PDA

View Full Version : This is the reason Xbox 2 is gunna kill ps3

Pool Of Blood
11-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Today at the Australian Financial Review, Phil Harrison, Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, revealed that Sony is currently exploring the possibility of using motion sensing technology in the PS3. This technology, which would be very similar to Sony’s highly successful EyeToy, could be the start of a new way for playing video games.

In fact, it is because of the success of EyeToy that Sony is exploring this possibility. The EyeToy, recently released in the US and Japan, but a huge success in Europe, was a test bed for this new technology. Mr. Harrison commented that, “EyeToy was a signpost for things in the future. If you can attach very high-resolution, low-cost video cameras you can deduce some quite interesting things about their users. We'll be able to extrapolate eye movement and gestural recognition, more complicated finger movement, and the logical next step of that is to deduce from a person's facial expression and demeanour what their emotion state is.” The possibility for a motion driven menu system, similar to those used in the futuristic science fiction film Minority Report, was also mentioned.
While Sony has not confirmed that a camera would be included on the PS3 for use in this nature, the fact that they are working on such possibilities is exciting nonetheless. While a camera may not be included, the existence of a add-on is almost certain with the success of EyeToy, and we may just see these sort of features on a PS3 in the near future.

:eek:

This has to be the stupidest ideia they have ever come up with.
PS3 Is gunna cost 700$ by the time its done.

blackiee2002
11-30-2003, 05:06 PM
not really, if you ask me, i say Ms should once also copy sony on this one. sony has been copying a lot from Ms and Ninty. cause mad people are buying this thing like crazy, i will prefer music mixer to this but hey the sales it all. ms should grab that idea and make it better.:D

blackiee2002
11-30-2003, 05:09 PM
heck if you ask me your title should read: this is the reason the ps3 would kill the xbox. which i doubt but could be possible

bobby9989
11-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by blackiee2002
heck if you ask me your title should read: this is the reason the ps3 would kill the xbox. which i doubt but could be possible

Are you crazy? I think people will like the new ATi video card and all the other features of X-Box 2. Than having a camera. Well I would anyways.

Shadow20002
11-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Something around 500 bucks is okie for a new console. ;)

Wolfboy_888
11-30-2003, 05:36 PM
who like me thinks the camera thing is ***?

xbox genius
11-30-2003, 05:39 PM
man i dont really care what kind of special features each console has... i just want consoles to stay consoles. and stay cheap heh.

Pool Of Blood
11-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Wolfboy_888

I agree with you. It is ****. Its like a web cam on a tv woopdy

:cuss:

Sharky53
11-30-2003, 05:53 PM
i dont get it.. so it tracks ur movements so what u do ur character does in the game?

Pool Of Blood
11-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Sharky53
i dont get it.. so it tracks ur movements so what u do ur character does in the game?

You wave your hand over bubbles and they pop. Its supposed to be fun,

:o

LynxFX
11-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Sony doesn't even have a light gun that works with progressive tv's, which will be standard by the time the PS3 comes out, and they want to start doing this motion crap? Come on. For one thing, the variables have to perfect for it to work. You have to be directly infront of the camera, which will most likely be on top of the tv for most people and you have to be straight in front of that, probably a specific distance away as well. Well I am 10 feet away from my tv, at an angle laying on my couch. For my projector, I am 14 feet away, and my xbox is to my immediate left. There is no place to put a camera device for that setup. So that kind of tech is 0-2 in my house and I'm sure it wouldn't be easily feasible in a great number of other people's houses either.

I honestly can't believe that people are buying this eyetoy. It was lame at E3 and it is lame watching people use it at Best Buy.

morrowindGOD
11-30-2003, 06:17 PM
and you know how many times the managers of both ms and sony will change there minds?? i have an october 2001 issue of electronic gaming monthly that said ps2 NEXT month would release the hardrive.. lol almost 3 years later its still not out or is it? im not so sure i stopped payin attention to sony

dd deeznuts
11-30-2003, 07:19 PM
who like me thinks the camera thing is ***? yes that *** camera is really *** and sony is *** for doing it man there ***

blackiee2002
11-30-2003, 07:36 PM
[CC-CRC The developers are afrid to join becasue its new over there. After they see how well Team Ninjas and other Asian developers games are doing im sure they will all jump on the Best System Outs Bandwagon. ]

hmm where have you been the last few months. this eyetoy has been selling like hot cakes kids are so amused by it. Music mixer is a lot better than that yet just compare the sales and you notice you are sadly mistaken

WillyV2
11-30-2003, 07:40 PM
to me it all depends on what games i want and the price of them.... i will get xbox 2 for sure though it should be more powerful then any video game machine ever

DarkMatter
11-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Since SOny is the VOM at EB this month we put a Eyetoy in our PS2. It actually is somewhat fun. I of course was the kung Fu master and no one could beat my score.

I know if I get a PS2 I will be getting one of this. I can just see me and my buddies sitting around getting so drunk while playing this:cool:

JB20_2003
11-30-2003, 07:59 PM
I'm in it mostly for the graphics if Xbox 2 cleans PS3 with graphics like it has done to the PS2 that's all I need. Who cares about motion sensor bull$%!*... Graphics win all with me. And so far Xbox is wearing the pants on that one.

Professor Kaos
11-30-2003, 08:00 PM
only problem is that ibm(i think) is making the processor for all 3 3rd gen consoles, or atleast they are using the same one.

