PDA

View Full Version : New Halo 2 Multiplayer info (unreliable but good)

E Nomini Patri
12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Here is the article from GameDreamZ (http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=202):

Looks like Christmas is coming early to Gamedreamz! Santa Hog has finished his list of whose been naughty and nice; and determined you all deserve a lump of coal the size of Cape Cod!! Sadly I don’t have enough of those. So what does the Hedgehog have in mind for you all? Two Words, “HALO 2 MULTIPLAYER”! Now seeing as none of you deserve this news I’ll give it to you all on one condition. That no one asks or contemplates who I had to beat, bribe, stock, or sleep with in order to get this intel, OK?

Practice Your Wort Worting!
First up is the slickest of the news bits, Halo 2 will have an online mode called Covenant vs. Humans. As it sounds, this mode pits one side of players, playing Elites, against their opponents, the Spartans! Even more drool worthy, is the news that these online missions will tie in directly to the single player story. I’m not exactly sure what that means, but my own theory is that these online missions will move in tandem with the Chief’s storyline. So gamers online will be fighting their way to the Covenant Cruiser in Mombassa as the Spartans, while the Elites try to halt their advance!

The Hedgehog’s Take- Sorry Masochists, you can’t play as a Grunt!

The Most Primo Real Estate in the Galaxy!
Please allow me to put all your fears to rest. “Blood Gulch” is back for Halo 2 and better than ever! Bungie is apparently keeping the overall feel of the map intact, but making some slight modifications to cope with Halo 2’s larger battles. I can’t go into details, but expect the bases to get some upgraded defenses, and the size of the map to be increased overall.

I’m told several other favorite maps from the original Halo will be returning as well, but the only specific one I could get was Blood Gulch.

The Hedgehog’s Take- That box canyon has come a long ways for a field that never was supposed to even be in the original Halo.

Nights Out, Lights Out!
You didn’t think that new Lighting Engine of Bungie’s was just for the single player game did you? Seems many if not all of Halo 2’s multiplayer maps will have changeable lighting conditions, so you can play them in the dark or in the light! This should be especially sick on the outdoor maps!

The Hedgehog’s Take- Hey Cammy, want to go for a moonlit ride through Blood Gulch in my Warthog!?

No Time to Make MC Angles in the Snow!
As if variable time’s of day wasn’t enough, some maps will apparently have variable WEATHER effects too! Bungie’s toying around with this idea in order to give the multiplayer maps more depth in how they affect gameplay. Snow in the air could decrease visibility, torrential rains may make driving a nightmare, and I wouldn’t want to be flying a Banshee in a thunder storm.

The Hedgehog’s Take- Grunties roasting on an open fire, Plasma bolts nipping at your nose! Come on everyone sing along!

Truly, The War of The Worlds.
Obviously for a game as HUGE as Halo 2 a normal ranking system simply would not do! While I don’t know all the details I know that their will be clan support, and all the other standards, but my source hinted at something bigger. As if the results of games online could affect the very outcome of the war between Humanity and The Covenant. Perhaps gamers will be able to shape the future of Halo 2’s online content depending on which side wins more online battles.

The Hedgehog’s take- I actually know more than that, but Bungie will sick their flaming Ninjas on me if I say anymore!

Ok, I know this isn't from Bungie, but Ed Fries said we will likely hear some info on Halo 2's Multiplayer by the end of the year. I think the information sounds somewhat valid, but can only be confirmed by Bungie. So don't trust or hope until Bungie opens its mouth.

Voodoo_Vince
12-01-2003, 06:49 PM
This news is sorta new , most of that info is in The EGM Halo 2 coverage, So I am hoping for more Info , but some new stuff has arisen in that article

So if Halo comes out April 1st thats five months away, and is Spring 2004 , I have read march also but always Spring, so thats really close ,

Kronicle
12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Pretty nice info man. All I knew was better graphics, new guns and couple vehicles...and ..that's it, lol. Really lookin foward to weather and lighting effects. :cheers:

Peepers
12-01-2003, 07:23 PM
That's nice.

Here are things from the original Halo that I hope they keep intact:

1. Split-screen on-line gaming. Sure you can play with your friends on seperate TV's or in seperate houses, but that doesn't offer quite the same comradery as when you're sharing a couch and a bag a Fritos.

2. Spartan v. Spartan equal spawning: One of the great things about Halo was that the playing field was always equal. With the exception of slight camo advantages and flag postition advantages for the red or blue team, both sides were completely even at the start. I hope that is maintained as it leads to a level of versataility that is not possible when one side has a specialization (as Spartans or Elites might have).

3. It's good that they're updating Blood Gulch, but I would also like to see a Blood Gulch Classic, where only the graphics are updated.

