PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft now charging money for DLC.. new MechAssault downloads - $4.99

Xbox Owner
11-25-2003, 08:14 PM
New MechAssault content available

Xbox title adds new game types, maps for games stuck on best-selling multiplayer title.

Gamers still playing one of Xbox's most admired titles, MechAssault, have some additional content to explore. Word from Microsoft is that two new multiplayer game types and three new multiplayer maps are available now via Xbox Live.

The new game content and maps will set you back $4.99. The downloads continue the tradition that regularly sees new content being made available to MechAssault gamers.

By Staff, GameSpot [POSTED: 11/25/03 06:11 PM]

Source (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/mechassault/news_6084650.html)

I guess it's worth it, though.....

LiquidX
11-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Well I guess its not that bad since its for all of that content... but since i have no BB or XBL then it doesnt really effect me.

# 1 Stunner
11-25-2003, 08:26 PM
damn, i dont think they should do this, i think they should just go ahead and create a new game, its old...

dances with broom sticks
11-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by # 1 Stunner
damn, i dont think they should do this, i think they should just go ahead and create a new game, its old...

I agree

Thats one reason pay for DL content won't work too well. By the time they make something worth paying for, the game is past its live prime.

Peepers
11-25-2003, 08:39 PM
That's stupid! It needs to be free? What happens in a map rotating game like RS3 if not everybody paid to get the newest map? Does it just boot you? This is insane!

Prankster101
11-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Ya even the Mechassult maps rotate and i dont think ill be paying $5.00, which sucks so then i will be booted each time a map i dont have comes up.

After a while 5 + 5 + 5 ect will add up.

Xbox Owner
11-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Yeah, but remember guys, this doesn't mean this will happen again, they might just be testing the idea.....

ShaDovV RyDer
11-25-2003, 09:09 PM
man i really hope this snt like a cry for help from MS...some ppl say that X-Box hasnt been doin so hot these days and if they r makin us pay for new downloads...wuts next to come...is this a cry for help??? i sure hope not and i think this is just a crazy idea of mine which when u guys get to no me u shall realize that i have a LOT of crazy ideas...neways just a thought...pce

Gamer_Chick
11-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner
New MechAssault content available

Xbox title adds new game types, maps for games stuck on best-selling multiplayer title.

Gamers still playing one of Xbox's most admired titles, MechAssault, have some additional content to explore. Word from Microsoft is that two new multiplayer game types and three new multiplayer maps are available now via Xbox Live.

The new game content and maps will set you back $4.99. The downloads continue the tradition that regularly sees new content being made available to MechAssault gamers.

By Staff, GameSpot [POSTED: 11/25/03 06:11 PM]

Source (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/mechassault/news_6084650.html)

I guess it's worth it, though.....

MS is making a big mistake if the start doing this... a big mistake.

T-FiNGeR
11-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Sorry to be off topic here but damn... if thats "gamer_chick" in that pic, she is hot!

MerimacHamwich
11-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Maybe if they imposed the fee on a game that didn't say "Free downloads" right on the freaking box that would be ok. Dear god. Boo to microsoft on this one.

T-FiNGeR
11-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Anyways, I dont agree at all with this crap from MS! $4.99 for DLC for a game that we payed for?... That is just robbery, MS advertised that the DLC was free and NOW it costs $4.99! Boo to MS for this crap! :cuss:

Prankster101
11-25-2003, 09:38 PM
But in the begining the did say there was going to be a price for DLC. But i still dont agree with it and atleast not on Mechassult casue it said free DLC on the box like MerimacHamwich said.

LynxFX
11-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Sorry but $50 a year is my fee for all downloads. Biggest *raspberry* in the world towards MS right now.

:cuss:

Peepers
11-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Maybe if they imposed the fee on a game that didn't say "Free downloads" right on the freaking box that would be ok. Dear god. Boo to microsoft on this one.

Good point.

When maps rotate, there HAS TO BE the opporotunity for total uniformity lest Xbox Live become a very inconvenient atmostphere for gaming.

BunnyRabbit
11-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA
Sorry but $50 a year is my fee for all downloads. Biggest *raspberry* in the world towards MS right now.