Kronicle
11-30-2003, 09:03 PM
The whole cam thing is pretty stupid. It's like that gameboy thing...what was it called? Exactly, people were fascinated by taking crap pictures, putting pig noses all over the place, and making stickers with it. But, how long did that last? Hah, I mean come on! It's absolutely stupid...

newmodel
12-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Sony will not implement this technology correctly. People will buy this crap anyways. They bought the PS2, right? The technology is inevitable, but someone has to acctualy spend the money and time to produce it. That definitly will not be sony. I would look for this on the next big thing microsoft does, maybe after Xbox 2. Sony just trying to make some more hype. When you have a multibillion dollar video game business thats driven tottaly by marketing, rather than quality, hype is always a good thing. Hopefully by the time Xbox 2 rounds out people will learn the difference between marketing and quality. I doubt it though. :rolleyes:

-newmodel

OC Noob
12-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Sounds like they want to collect all this information for their use, which is pretty scary. I'm sure if they tried that crap no one would use it, though.

Marc_01
12-01-2003, 11:29 AM
I agree it's a dumb idea. For these reasons:

1. When I sit down to play a game, I don't want to sweet my ass off trying to play. Can you say "Powerpad"?

2. Crap like this never ever works like it suppose to. Never.

3. Its for the playstation. yuck.

These geeks in higher levels of corp tech land need to wake up. People don't care about getting in front of a TV and getting a work out or interact with cartoons. People with brains in their head want technology that allows them to play games, listen to music and watch movies. The xbox has nailed what most people enjoy while "relaxing" (movies, music and games). I think the company that comes up with real world better usage of those major three components of a console, will be the winner in the long run. Spending time on novelties and gimmicks that adults and kids play no more than 2 times will get you no where imo.

Trento52
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
They say they are using the cameras as motion detectors for games but really tehy are watching your every move from the cameras and studying you like animals.

anyways

I think it would be fun if they had cool games. I would love to kick some virtual ass on dead or alive 3 not popping bubbles and waving my arms like a fairy. And aren't all the systems going to have ATI graphic cards and the same cpu stuff. Well ps3 will have nividia. What cpu are they going to use?

MikeMan91389
12-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Meh, that thing sounds ok, and stupid.... I dunno... depends how much it will cost ya no?

JimmieDoogan
12-01-2003, 05:29 PM
As an owner of all modern consoles and the Eye Toy in particular, I can say that this thing is NOT the wave of the future. I enjoy it for sure, but it will not replace the controller in my hand. At the very least, its not yet. It's not sophisticated enough just yet to work and I doubt they'll have something that sophisticated by the time PS3 releases.

Besides, as much as I enjoy EYE TOY I wouldn't wanna work out every single time I played a game. Then again... what a concept... WOrking out every time I play... I woudln't be this pile of American Mush that I am if I played Eye Toy day in day out. And Believe me... it is a work out, especially on the hard settings... You be sweatin after at least 90% of the games, even on easy. But they're very fun, and even if such is so, it's still not going to be the end all in video games, as I'm sure there are quite a few people who would'nt be able to play alot of games were the Eye Toy the only controller available. Then again, it's not practical to think it would be...

At any rate, I honestly don't think MS has anything to worry about, none the less, I agree with the guy that said they should copy sony cause it's a pretty kick ass lil toy.

MikeMan91389
12-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
As an owner of all modern consoles and the Eye Toy in particular, I can say that this thing is NOT the wave of the future. I enjoy it for sure, but it will not replace the controller in my hand. At the very least, its not yet. It's not sophisticated enough just yet to work and I doubt they'll have something that sophisticated by the time PS3 releases.

Besides, as much as I enjoy EYE TOY I wouldn't wanna work out every single time I played a game. Then again... what a concept... WOrking out every time I play... I woudln't be this pile of American Mush that I am if I played Eye Toy day in day out. And Believe me... it is a work out, especially on the hard settings... You be sweatin after at least 90% of the games, even on easy. But they're very fun, and even if such is so, it's still not going to be the end all in video games, as I'm sure there are quite a few people who would'nt be able to play alot of games were the Eye Toy the only controller available. Then again, it's not practical to think it would be...

At any rate, I honestly don't think MS has anything to worry about, none the less, I agree with the guy that said they should copy sony cause it's a pretty kick ass lil toy.

hmmm.. u made it sound interesting.,... how much does it run for???

Kronicle
12-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Have you heard of the PSX? It comes with a ps2 built in and it's supposed to be some kind of home entertainment center. But at $700, I think it's a total rip, the ps2 alone can do most of the stuff it can. Just another way of marketing to the unaware I guess.

CMX Jedi
12-01-2003, 05:48 PM

your not the only one

Marc_01
12-03-2003, 01:15 PM
If you need a device like the Eye Toy to stay in shape and get exercise, you should get a gun and shoot yourself for being a tard.

Smash the eye toy and go outside.

Crazy Joe
12-03-2003, 11:55 PM
i like the idea of the eyeToy just because you can put your own face into games... i think Xbox should provide some sort of PC connection that allows you to transfer digital pictures onto your Xbox for the same effect..

Uchiha Sasuke
12-04-2003, 12:28 AM
I hate it how all you fanboys are saying that the Xbox 2 is going to be the greatest and such. You do not know what any of them are going to offer and i'm pretty damn sure Sony won't make the same mistake with there console that they did last time. Infact I suspect if each company releases there consoles all around the same time, Sony will probably have the console that edges out the others, plus what ever company annouces the details to there console first usually gives the rivial the edge.

monster1234
12-04-2003, 02:51 PM
I agree with Pool of Blood that this idea for the PS3 is ridiculous. Of course, I think getting a PS3 over and Xbox2 would be ridiculous anyway.

mattgame
12-04-2003, 03:18 PM

I do. I have been working at EBGames for over a month now and we have sold zero eyetoys. It is garbage. It is ridiculous. Sony is reaching, they feel the heat of the green light bearing down on them. ;)