PDA

View Full Version : Xbox DTS

DragonlordFrodo
11-27-2003, 08:10 PM
Does Xbox support DTS Sound? If so how do you enable it?

Rochey69r
11-27-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by DragonlordFrodo
Does Xbox support DTS Sound? If so how do you enable it?

Yes Sir.

buy an advanced AV pack or HIGH DEF AV pack and hook up an optical cable to your receiver.

go to SETTINGS in your dashboard, AUDIO, DTS, enabled.

DTS is only for DVD's that support it though. not xbox games. they all run in DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1

:) hope ive helped :)

DragonlordFrodo
11-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Rochey69r

Yes Sir.

buy an advanced AV pack or HIGH DEF AV pack and hook up an optical cable to your receiver.

go to SETTINGS in your dashboard, AUDIO, DTS, enabled.

DTS is only for DVD's that support it though. not xbox games. they all run in DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1

:) hope ive helped :)

Yeah I have a Advance AV Pack and Optical Cable. I went into the audio settings and all I seen was Mono, Stereo, and Dolby Surround. No DTS.

DragonlordFrodo
11-27-2003, 11:37 PM
I found this while doing a search for Xbox DTS

I bought the AV pack and went into the Dash, but I only see mono/stereo/surround. Where are DD and DTS?

There are issues with some 3rd-party AV packs that prevent the Xbox from recognizing them properly. If you have an optical-out on your AV pack, but don't see the DD or DTS options in the Dash, exchange your AV pack for a Microsoft Advanced or High Definition AV pack.

The source is http://www.1-2-3-xbox-game-cheats-and-codes.com/faq.html#6

So I need an official Av pack?

Rochey69r
11-27-2003, 11:48 PM
I found this while doing a search for Xbox DTS

I bought the AV pack and went into the Dash, but I only see mono/stereo/surround. Where are DD and DTS?

There are issues with some 3rd-party AV packs that prevent the Xbox from recognizing them properly. If you have an optical-out on your AV pack, but don't see the DD or DTS options in the Dash, exchange your AV pack for a Microsoft Advanced or High Definition AV pack.

The source is http://www.1-2-3-xbox-game-cheats-and-codes.com/faq.html#6

So I need an official Av pack?

Mate the same thing has happend to me once. I have a official advanced av pack and i went into settings but i saw no DD or DTS options.

in the end i took apart the setup and reconnected it all. it has been ok since then.

1. turn the machine off
2. take out all cables from the console only (power, av connector and cat45 (for xbox live)
3. make sure they are all good and clean, get any dust off them
4. put them all back in
5. start ya machine
6. go to audio options and hope for the best.

good luck bro :)

DragonlordFrodo
11-28-2003, 10:54 AM
How can I tell if my AV pack is the official one or not? I bought it off ebay and it came without a box. Mine is almost like a perfect square shaped with the AV Jacks on the side and the Svideo and optical jacks around the corner. There is also 2 small buttons on one side, which I don't know what they do, but when you press them they click like a the sound of a mouse. Next to the buttons is a hole lined with metal, it kind of looks like a headphone jack.

Rochey69r
11-30-2003, 03:06 AM
How can I tell if my AV pack is the official one or not? I bought it off ebay and it came without a box. Mine is almost like a perfect square shaped with the AV Jacks on the side and the Svideo and optical jacks around the corner. There is also 2 small buttons on one side, which I don't know what they do, but when you press them they click like a the sound of a mouse. Next to the buttons is a hole lined with metal, it kind of looks like a headphone jack.

it will have microsoft printed on it somewhere.

look all over it.

LynxFX
11-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Sounds like you have a third party one, perhaps from Madcatz?

This is the official one:
http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/6F04255F-F9D8-40CB-B97B-281B203994F2/0/ilmadvancedavpack001.jpg

DragonlordFrodo
11-30-2003, 04:51 PM
It doesn't say Microsoft or any brandname on it, but it does say Xbox on the plug you put in the xbox.

LynxFX
11-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Like I said, it is a third party adapter. If it doesn't look like the picture I posted, it isn't from Microsoft.

If you are really have trouble with the one you have, go to the store, drop down $20 on the official Advanced A/V pack and give that one a try. If it works, case solved. If you still have problems, then it is something else and you can return the $20 pack.

