PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 2 year warranty worth it?

Xelcier
12-01-2003, 11:44 AM
They say no later then 10 days after you purchase but thats a load of bull lol. They ask you to rigt down the date. I was wondering if its worth it. After exchanging 2 xboxs I still have the Thompson :(. Cant seem to get the newer xboxs. So would the warranty be worth getting incase something later on breaks and I get a newer one?

darkfusion
12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
I think it's definatly worth it, especially with those damn Thomson drives :(

You'll probably regret it if you don't and it's only like $30 or something right?

Peepers
12-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Statistically speaking, warranties are rip-offs. You're much more likely to never use your warranty. However, there are abberations. I have not purhcased a warranty, but I've also purchased three Xboxes. So I lost the numbers game--even though I was more likely to win it. It comes down to your choice: are you willing to take the small risk for the almost certain eventuality that you won't use your warranty?

Sharky53
12-01-2003, 12:14 PM
i would get it. These thomspon drives seem to be the devils curse. How much is it?

X-Fan
12-01-2003, 12:26 PM
wtf is wrong with the thompson drives????i have one and its perfect!!!anyways i think if u can afford to u should definetely get the warranty.

Xelcier
12-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Its 50 for warranty.

I think with me owning the thompson drive ill do it lol :D

Ill just rent games for this pay week and buy next lol.

Caesar SYN
12-01-2003, 01:13 PM
BRO GET IT!! Trust me... I have seen many players thanking me for taking this advice... JUST DO IT...

RudedogX
12-01-2003, 01:15 PM
I got it at launch. I'm not sure I'd get it this late after launch, but it never hurts. It almost came in handy for me when I got a few DDEs, but then I just cleaned out my XBox, and I was good to go.

Peepers
12-01-2003, 01:21 PM
As I mentioned earlier, you are statistically more likely to never use your warranty than you are to use it. As a general rule, therefore, you should not buy the warranty. However, everyone has to weigh the risks they assume.

Extremely wealthy people often only buy liability insurance, for example, and they "self-insure" their own vehicles. They do this because, statistically speaking, buying insurance will only lose you money: but not everyone can afford to take on the risks that these wealthy individuals assume, so you must make up your own mind based on your situation. Can you afford to drop another $170 (or whatever it is now) if this one breaks?

Variation-XBA
12-01-2003, 02:19 PM
You've gone through 2 and your still wondering if you should?

long live exchange warranties!

MikeMan91389
12-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Heh... I'd do it, if u have the thompson drive

Xelcier
12-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Make that 3 xboxs LMAO. Took it back again this time got one straight off the truck at walmart.(work there) so I got it right off the rig. Its a Samsung!!! Woohoo.

Ill still get the warranty. The way I see it of I get any issues 50 bucks would be worth it. It may not have issue for 2 years but I just cant see that. Since I use mine daily and to watch movies ill have to get the warranty to protect it!

The Xbox in are store is a samsung and it stays on 24/7 and we have had it awhile. Still kicking :D

Viper87227
12-01-2003, 07:23 PM
how do you even tell if you have a Thomson drive? What models are then in?

Peepers
12-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227
how do you even tell if you have a Thomson drive? What models are then in?

WHen you open the DVD drive look at the shape of the tray. If the thing is a big U, then it's a Thompson. If it looks like a lightbulb shape, it's a Samsung, and if it has two little holes it's a Phillips. I've seen pictures floating around. Do a search and you'll find one.

JB20_2003
12-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey I have the Thompson Drive in my xbox and I have had it for a year and a half now and so far nothing has gone wrong with it. My xbox has been running amazingly...

DocHoliday78
12-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Peepers
As I mentioned earlier, you are statistically more likely to never use your warranty than you are to use it. As a general rule, therefore, you should not buy the warranty. However, everyone has to weigh the risks they assume.

Extremely wealthy people often only buy liability insurance, for example, and they "self-insure" their own vehicles. They do this because, statistically speaking, buying insurance will only lose you money: but not everyone can afford to take on the risks that these wealthy individuals assume, so you must make up your own mind based on your situation. Can you afford to drop another $170 (or whatever it is now) if this one breaks?

Well its only 50 bucks, so why not. Your xbox would be covered untill the beginning of 2006. Isnt that the estimated dates for the next gen systems to come out?