch it again....at least not for a long time.

I still say this is a great game, but only worth the price of a rental.

I know, I know, your review is not in vein VAN.
Im just in a need for a action/adventure type of game for my Xbox. Sad that there is not much to choose from in the young life of the xbox thus far, but I think I will take a chance. And if I dont like it I can just return it back to EB for a trade of something else within 7 days!

Whisper
12-30-2001, 09:33 PM
I rented it from blockbuster yesterday, goes back tomorrow, i beat it already... its a great game, the shootdodging and bullettime are fun as hell, the story is great, but once you beat it there is no point to it except go back and do it all again...

the cheat here on XBOX addict to get the cheat menu does NOT work, no matter how much i tried

VAN
12-30-2001, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
the cheat here on XBOX addict to get the cheat menu does NOT work, no matter how much i tried

Hmmm. The cheat works fine for me.

Oh, I see the problem. XBA has the code listed incorrectly. The correct code to unlock the cheat menu in Max Payne is as follows:

At the main menu, hold in both triggers and push in both analog sticks. Then press White, Black, Black, White, White, Black. (XBA has the button sequence messed up)

You gotta be REAL fast, but I have used this cheat (after I beat the game of course) and can confirm its validity.

I would not recommend using this cheat until you have already completed the game since it really ruins the fun factor.

Evidently, there are multiple cheats that are available within the cheats menu, but in order to unlock new cheats, certain goals must be met, or certain functions performed within the game.

The only 2 cheats I've unlocked are for unlimited refills (ammo, painkillers, bullet time) and the cheat for all weapons including unlimited refills.

Whisper
12-30-2001, 10:28 PM
i knew the sequence was wrong, because i went to gameshark.com and got the sequence you just put up... it still didnt work, its probably has something to do with the say im pushing in the analog sticks, ill go try again..

yes ive beaten the game now im looking to have fun

gtaplayer
12-30-2001, 10:48 PM
if u beat any game in a day or 2 even max payne, but im sorry it shows how much of a life that you have...you dont waste 50 bucks on a game so u can put ur heart out and play it all day for 2days...any1 can beat a game in 2 days if you play for that long...whats the point of even buying any **** videogame if ur playing a game all day long...i got max payne and i love it...i got on xmas day and i was on part 3 chp.5 on easy mode, and i deleted the whole game on purpose and started it all over with the hard mode just so i can get the satisfaction of taking my time with this game till i get another 1...unless ur rich and u can get any game u want any time...then theres no point in reading this thread...peace out

VAN
12-30-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by gtaplayer
if u beat any game in a day or 2 even max payne, but im sorry it shows how much of a life that you have...you dont waste 50 bucks on a game so u can put ur heart out and play it all day for 2days

I would agree with that IF I had spent 12-15 hours each of the 2 days it took me to complete the game. However, it did not. The time to completion for this game is approximately 6-10 hours. If you played for only an hour a day, you could have it completed in just over a week.

Max Payne is a tremendously fun game (until you beat it--at which point it becomes another dust collector), but it's just not worth the price of ownership, IMO.

gtaplayer
12-30-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by VAN
Max Payne is a tremendously fun game (until you beat it--at which point it becomes another dust collector), but it's just not worth the price of ownership, IMO.

thats where i made the mistake on buying the game...thats y im taking a long time 2 beat it

Frostberg
12-30-2001, 11:08 PM
Well being a short game like Max Payne is, just because you beat it fast doesnt mean its a bad game. Halo wasnt as long as I expected it to be, but its still fun. Max Payne is just shorter than it should be, and playing 5 hours a day isint really a lot at all...

LynxFX
12-30-2001, 11:11 PM
Yeah I couldn't get the cheat to work either.

Do you have to hold in the L and R the entire time? Then press in both analogs then do the black white sequence? Or do you press L and R and both analogs at the same time then black white sequence? I've tried many variations and couldn't get it to come up.

VAN
12-30-2001, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Yeah I couldn't get the cheat to work either.

Do you have to hold in the L and R the entire time? Then press in both analogs then do the black white sequence? Or do you press L and R and both analogs at the same time then black white sequence? I've tried many variations and couldn't get it to come up.

First, make sure you are using the correct cheat which I posted oin the previous page (XBA has an incorrect button sequence listed)

You must hold in both triggers, and keep them pressed in. then click both sticks at the same time, and then perform the button sequence. Its real tricky, and ya gotta be fast, but it does work.

LynxFX
12-30-2001, 11:22 PM
Thanks van, I've tried that but must have kept messing up. I was always doing your sequence though. I'll give it another shot.

VAN
12-30-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Thanks van, I've tried that but must have kept messing up. I was always doing your sequence though. I'll give it another shot.

Keep trying. I must have had 50 failed attempts before I finally got it to accept the code. :)

Heyyoudvd
12-31-2001, 12:12 AM
I have to agree with Van on Max Payne.

I downloaded the ripped version without the voices in the cutscenes, and the game was amazing while it lasted, but the entire thing took me about 7-8 hours to complete. I finished it in just over 2 days.