DragonlordFrodo
11-30-2003, 09:01 PM
I just bought a new one off ebay. New in box microsoft brand.

Is this one the right one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3061586314&category=41015&rd=1

LynxFX
11-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Yup that's the one.

Rochey69r
12-01-2003, 05:13 AM
Rochey and Lynx help their first trouble struck member. :)

Hope it works for you now mate.

:cheers:

DragonlordFrodo
12-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Still waiting for the AV pack...

DragonlordFrodo
12-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Got my pack today. I plug it up and it works! I watched Lord of the Rings Fellowship Extended in DTS to test it, and was thouroughly impressed. Thanks people

Rochey69r
12-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Got my pack today. I plug it up and it works! I watched Lord of the Rings Fellowship Extended in DTS to test it, and was thouroughly impressed. Thanks people

glad it works for you champ. :)

now u need to watch some decent movies on it :P

try these: Back to the Future (box set), The Fast and the Furious, Monsters INC and Blade 2.

they all have DTS and aregood movies. :)

enjoy

LynxFX
12-06-2003, 08:54 PM

glad it works for you champ. :)

now u need to watch some decent movies on it :P

try these: Back to the Future (box set), The Fast and the Furious, Monsters INC and Blade 2.

they all have DTS and aregood movies. :)

enjoy
Oh come now Rochey, Fellowship owns all of those. ;) And Back to the Future Region 1 doesn't have DTS. The DD and DTS sounded identical so they ended up omiting it for the Region 1 release and upped the video bit-rate. Still an excellent set.

DragonlordFrodo
12-07-2003, 05:20 AM
On fellowship, I watched part of it in DTS and then switched to DD 5.1. I liked the DTS sound better. It sounded more full and richer, and louder.

LynxFX
12-07-2003, 07:14 AM
On fellowship, I watched part of it in DTS and then switched to DD 5.1. I liked the DTS sound better. It sounded more full and richer, and louder.
I agree, that the DTS track is better than the DD on Fellowship, and creates the better sound field. It isn't louder per say though. DTS tracks are typically recorded 4 db louder than DD, so make it an even comparison you would have to turn up the volume 4 db when playing the DD track.

Fellowship EE and Two Towers EE are my two favorite demo discs. Incredible sound tracks.

Rochey69r
12-11-2003, 03:05 AM
yeh may be good sound but terrible movies lynx.

try the KISS: Symphony DVD. DTS 5.1 and even better i was there. its like reliving the show :)

and as for the DTS and DD being the same on our region 4 discs of back 2 the future. well let me say dont believe everything you hear lynx. LITERALLY! i listened to both and there is a huge difference in the soundfield and sharpness.

MikeMan91389
12-11-2003, 06:06 AM
lolz. im getting DD soon ... for my tiny room, so i dont feel bad about the DD sounding less effiecient that the DTS :)

LynxFX
12-11-2003, 11:14 AM
yeh may be good sound but terrible movies lynx.

try the KISS: Symphony DVD. DTS 5.1 and even better i was there. its like reliving the show :)

and as for the DTS and DD being the same on our region 4 discs of back 2 the future. well let me say dont believe everything you hear lynx. LITERALLY! i listened to both and there is a huge difference in the soundfield and sharpness.
Lord of the Rings terrible movies?!?!?!? And yet you list Fast and the Furious? Tsk tsk Rochey.

As for BTTF DTS, the comparison came from Bob Gale himself in the studio with the original masters. That is better than what you would even hear on the DVD and they concluded, based on the results of the R4 discs ( yours) that the difference is negligible and decided to up the image quality by improving the bit rate. I would tend to go with his views.

BTW, both BTTF 2 and BTTF 3 had framing errors (missing, cropped image) and have been rereleased with the correct framing as was shown in the theatre. To get your replacement discs do the following:

Australia:
Please send your "Back To the Future" discs 2 & 3 (without the case) to the address below and we will replace the two discs for newly-pressed DVDs with updated framing. Please enclose a letter stating your Name, Full Mailing Address, Daytime Phone Number and your reason for return. Please allow 4 weeks from April 30 for your replacement discs to be dispatched.
BTTF Exchange / UPA Customer Service
PO Box 17
Millers Point NSW 2000