Straight up fo shizzle on that one... MS would be Mega ****ty to go along with this idea...

God...I mean first they start with this game...It will probably just expand to where Xbox Live will cost extra to have the "Download Plan"...

Nobody pay for content and we will shut the "Man" down at its source! :cuss:

shawns20
11-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Check this out. After purchasing 8 XBoxes and a crapload of "system link" games (8 at a time, including MA, MM3, Counterstrike, Crimson Skies, R63, GR, GRIT, RTCW etc.) 1-800-4my-xbox tells me I have to pay $4.95 (x8) for MA content !!! Sorry... They can keep it !!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf02b3127cce82cdd44b56020000001610

mmichael0
11-26-2003, 06:54 AM

Me too :cuss:
Some games are only "LIVE ONLINE ENRBLED" because of the content DL, if they do that, what next, paying a extra fee to play online for some games (more Phantasy Star OnLine) :eek:

Kortiz
11-26-2003, 08:24 AM
*shrug* For 2 new online modes and 3 new maps...5bucks really doesn't seem that bad.

I mean.....a foot long sweet onion chicken teryaki(sp) sub from Subway in a meal deal with a drink and cookies is 7.90 at school.

5bucks for 3 new maps and 2 new online modes........really doesn't seem so bad.

Shawn, you pay 400bucks on 8 copies of one game. What is 40? Then again......it IS Mech Assualt. If it was RS3......I'd be all over it like white on rice though.

I can see this as a bad thing, but then again...you don't have to buy it either. And besides, MS already said some downloads would cost money. On RS3 they state that the garage was........FREE!!! So that means there are going to be some pay to play downloads for that game as well. I just wish they'd hurry the F up and let us download em. I need a new map or 6

borka105
11-26-2003, 11:24 AM
the thing you guys are forgetting is: How much MORE FREE STUFF can Microsoft give us for Mechassault?

I bet 99% of the people in this thread don't know much about the game because they stopped playing it a long time ago.

Infact, the game has had over 11 sets of DLC. Including a lobby and talk icons.

If people are really into this game and are still playing it after it being out for over a year, then paying $5 for even MORE content sounds fair to me.

-borka105

Casper
11-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Wow, way to separate everything possible from the PC gamers....what ever happened to just going to a site and dl'ing the map/gametype/skin for free? Not a good move - not yet at least...dam MS, this blows.

Caesar SYN
11-26-2003, 12:03 PM

Dont we already pay for "Xbox Live" that should cover it.. SCREW MS.. I am going home.. (Back to PC GAMING)

borka105
11-26-2003, 12:36 PM
in essence this is like mechasault 2.

Again like I said, they have already gived away like 6 free maps, 6 free game modes, 4 free mechs, a whole new lobby.

how much more free stuff can they give away?

-borka105

George89
11-26-2003, 01:06 PM
That sucks!!!! Why should I pay to get an extra level on a game thats already supposed to be free!??!?!?! I hope that this doesnt stay, because I am not paying $5 to upgrade my old games.

daneford
11-26-2003, 01:51 PM
do they charge you even if you dont have MA? because i hear youre automaticly charged for the content, you dont have an option to buy it nw not

Bakeman
11-26-2003, 02:01 PM
I have to say I'm rather dissappointed with the reactions I'm seeing here. ESPECIALLY from some of the admins...

It has been a KNOWN FACT since XBL BETA that there would be PREMIUM DOWNLOAD CONTENT that would be for a COST. We all knew this was gonna happen. It has always been known that some content would be free and others would cost. Just like Borka is saying, how much free stuff do you can you expect, from a large company that has NEVER been known to do stuff for free.

E Nomini Patri
11-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by daneford
do they charge you even if you dont have MA? because i hear youre automaticly charged for the content, you dont have an option to buy it nw not

That post made me question your intelligence. Why would they make you pay money for something you don't want? I think you should use the edit button and save your sanity after posting something like that.

And to everyone else. You don't want the content for 5$, then don't freaking pay for it. Stop complaining, you knew they were going to charge sooner or later. Also, it isn't Microsoft charging for the downloads, it's the company that made Mech Assault, cause the money will go to them.