The graphics are amazing, the sound is amazing (but there were no voices in the cutscenes :( ) , the story was great, and the game just kept me going, and wanting to see what happened next, but it was way too short, and has absolutely no replay value.
After finishing it, I had no desire whateover to play through the harder difficulties.

If's it's the same on Xbox as it was on PC, then I definitely reccomend a rental, but not a purchase.

As a rental game, I would give it a 9.5 out of 10, but to buy, I'd probably give it a 3, since you have to pay $45-$50 for about 3 days worth of gameplay.

As I said before, it's a great game, but don't buy it.

Ninja Scroll
12-31-2001, 04:00 PM
let me get this right,.............. Max Payne has absolutely NO REPLAY VALUE?

Toonz
12-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Pretty Much Ninja :^( Unless you enjoy replaying on each of the harder difficulty levels Max Payne does not have alotta replay Value. There is 1 mode where you have to race time and get the through the levels in a certain amount of time but I didn't find it that fun. Max Payne is awsome but unless you enjoy playing all the difficulty levels definetly rent it. It only took me about 15 hours to finish the game the first time through

Ninja Scroll
01-01-2002, 12:15 AM
Man, for a second I was gonna get this joint, but I am so overwehelmed by everyone saying it's only worth a rental!
The commercial pretty much sold me, but I insisted on asking my trust worthy addict bro's what they thought about this game before I bought it.
Is it possible that the more difficulty levels have a better ending for the game since you guys already said after you beat it the first time it unlock more difficulty modes?

Well, I guys since Genma Onimusha is just right around the corner I could go a couple more weeks for an action/adventure game. :)

Ground_Pounder
01-01-2002, 02:05 AM
You know what, I don't think anyone here has tried beating it on the other levels... lol.

I had the idea though (I know it's not this way BUT) that every difficulty level expands the story even more, like make the first difficulty start it off, then move on... BUT then there'd be no replay if it was the same length. I don't see how you could beat the game in like 6 hours though. Like i'm taking my time making sure I find anything I can, and i've got almost 6 hours into part 1! I just started part 2 the other day, and didn't take the time to start the first chapter yet.

I think it's a pretty good game so far though. I don't know how the shootdodging could get old though (that's only if you almost NEVER use it like me!). And btw, some levels are impossible without the shootdodging... like the boss'... hehehe.

FraZz3k
01-01-2002, 03:03 PM
Max Payne is the Coolest!!!

Ninja Scroll
01-01-2002, 05:37 PM
I know I said I was gonna end up passing on this game since most of,..... f'dat, just about all of you said this game was not worth a purchase, but rather a chessy rental :(

Well, I was given a $30.00 gift certificate from a customer at my job! :) So I was either gonna put it towards getting a second controller or getting Max Payne!
Well, I decided the later.
Hey, I only had to pay $20.00 for it! Ah, actually $22.and some change :( d@mn taxes! :D

I guess paying a smart amount of paper is gonna be cool. I'll play this game later and express my opinion (for those who may care to know) in this thread.

yall
01-01-2002, 08:00 PM
hope you enjoy it ninja. let us know what ya think.

Ninja Scroll
01-01-2002, 08:20 PM
thanks yall :) i'll play it once I get off this d@mn forum!
It's like a drug or something! XboxAddict Forum is just calling me! :D It wont let me play my Xbox!

Ground_Pounder
01-01-2002, 09:40 PM
I hear ya ninja!

I need my quick xboxaddict fix everyday too, helps me keep up to date !

Ninja Scroll
01-02-2002, 09:24 PM
for any Max Payne fans please forgive me but I just bought this game on the 1st of January and I put in 15-20 minutes and I thought and felt this was a all around terrible overated game! The voice acting was a joke, the main character has only one exprection which looks like he has to take a sh*t!, the game obviously looks and acts like a PC port with all the load times. The story is cheesy.
What else,..... the movement of the character (Payne) is just wack. The matrix rip off slow mo was okay, but nothing special. Their is sooooo much more I can b!itch about this game but why?
Im about to return this garbage on Friday or Saturday and just get credit at EB for Genma Onimusha or something.

What was all the freakin hype about with Max Lame?
You know, the title does fit the games perfectly: MAX PAYNE, which means PAYNE-FUL to play!! :(

Frostberg
01-02-2002, 09:34 PM
ROFL! I told all of you a long time before Max Payne came out it was nothing special, and isint worth $50...its ok for the PC, but its not worth getting into your Xbox Library...

VAN
01-02-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll <font color="red">(ignoring my advice to rent the game first)</font>
I think i'll give it a shop this week. I seen it in my Sunday paper for $44.99 so I guess i'll save $5.00 on it!

Originally posted by VAN <font color="red">(insisting it's a game to rent, not buy)</font>
Ok, Ninja--but don't say I didn't warn ya.

::sigh:: When will people learn that VAN would never steer them wrong?

Ninja, I bet you think I'm gonna take advantage of this opportunity to say, "I told ya so!", huh?

Well, you're right.

I TOLD YOU SO!

:D

Ninja Scroll
01-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by VAN

::sigh:: When will people learn that VAN would never steer them wrong?

