PDA

View Full Version : Why are developers scared to join Xbox?

blackiee2002
11-28-2003, 09:05 PM
It makes no sense why japanese companies wouldn't develop for the xbox. they all just flock to sony and ninty while if they look very carefully it would be in their best interest to develop for the xbox because since it is farily new, any dveloper that develops for it would be noticed quickly anc can easily climb up the fan base ladder. while if they developed for sony, there are so many games on that system that even many games go unnoticed. and therefore they sell less. why not develop for xbox for a better deal what u guys think?

prakeem
11-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Although it is much easier for devopers to create games for the Xbox (pc game-type programming), plenty of them have been bought out, at least many of their game licences have. Also, before the Xbox was released, some of these developers signed contracts with the PS2 for the exclusivity of many games. It's a shame that the Xbox and XBL have not the full, if any, support of some Japanese developers.

CMX Jedi
11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
as most of us know.xbox isnt doing as good in japan as it is here.

Trento52
11-28-2003, 11:41 PM
No matter what game it would still sell better on the gamecube or ps2 in japan then xbox because the more consoles sold are the more chances some people will try the game and even if the people in japan with an xbox all bought the game it would never be enough or sell as good as it would on the other systems IMO.

Wolfboy_888
11-29-2003, 12:19 AM
its coming though..ive noticed it in my area... actually seeing kids renting xbox games at blockbuster....more rows for xbox in stores...more people getting xbox's...the invasion has begun!

Duke
11-29-2003, 09:48 AM
At the Hollywood Video I go to, the xbox area has one more full section than the cube, but is still dwarfed by the PS2.

Which sucks, there are always new releases available for PS2, but I have trouble getting my hands on any xbox title until it's been out for at least a month. I guess at least people are renting the limited xbox copies.

OC Noob
11-29-2003, 09:57 AM
I was in EB yesterday and talking to them about their trade in a PS, N64 or (I think) dreamcast and 7 games from which ever system and get a used GC for $30 or used PS2/Xbox for $99 and to my surprize they had sold the used Xboxs and still had PS2 and GCs.

We talked about how we all thought the $30 GC would go first, but they said Xboxs went the quickest.

I was pretty surprized, but it looks like Xbox is really catching on.

MikeMan91389
11-29-2003, 01:02 PM
thats cuz XBOX is the shizzle nizzle... and has the best future... ya no? cuz i mean, XBOX is WAAAYYYY ahead of any system in online gaming... BINGO

Trento52
11-29-2003, 01:04 PM
In our video gallery they have alot of really good xbox games and ps2 games but barely any gamecube games. Game cube has about a third of a rack. Xbox has about a rack and a half and ps2 has 3 racks. Yet alot of teh xbox games a re rented out and ps2 has some rented games but most of thm aren't even touched. Tehyare starting to get only 2 copies of games for the ps2 instead of 12. I don't know what sells good around here other then ps2 but xbox has had some of teh most fasted selling games even though there aren't as many on tejh shelf as the ps2. Gamecube isn't selling except for kiddie games. Gameboy is doing good in games but no one has the sp.

blackiee2002
11-29-2003, 05:30 PM
[Trento52 No matter what game it would still sell better on the gamecube or ps2 in japan then xbox because the more consoles sold are the more chances some people will try the game and even if the people in japan with an xbox all bought the game it would never be enough or sell as good as it would on the other systems IMO. ]

totally not true, look at Tecmo and Team ninja for instance... every game team ninja has released on the xbox in Japan has sold close to a million units it is not because of the xbox it has to do with the games. if they get the gaes they like imo, the xbox will fly off shelfs like crazy. in my opinion, there are to many developers for sony to the point that even most of them are unoticed. so why don't they just develop for a console that is easier to develop for and it is more powerful. Team ninja has seen the light if the japanese developers are very samrt, they would follow Team Ninja's route.
Bounce

Voodoo_Vince
11-29-2003, 05:44 PM
Who cares, The japanese market isn't critical for the Xbox to survive , the U.S. was the first to have the Market (Atari,Coleco,Magnavox) but they copped out in 84 on the basis that the video gaming industry was Dead, NES came in 85 and stole the market, getting Japanese Dominance in the industry along with SEGA even though sega was founded by Americans it's still a Japanese company ,