Gamer_Chick
11-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by borka105
the thing you guys are forgetting is: How much MORE FREE STUFF can Microsoft give us for Mechassault?

I bet 99% of the people in this thread don't know much about the game because they stopped playing it a long time ago.

Infact, the game has had over 11 sets of DLC. Including a lobby and talk icons.

If people are really into this game and are still playing it after it being out for over a year, then paying $5 for even MORE content sounds fair to me.

-borka105

if people pay for it now, they will keep pushing and pushing till your paying fore verything extra thru live.. we gotta stop them on their tracks now

Bakeman
11-26-2003, 04:55 PM
you make it sound like a crusade ...

Holt88
11-26-2003, 05:18 PM
If barely anyone pays for it, I'm sure MS will take it away once people don't pay for it.

borka105
11-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Bakeman
you make it sound like a crusade ...

lol Bakeman, I think you and I are the only ones who actually understand what's going on.

I mean I don't think any of the people here ever played Mechassault extensively. If they have, then they would know just how much free stuff has already been given away.

For example: Imagine rainbow six with 5 more levels, 5 more guns, 6 more modes. And imagine all that stuff for free..........

Now after all that, would you be willing to pay $5 for 3 more maps and 2 more modes?

I bet you guys would because you guys would understand just how much free stuff you've been given and that you'd be willing to support the game by further purchasing extra content.

-borka105

LynxFX
11-26-2003, 07:39 PM
a whole new lobby.

That's not something free or additional, that is fixing a bug in the original game. A bug, or missing feature, that got me to sell the game 2 days after buying it and never looking back.

All in all, the way I see it is that I've already gave them my money to cover all potential downloads for the year. That is the $50/year fee for Live. I still don't like paying for a service that I've been getting for free on my PC for 8 years now, and in all honesty has still done a few things better than the pay service of Live. Downloads, unless they are fairly significant expansion packs, should be free. Expansion packs, sell them seperately so I have a physical item on a disc. None of this download only crap that I have to pay for.

dances with broom sticks
11-26-2003, 07:58 PM
What happens when my xbox fries and I have to download again? What happens if I get a new live membership for a family member using the same actual game.

I knew it was coming, and I expected it, but I didnt expect it to be for something they already gave out for free. I dont really care, I played mechassault all of once on live, and 3 times of line, then 'lent' it to a friend about a year ago.

borka105
11-26-2003, 10:24 PM

That's not something free or additional, that is fixing a bug in the original game. A bug, or missing feature, that got me to sell the game 2 days after buying it and never looking back.

All in all, the way I see it is that I've already gave them my money to cover all potential downloads for the year. That is the $50/year fee for Live. I still don't like paying for a service that I've been getting for free on my PC for 8 years now, and in all honesty has still done a few things better than the pay service of Live. Downloads, unless they are fairly significant expansion packs, should be free. Expansion packs, sell them seperately so I have a physical item on a disc. None of this download only crap that I have to pay for.

do you not understand how large these updates have been?

how big was the RS3 map?

how big were the splinter cell levels?

these 11+ updates were HUGE! I mean a map was just as big as a splinter cell level.

In essence they gave away several expansion packs for free.

how much more free stuff do you want?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh and btw don't even give me the whole (they should've had this stuff to begin with cr*p)......

Ghost Recon has a horrible interphase and it was never changed.....

How many extra maps did it get?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
these guys re-did a ton of stuff and they continue to do so.
They have supported this game unlike any company has with any other live game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know you guys personally, but imo it's just crazy how peoples minds here work........ I guess it's with how people were raised here... complaining is a regular thing, I guess you just need to deal with it.

wait Lynx what's with the pc comparision? Who the hell cares.....? I hate playing stuff on my pc, that's the reason I got an xbox and so is the reason many others did too.

I don't want to go out in the freezing cold and drive by store by store looking for some companion disk, when I can attain it right here at home in a mere 5 minutes. It's all about convenience. Also this way this update is exclusive to LIVE owners. A physical disk means anyone can get it..... (heck they probably will make one later), but for now it makes this update exclusive.