E Nomini Patri
12-01-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm sure Bungie knows how important split screen was to the success of Halo, so expect them to keep all the game selling features of the original like system link, co-op, and split screen. Remember this: Bungie knows how to make games good ;)

xbox genius
12-01-2003, 07:57 PM
yea some of this info feels old. but thats cool how they tie the multiplayer online to the single player story, i just hope they have many campaign missions in multiplayer and more different objectives in multiplayer.

monster1234
12-01-2003, 08:07 PM
I don't know what to think about this.

Donnie_B
12-01-2003, 08:22 PM
I'm looking for something surprising. Shock me.

I want to hear about a red, blue, yellow, and green team. And tell me that you can make your own caves and pathways (with a rocket for example) in blood gulch. Hell, tell me I can make my own map. Arrrgh. :cuss:

Sorry, I get a little wired when Halo 2 comes up. I cant get any info and the speculation is killin me.

:) Im better now.

Brasco

bretman1234
12-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsFanMan
Santa Hog has finished his list of whose been naughty and nice; and determined you all deserve a lump of coal the size of Cape Cod!!
Hey I live on cape cod and its a lot bigger than you think!

E Nomini Patri
12-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Donnie_B
tell me that you can make your own caves and pathways (with a rocket for example) in blood gulch.

Well I wouldn't expect there to be Geo-Mod in the game, but there is environmental damage like throw a grenade it makes a crater type things, and you can destroy objects made of weaker material like wood or plastic. But who knows, maybe you can take out buildings with a tank! (don't expect that last part to be true :) )

E Nomini Patri
12-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by bretman1234

Hehe, sorry to offend you by posting that part of the article :)

I've been to Cape Cod before, but I don't remember it I was too little.

Peepers
12-01-2003, 10:05 PM
I'm sure Bungie knows how important split screen was to the success of Halo, so expect them to keep all the game selling features of the original like system link, co-op, and split screen. Remember this: Bungie knows how to make games good ;)

I'm not too confident that they do know how important split screen online play was. A lot of dev's seem to think it's no longer important or desirable on XBL. I haven't seen to many split screen FPS's on Live--UC in the only one I can think of.

silvertrace
12-02-2003, 09:04 AM
i saw some guy post this at txb and get hella flamed because they said information was old and founded on numerous rumors

funny how a our forum community perceives information like this

anyways, there are supposed to be destructable levels.....but i'm thinking its already predetermined $hit on a map (in a city level blowing up columns will make a roof fall down, and my money is on it being mostly a single player aspect)

but we can hope, i just dont want another 11/15 fiasco

Stiner169
12-02-2003, 10:19 AM
how many maps do you think that halo 2 is going to have for mutplayer, and are they going to have the bantachs. like in the PC version??

Xarcell
12-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Almost sounds too good to be true.

If it wasn't bungie developing the game, I'd say it was bongus.

I'm looking forward to Halo 2...

-Xarcell

silvertrace
12-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Xarcell
Almost sounds too good to be true.

If it wasn't bungie developing the game, I'd say it was bongus.

I'm looking forward to Halo 2...

-Xarcell

yeah NC in da house....what part playya

i'm in goldsboro

Hard Boiled Cop
12-02-2003, 11:24 AM

Well I wouldn't expect there to be Geo-Mod in the game, but there is environmental damage like throw a grenade it makes a crater type things, and you can destroy objects made of weaker material like wood or plastic. But who knows, maybe you can take out buildings with a tank! (don't expect that last part to be true :) )

I agree with you apart from the last bit. Wait actually it might happen in mulitplayer mode. Anyway the environment is not going to be fully destructible, you can destroy small bridges so that it collapses on the enemy. The enemy can even destroy stuff to use as cover for themselves (I heard this from a magazine that interviewed them). This will make it challenging. The multiplayer should have this type of destructible environment.

thrAsher
12-02-2003, 12:50 PM
The Hedgehog’s Take- Sorry Masochists, you can’t play as a Grunt!

NOOOOOOOoooooooo.......!

This better be BS. Serious, I so wanna be able to play a Grunt. Come on Bungie, throw me a freakin' bone, won't ya?

Hard Boiled Cop
12-02-2003, 02:31 PM
If you get a mod xbox then you can play as a grunt by touching the enemy and of a push of a button you will pocess the grunt's body. The covenant won't even notice. You can play as Elites as well.

Hard Boiled Cop
12-02-2003, 02:32 PM
^this is for Halo 1 obviously. Just trying to clear a few points

dances with broom sticks
12-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Hard Boiled Cop
^this is for Halo 1 obviously. Just trying to clear a few points

There is an edit button... no need for a double post, plus this might be borderline breaking the rules of mod talk...

The info sounds cool, I cant wait to play, but they should have split screen live play, cuz there was nothing like having 4 people sittin around playing on XBC... It made the game more fun, even if the screen was smaller

Hard Boiled Cop
12-02-2003, 03:00 PM
^alright, cool. I just watched this type of stuff on a demo disc. Haven't got a mod so don't worry.

