PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Play Halo

CO1
12-31-2001, 07:33 AM
For the love of God someone please come out with a mouse and keyboard for the XBox. I promise I won't call it a PC. I love FPS and I have around 60 for PC but I don't think I will buy another FPS for the XBox until I am able to actually control the game. When I try to play Halo you would swear that the character in the game is drunk or something because all my actions are the opposite of what I'm trying to do. I'm no newbie, I've been playing games since Pong but I've been using a mouse and keyboard for so long in FPS that using a game pad is like trying to write with your opposite hand. Ever break your right arm and have to wipe your ass with your left hand.......same thing just not as messy. If you could assign the individual buttons to specific functions I would have some control but with the couple of different setups for the controller I'm like a tard on a sugar rush. I know some of you are saying who cares and stop whining but I care because as I said before I love FPS and Halo looks like a great game. Oh well enough of my *****ing. Happy New Year to everyone. BTW Bill did you know that you can use game pads with a PC? Hell you even make some! So much for the mouse theory and the XBox. PLEASE!!!

VAN
12-31-2001, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by CO1
When I try to play Halo you would swear that the character in the game is drunk or something because all my actions are the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

Even us console veterans had to spend some time adjusting to the control scheme of Halo.

Sounds like what you need to do is invert the controls. At the very start of the game you are given the option to test out inverted controls. Did you not try that?

You can also modify the controls to suit your needs via the options screen at the main menu.

Hang in there. Once you get the hang of it, the controls will become second nature and you'll realize that they are quite brilliant, in fact.

*If you think the Master Chief is hard to learn to control, wait until ya get to the Warthog. :D

CO1
12-31-2001, 08:05 AM
Funny thing is I don't have much problem controlling the Warthog. I have tried inverting the controls but I still can't get it. If I could assign the movement to the buttons (forward, back and strafe) and just use the stick for aimming I think I would be OK. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I can do this. It really sucks because guys that I simple destroy in PC LAN game are kicking my butt in Halo. Perhaps if I actually get drunk I might be able to play straight or atleast I wouldn't mind so much. Anyone heard if any company is working on a mouse and keyboard?

xBoXGaMeR2002
12-31-2001, 08:42 AM
It takes quite a while to get used to if you have no experience at it, but don't worry you'll get it, and before you know it, you'll be playing like a pro.

MagicChicken
12-31-2001, 09:46 AM
I've been playing 1st person shooters for quite a while, and I've played with the very best UT players... like many FPS gamers I thought a gamepad was a no-no for a game like halo

fortunately I was wrong :D

kudos to MS for designing such a great controller and to bungie for making it work so well in halo

I use the inverted controller with the "boxer" buttons (kept throwing grenades during intense melee combat)

just keep practicing... I started playingh with a lower camera setting and increased it as I became better and better

CO1
12-31-2001, 10:56 AM
It's not that I'm not used to game pads, I've had just about every console since the Atari 2600, I just feel a mouse and keyboard offer better control in FPS. I guess I will just keep practicing. Thanks guys.

preetz16
12-31-2001, 02:34 PM
Yeah I agree completely. Even though I can control the game just fine, or good enough to beat the campaign part, still really wish there was a mouse and keyboard for Xbox. As I play there are so many places in which I KNOW it would be easier if I had a mouse to look with. I'll be mad if Microsoft remains stubborn and won't release a mouse and keyboard because it's to much like a PC. If you ask me this whole staying away from being called a PC thing is stupid, would any of you not have bought an Xbox if it sort of resembled a PC...Hell no...Maybe I just don't understand. However, to Bungie's credit, I belive that the control scheme for Halo is the best possible scheme that you can have for a console FPS. I hope Medal of Honor: Allied Assault uses this exact same structure.

~PReetz16

monkeyman
12-31-2001, 03:12 PM
i like the controllers how they are:D

Plewis
12-31-2001, 05:44 PM
great insite there monkey:o :D

shannon22
12-31-2001, 11:18 PM
I really don't understand what is so hard, the left control stick moves foward, backward, left, and right. The right control stick looks around kinda like the c buttons in turok.

but the controls are hard to master keep tying:)

Sodacider
01-01-2002, 03:04 PM
CO if your gonna give up w/o playing 30 minutes of the first level, then be like that.

But if you've honestly played 60 FPS for PC, you should have been used to Halo's interface after 10.

It took me 30 minutes to get completely used to the controls. I don't play FPS on computer or consoles (my last console was a SNES). I also have jack for hand eye coordination.

Yet here I am. ;) Beaten the game three times, starting with heroic, then twice on Legendary (that ending movie is cool... Hold me).

CO1
01-01-2002, 11:57 PM
Oh I'm way past the first level but I don't like feeling that I don't have total control. I'm much more proficient with a mouse and keyboard. You seriously wouldn't want to play me in a PC LAN game unless you would like listening to me gloat. It just bothers me when people that I can easily beat are able to whip me when I use a game pad in a FPS. I'm thinking about taking some time of work and locking myself in a room with Halo until I have mastered the controller. I have 15 games for the XBox and besides Halo I have no problem playing the other 14. I have joysticks, game pads and steering wheels for my PC and as I said I have had just about every console so it's not that I'm not used to using other peripherals but I've always used a keyboard and mouse for FPS. Why? Better control. No one will ever convince me other wise. I guess until someone comes out with a mouse and keyboard for the XBox I will just have to get used to it. Don't worry I won't give up.

Sodacider
01-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Maybe you should toy with the options. I find perfect control at level 7 turn speed, maybe you didn't know those options were there. Other than that I seriously just don't understand the problem, cuz I personally find it so much easier to use a gamepad for this game.

MaxPain
01-02-2002, 12:10 AM
I agree 100%, for FPS a mouse and keyboard are obsiously the best for aiming and control. This was also difficult for me to get used to, I've got it totally backwards to :D , I'm left handed and I got the right stick for aiming, try that haha but once I got used to that it was easy,

Sodacider
01-02-2002, 12:52 AM
By the way, if your left handed, try the left handed control setting. I dunno if it works lol I'm not left handed.

StudioAlex
01-02-2002, 09:49 AM
I don't want the mouse and keyboard to come out because then all the people using it will destroy me in deathmatch!