-borka105

borka105
11-26-2003, 10:34 PM
my last post in this thread-

Why complain if you have no clue what you are talking about....?

practically none of you even know of 1/2 the updates that have come for this game. Many of you haven't downloaded any of them. Many of you don't even know anything about this game or this topic.

So why post your opinion when in reality it makes no sense....?

If you are not educated in something, why stick your nose in it?

that's the problem here... and is the reason I don't participate in many of the threads on this site. Maturity has just gone right out the window.. it's all about bumping your post count and just randomly saying something.

People like to just jump in and start running their mouths... Care to do a little research first......?

-borka105

dances with broom sticks
11-26-2003, 10:54 PM
my last post in this thread-

Why complain if you have no clue what you are talking about....?

practically none of you even know of 1/2 the updates that have come for this game. Many of you haven't downloaded any of them. Many of you don't even know anything about this game or this topic.

So why post your opinion when in reality it makes no sense....?

If you are not educated in something, why stick your nose in it?

that's the problem here... and is the reason I don't participate in many of the threads on this site. Maturity has just gone right out the window.. it's all about bumping your post count and just randomly saying something.

People like to just jump in and start running their mouths... Care to do a little research first......?

-borka105

Im pretty sure 90% of the posts here were NOT talking about the content of the downloads but how they dont want to pay for downloads on an older game, and how they THINK it could lead to other costs.... What I read was people voicing their opinons?

So what if MS said from the start there would be charges with DL content. They never confirmed that, and even if they did, people can still feel however they want about it.

Sounds to me like you might have a chip on your shoulder, or just paid the 4.99 and realized your the only one who did, so you got no one to play the new maps with, and are feelin sorta sour about it.

:cheers:

ShannonX
11-26-2003, 11:09 PM

it's all about bumping your post count and just randomly saying something.

-borka105 [/B]

thats also known as double posting when you could have edited your last post and added the new content in.

Heavens Gate
11-27-2003, 03:15 AM
I say keep the shizit on The Exhibition disks (shizit that don't effect online play) like the Kola Cell maps and one player stuff. This charging for maps suck. It's tragic to the XBL community. Oh, if I don't have the new maps I get thrown out of the game? No way man, this sucks bad.

Casper
11-27-2003, 08:27 AM

Free maps for the Unreal series on PC (http://www.planetunreal.com/)

Free maps for Counterstrike on PC (http://directory.google.com/Top/Games/Video_Games/Shooter/Half-Life/Counter-Strike/Modifications_and_Add-Ons/Maps_and_Levels/)

Free Half Life maps on PC (http://www.planethalflife.com/)

So, I'll ask, since when (to us cross platform gamers) did it become an 'in' thing to make people pay for extra add-ons for games, which have no community involvement with. There's so many big hits out there that are finally making their way to the Xbox that have been on the PC for a few years now, all having a huge following and their community making maps/mods to the game. I don't get the logic in this. And everyone is saying it's OK now because 'they told us during beta'. Well, I didn't like the idea then and I don't like it now.

We pay $50/year for a service, a service that shouldn't cost us $50/year but it does. Yes, they give us a secure broadband only, voice over IP network. But as everyone has seen, it's not flawless. There's game cheats, lag issues due to lack of hosting, and this just makes me wonder how far they are willing to go with charging us.

Guys, please don't give me crap because we're staff. I have opinions too and I can't always be kissing MS' butt here.

Sharky53
11-27-2003, 08:54 AM
YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!..... i mean casper.

I totally agree with casper. they are already charging a ton (even more for canadians) and now they expect us to pay even more????? psh...... have your downloads. I aint paying one cent.

Duke
11-27-2003, 10:20 AM
From the beginning we knew this would happen.

It's even part of your XBL setup.

While I'm no fan of paying for DLC, they have offered a lot to MA players for free.

I'm just hoping that this will fall flat, and they'll realize that pay for DLC is not going to be as popular as they hoped.

I can't say I won't ever pay for DLC, but I've yet to find a game I'm willing to purchase it for.

And it is true, the pc gamers rarely have to pay for this (w/ the exception of expansions, which are usually pretty extensive anyway)

Oh well, we'll see what happens.