E Nomini Patri
12-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Stiner169
how many maps do you think that halo 2 is going to have for mutplayer, and are they going to have the bantachs. like in the PC version??

I have no idea how many maps there will be.

And yes, there will be Banshees in multiplayer, along with a new human flying vehicle. It's in the EGM Halo 2 special.

E Nomini Patri
12-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Peepers

I'm not too confident that they do know how important split screen online play was. A lot of dev's seem to think it's no longer important or desirable on XBL. I haven't seen to many split screen FPS's on Live--UC in the only one I can think of.

I wasn't really talking about Xbox Live cause that wasn't exactly a selling point of Halo ;) but I wouldn't expect there to be guests, but you never know. Just wait till they release info.

RagunCajun
12-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Here is the article from I’m told several other favorite maps from the original Halo will be returning as well, but the only specific one I could get was Blood Gulch.
god ******. I'm pissed. I hate bungie now.:cuss:

AM Static
12-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by bretman1234

Cool, my grandparents live in Centerville, like 5 minutes from Hyannis. :p

Thats new info to me and sounds prettty legit too. I had to laugh at the weather and night/day part though, thats what I suggested a few weeks ago. :cheers:

E Nomini Patri
12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun

Did you not read up at the tope where I said that the info isn't to be trusted until Bungie confirms it?

MikeMan91389
12-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Guys Guys Guys,, We'll just have to wait for a demo, conformation, or the game its self... But keep up the chatter... im gettin pumped!

JJaX
12-03-2003, 09:59 PM
I recall a loooooooong time ago, they wanted larger campaign like muliplayer battles in halo.

And they plan on getting it done in halo 2. We can only pray.

JJaX
12-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun

I dont see why the people that play the hell out of halo dislike blood gulch.

Its an amazing map, and often times makes for the most fun.

E Nomini Patri
12-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389
We'll just have to wait for a demo

Honestly, stop talking about a playable Halo 2 demo before the game is released. I might just be forced to dismiss the quality of logic intertwined through the confines of your brain. :rolleyes:

monster1234
12-04-2003, 02:57 PM
I don't know how true this is, but if it is, it's about the only good stuff that I've heard of all the new things.

mattgame
12-04-2003, 03:10 PM
All of that sounded good, it really did, but my guess is that it is premature. I would guess that Halo 2 will be the launch title for the next Xbox.:mad:

MikeMan91389
12-04-2003, 04:20 PM

Honestly, stop talking about a playable Halo 2 demo before the game is released. I might just be forced to dismiss the quality of logic intertwined through the confines of your brain. :rolleyes:

Wow... too bad i didnt say that... ummm...

We'll just have to wait for a demo, conformation, or the game itself

Sounds to me like i got across the point that maybe there wouldnt be a demo

ShadowWolf
12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Halo 2 is gonna kick ass. I can't wait ^^

Hard Boiled Cop
12-04-2003, 04:53 PM
There's not going to be a playable demo of Halo 2 and you know it. They haven't released any other pics of Halo 2 since the Teaser, except for the two covenant guarding a door but apart from that nothing so exciting. They're going to release the game before they release the demo. They just want people like us to wait for it. It increases tension and desire and they're doing a damn good job at it!

E Nomini Patri
12-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
I would guess that Halo 2 will be the launch title for the next Xbox.:mad:

They won't do that. They're gonna release it early next year unless there is a delay, but that is unlikely to happen.

MikeMan, read the pm's you sent me and tell me you didn't say there's going to be a Halo 2 demo...

SmileBit
12-04-2003, 07:01 PM
I would be excited to. The last big XBox game until all of you morons get an XBox 2 with Halo 3 on it.

mattgame
12-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Let's do the math. It's taken over two years for the next Halo to even say it may come out. The next Xbox is slated to come out in 2005 or 2006. It's not enough time for Halo3 to be the title for the launch date. Therefore, it will more than likely be Halo2. They'll come up with some crap like someone stole the codes or something.

RagunCajun
12-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

I dont see why the people that play the hell out of halo dislike blood gulch.

Its an amazing map, and often times makes for the most fun.
Yeah its a good map, but very very very played out online. The onlything people do in ctf bg is run across the level and die over and over. I never(im serious) seen a team with a strat on that level. If they were to bring back a map, it does make the most sense to bring back bg. It is the most popular map.

And to whoever, yeah i seen dont trust it. I know EVERYTHING isnt certain for halo 2.

E Nomini Patri
12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
Let's do the math. It's taken over two years for the next Halo to even say it may come out. The next Xbox is slated to come out in 2005 or 2006. It's not enough time for Halo3 to be the title for the launch date. Therefore, it will more than likely be Halo2. They'll come up with some crap like someone stole the codes or something.

I'm not going to waste my time with you anymore, sorry, but you're logic is flawed beyond repair. I need some pudding...

RagunCajun
12-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Hahaha, instresting.

DDR2theEXTREME
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
dude, u gotta have faith