Seriously , I look at Japanese RPG's and Laugh they suck, Most japanese games look they all came from the same cookie cutter , There are some really good Japanese games , Shenmue for one Panzer Dragoon , ect,, but for the most part they are boring, R63,Halo,Doom,KOTOR,Crimson skies, Splinter Cell all blow any Japanese game out on any of the new consoles of course Im not 100% sure all of those are non japanese devolopers but I think so ,

My point is Japanese devolopers Don't matter in the long run Xbox has 5 billion behind it thats half of all of nintendo's total worth and half of Son'ys Yearly income ,

blackiee2002
11-29-2003, 05:52 PM
[Voodoo_Vince Who cares, The japanese market isn't critical for the Xbox to survive , the U.S. was the first to have the Market (Atari,Coleco,Magnavox) but they copped out in 84 on the basis that the video gaming industry was Dead, NES came in 85 and stole the market, getting Japanese Dominance in the industry along with SEGA even though sega was founded by Americans it's still a Japanese company ]

Oh yeah, if that is true why do you think Microsoft is tyring very hard to just even grab percentage of the market there. why is Microsoft givning the Japanese the best bundles and deals compared to what we get. Japan may not make games you like but don't underestimate what a country such as Japan could do to a console company. they could make or break a company. just look at the Dreamcast, they fell just because they EA did not support them. how much more a whole country.

alistein
11-29-2003, 06:21 PM
If you ask me I would say Ms is wasting too much time on a shrinking market (Japan ) They need to move and invest in other parts of Asia .I believe they should also look to developers in places like Korea,HongKong,China,Taiwan and Singapore where the people there are quick to embrace the console also I believe places like HongKong, China , Korea and Taiwan will be better at developing games than Japan and can lead to heavy competition with the Japanese developers. This I say because these nations are better in all forms of entertainment (mainly movie making) than their Japanese counterpart. And nowadays games are moving ever closer to becoming like movies which give the advantage to the movie producing nations in Asia like HongKong . Mainlnd China Taiwan and Korea. A solid developer in Korea is Phantagram housed now under NCsoft. Check out trailers for their games below and then check the rest at www.gametrailers.com which inludes Kingdom under fire(KUF) and Shiining Lore(MMRPG).
If a company like this were backed by Ms they would do great things for the xbox instead Ms wastes so much time on Japanese developers only interested in publicly embarassing their console with weak ports. Phantagram is highly skilled in practically all kinds of games and have one of the best 3D artists along with a special built engine (Blue engine I think) that delivers unbelievable graphical features. The company was formed in a time of economic problems where all the best developers in Korea came together as one force to be able to stay in the market also to stay a large percentage of the company was sold to NCsoft but the company stii has loyalty to the xbox if only MS would support them or buy them up .This company im ,y opinion will be able t make better rpgs than Square if given the chance.

http://www.teamxbox.com/showmedia.php?mid=194

http://www.teamxbox.com/showmedia.php?mid=193

http://www.teamxbox.com/content.php?%20id=82

http://www.teamxbox.com/content.php?%20id=218

blackiee2002
11-29-2003, 06:32 PM
[alistein If you ask me I would say Ms is wasting too much time on a shrinking market (Japan ) They need to move and invest in other parts of Asia .I believe they should also look to developers in places like Korea,HongKong,China,Taiwan and Singapore where the people there are quick to embrace the console also I believe places like HongKong, China , Korea and Taiwan will be better at developing games than Japan and can lead to heavy competition with the Japanese developers. This I say because these nations are better in all forms of entertainment (mainly movie making) than their Japanese counterpart. And nowadays games are moving ever closer to becoming like movies which give the advantage to the movie producing nations in Asia like HongKong . Mainlnd China Taiwan and Korea. A solid developer in Korea is Phantagram housed now under NCsoft. Check out trailers for their games below and then check the rest at www.gametrailers.com which inludes Kingdom under fire(KUF) and Shiining Lore(MMRPG).]