Ninja, I bet you think I'm gonna take advantage of this opportunity to say, "I told ya so!", huh?

Well, you're right.

I TOLD YOU SO!

:D

you know what VAN, I thought about you when I bought this game and when I posted my Max Payne-Ful to play post bashing party!
I know you warned me repeatedly in this thread. I did'nt ignore you buddy. If you read everything I posted in this thread then you would know I only payed $20.00 plus tax for this game.
I give you mad props for warning me several times. It's just that I had to learn the hard way, ya know?
Like "frostcheeseburger" said in his post. This game is not worthy of gracing my library.
As a matter of fact. I feel like I have disgraced my copy of Halo by putting Max Lame right beside it.
NOTE TO SELF: redeem my trust in Halo by taking this sorry crappy game in Payne, and returning it to EB ASAP!

P.S.,............ yeah, you told me so :(

Frostberg
01-02-2002, 10:46 PM
woah I got cheese! Im upgrading the food ranks quickly!

StUmPy01
01-02-2002, 10:52 PM
this game is friggin awesome. i rented it, its tough but fun i give the go ahead to buy it

Ninja Scroll
01-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
woah I got cheese! Im upgrading the food ranks quickly!

Just trying to keep it fresh foe ya slim! :)
NOw you dont wanna see yo hero Ninja use da same jokes over and over do ya frostydapimpburger!

highashell24_7
01-03-2002, 05:25 PM
This is my first posst on this site, and I figured this is the best place to start. I own Max Payne for the PC, and this game is the s**t. I haven't got it for the xbox yet, but it is a must buy I'm sure.

Frostberg
01-03-2002, 05:29 PM
Welcome, but Hmm if you own it for the PC whats the point in getting it for the XBox? Its no different...no additions or anything special, just more expensive

LynxFX
01-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Frostberg,

There is no point, unless you played it with a poor excuse for a computer or the warez version without sound. Then it is at least a rental.

I think I'll keep mine though just for demo material. It does look awesome and is alot of fun to play around with bullettime. Plus I get a kick out of the film noir style of voice overs. :p

Frostberg
01-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Exactly...although its a good game, there is no replay value...and so if you have it on the PC you dont need it for the XBox...highashell24_7, dont waste the $50...save it for another game

l Maximus l
01-03-2002, 05:47 PM
I strongly recommend buying Max Payne if you have never seen or heard the game in action on either the XBox or the PC. This is the main reason why I bought it and I am glad that I am up to date on the greats of this game :D Besides, they are coming out with a sequel...so, if you are a person who has never seen the game, you will be missing a lot of action from the first one. I'm still playing it and it's great :D

Ninja Scroll
01-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey Lynxfx, have you played this game on your Xbox yet? you too Frost?
Now I did say I only played it for 15-20 minutes on Jan 1st and it's still on my entertainment center collecting mad dust as I write. I felt this game was awful for the few minutes I played it.
I want to return it, but I dont feel like traveling back to the mall any time soon.
I only payed $20.00 for it (I had a $30.00 gift certificate), so im not really trippin off of $20.00.
Maybe if I play it a little longer I may feel different, but I doubt it. :(

Ninja Scroll
01-03-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by highashell24_7
This is my first posst on this site, and I figured this is the best place to start.

Oh, almost forgot,.... welcome to xboxaddict's forum highashell24_7 ! This is the place to be for anything related to Xbox. Enjoy your stay kid! :)

Frostberg
01-03-2002, 06:00 PM
I didnt play the Xbox version, but I do own it for the PC, but I see no reason to buy it for the XBox. I wanted to rent it but now I just decided to avoid it and spend my time playing other games and waiting for games...If there was something special or new for the Xbox version then Id prolly check it out, but Ive already done the Max Payne thing...No reason to revisit again...but like Max said if you dont own the PC version than its still a game worth checking out...but being its just a PC port theres no reason to buy it for the Xbox if you own the PC version...

Hmm NJ I think you SHOULD at least try to play Max Payne again, its still a fun game when you play...but after your dont you can let it collect dust

Ninja Scroll
01-03-2002, 06:25 PM
yeah,.....I guess your right Forsty (hehehe) I should give it another shot, but im not making any promises like im gonna come back in the forum and say Max Payne is da greatest game ever! Or something not even on those lines.
I like your taste so i'll roll with you on this one Frostburger, but you will hear from me on this one again bro!

Frostberg
01-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I think it was still a good game, so I dont want to scare away any potential buyers, but I just think its a much better rental because its so short and theres no point in playing it again

NJ you shouldnt hate it as you do, hate it when your done with it and then it feels like a waste of your $20

LynxFX
01-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Ninja,

Yeah I've played it through on the PC (no dialogue though) and now twice on the Xbox. Probably won't touch it again for quite a while but it is fun to bring out once in a while. If I paid for it for the pc then I wouldn't have bought it for the xbox. Why have the same game twice especially like Frost said, there are no extras on the xbox version.

Toonz
01-03-2002, 10:29 PM
I bought it just to show my Xbox off to my friends. Once they see Max Payne and HALO they jump right on the Fan Bus hehehahahehe