Excellent post!! :cool:

i like that idea a lot except for main land China. China is Pirate Country, why do you think none of the consoles have launched thier consolese in china yet "except for Ninty" because they pirate to many games. just look at the movies industry imo. . . the idea is great but for a console to be released there one must make sure it will be unhackable, which is impossible. the xbox was hacked like the first month it came out in the usa. how much more China. any way if thier able to address those issues yep it will definately be a great idea. :cheers:

ShaDovV RyDer
11-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Um can u plz define shrinkin in the first part of ur post??....if u have been watching you should have seen that the popularity of the X-box in Japan has been growing week by week...it now has about 7% of the gaming market and its growing...one reason i think that the X-Box is not doing to how as far as selling the amount of games that the PS2 is getting sold is because if u walk into a store like Blockbuster u can see that everytime there is a new PS2 release that one game alone has about 12 copies and when X-Box gets a new game it has about 4...most ppl i no dont buy games until they r sure that they r not just rentals and r really fun...for this reason ppl have to wait forever to even play a game because Blockbuster only has 4 copies and when ppl go to get a PS2 game that just came in they have no trouble with 12 freakin copies...basicly wut im tryin to say here is that if MS would get about 3 or 4 more copies of new releases out to rental stores they may very well speed up the selling process...pce

blackiee2002
11-29-2003, 06:56 PM
:argue1: i never said the xbox was shrinking but heck if you want to go there then we may as well go. if i remember correctly, the ps1 and even the so called wonder swan :watchout: were laying the smack down on xbox. the only reason it sold a lot more last week is because of the prize cut and the awesome bundle. any way that is not what i was talking about, i said the developers should suport the xbox more because it is in thier best interest to do so.
funk out

Trento52
11-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Some japanese games i can think of are some of the best on xbox, dead or alive 3, panzer dragoon orta, jet set radio future, Otogi myth of demonds, xtreme beach volleyball, and now there are even more dead or alive games coming out and a sequal for otogi. Do not forget Ninja Gaiden!

alistein
11-29-2003, 11:15 PM
I am the one who said the Japanese market was shrinking and I meant the game-industry there as a whole according to some earlier reports these year the industry had shrunk by over 5% and the xbox selling 7000 units in a week is no big deal last year they were selling about 12000 units at these same period last year besides it's not just because of the bundle Ms has had to reduce most of their games to 700 yen (about $7) this has aided the sale and wait till after Christmas to judge for all we know it could easily fall back within the next 2weeks.

And Blackie China is truly big on piracy but did you know that is where most of the electronic products used are made even the xbox and ps2 and their production sees no piracy threat. Besides sooner or later you have to deal with piracy better now than later Sony and Nintendo are already entering into China with a specially designed GC already launched in China. Also Ms is by no means new to China they have been at work there for sometime with/concerning their computer operations all they need is to use it as a format for setting up their xbox business.

The Asian industry has the potential along with the talent to deliver games on the level of their high quality movies all they lack or need now are funds and support which Ms should be able to do atleast to a certain extent. i would really like to see what kind of rpgs HongKong'Korea,China and Taiwan would produce mostly HongKong and China due to their rich culture ,traditions, and myths which is sure to influence their rpgs maybe will see more games better or like Shenmue 1&2. Just let Ms strike an exclusive game deal with Phantagram atleast I would know they are on the right track it bores me silly when Ms deep interest in Halo and owning of Rare keeps holding them back because they rely too much on them as if they are the ones going to deliver the xbox when Halo isn't even recognized in Asia and Rare fails to make a first good impression on the console. Ms needs to wake up Asia won't wait forever as their already Japanese developers along with Sony trying to infest Asia and very soon controlling it and forcing Ms out .You areall stillcomplaining about Japan what will you say when xbox is sent packing from a whole continent. Now you understand so tell Ms.

blackiee2002
11-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Cool, it will be awesome to have rpgs and games rich in that culture. i already see Jade empire has a lot influence in Chinese myths which is cool. i agree with u alstein. Ms should tap the market and expand thier horizon.

alistein
11-30-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks .Now if only there was a way to get this across to Ms before it becomes too late. Yeah Bioware's rpg trwiler looked awesome but just imagine the chinese or Koreans developing a game like this that is based around everything about them. I just can wait to see it.

CC-CRC
11-30-2003, 06:39 PM
The developers are afrid to join becasue its new over there. After they see how well Team Ninjas and other Asian developers games are doing im sure they will all jump on the Best System Outs Bandwagon.

blackiee2002
11-30-2003, 07:31 PM
[CC-CRC The developers are afrid to join becasue its new over there. After they see how well Team Ninjas and other Asian developers games are doing im sure they will all jump on the Best System Outs Bandwagon. ]

That is what i really believe will happen, except that it is just taking to much time to happen. it is the best opportunity for some of them and yet they don't even see it. how sad.