PDA

View Full Version : My how time fly’s ~RANT~

Brevity
12-02-2003, 01:34 PM
I was just thinking about some up in coming games and it struck me how I have totally changed how I buy games. See to me the trouble with games (not just now days but since they started having endings) is that some ~check that~ most are way to short. I got like a whole new plan for buying games now, I see how long they are then decide if I should buy them. I cant tell you all the money I have wasted buying games that really should have just been rented and beaten quickly. For real there is a list a mile long of games that I totally regretted buying simple because I beat it in under ten hours, hell I think twenty hour games are not worth it anymore. Including Dead To Rights, Boulders Gate: DA, Max Pain, Wario, Mario Sunshine, and there are many more. This is all to say that they are not worth buying, * unless they have some kind of killer multi player aspect. * Like Ghost Recon which I can beat easy in under four hours. In my opinion games should last a over twenty hours at least, IMO that’s not really even that long. I am a big fan of some RPG’s that like FFX which took me 70+ hours, Kingdom Hearts 56 hours, I say that so you can see that I am a big fan of REALLY long games, hell I put 700+ hours into FFXI.

I only bring all this up because there are some games that I so would buy and still might but I am hearing that Ninja and Dues are both short games. That really bothers me since I figure like most games like this I will be really into them and totally involved in the plot and BAM the end. I at least hope they will have some replay value like unlockable stuff. And not lame stuff like a different color suit or what not.

To also look at the other side I have a friend OTHOS that totally loves short games and will not hardly touch a longer game. I think he has ADD, might be the reason. But he loves to buy them beat them quick and then sale or trade them over the net. Its all some kind of engrossing process for him, each part of which he loves. Meaning that he really likes trading and selling games too. But I wonder your thoughts on this.

Peepers
12-02-2003, 01:39 PM
I agree with you that games are getting to short. It's hard to justify dropping $50 on a 10 hr. game. The only games I really play anymore are sports games, RPG's, and games with good multiplayer modes. Those are the only games that I can put enough time into to actually justify the purchase.

thrAsher
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm w/ you 100%. I'm a big fan of RPG's just because generally they take a long time to beat. And when I pay $50 for a game, I expect to sit down w/ that game a number of times before I'm done w/ it. Of late, the only game I've bought that I haven't beaten over a weekend is Gladius. As it stands, I'm at 30+ hours and just about 10 hours from the mid-point of the game. While it may not be the most exciting, heart racing game ever, or the prettiest, or cleverest, I absolutely love the game and the boys over at Lucas Arts for making the game seem like an epic w/ deep customization and variety.

So, yeah, screw those short games. While I loved playing Prince of Persia, I'd never buy it because it's just too dang short. Gimme another Morrowind anytime.

Brevity
12-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Right on GBA right now I got 60+ hours into Orge Tactics, I love the game and when I am out its where I am at. I liked games like Metroid Fusion for it but I beat it in like 6 hours. What I want to bring up is that this is across the board; all systems big and small suffer from to many short games. When I sit here and think of all the games that I have gotten and beat with in even a week I wonder what I was thinking buying them in the first place.

I think the game makers should all adopt a standard of putting an average time estimated to beat their game. So ppl who want a fast game can grab it and ppl who want a long one can grab the right one too. I know this will never happen since some ppl have to play for years to beat a simple game and so you cant say it takes X number of hours to beat this or that game. Also it would kill their sales if ppl knew that their games could be beat in such a low amount of time. But hay it would raise rental sales. hehe

Servo
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM
I too also have alot of games i regret buying and a friend who beats his games then sells them the next day.

AlphaCigara
12-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Totally agree with ya mate. As a big rpg gamer, those and bargain bin games (ie ones less than 10 bucks) are the only games i'll buy any more. the only exceptions are games with a hellofalot of replayability, like Halo, Rainbow 6 3, etc.

dances with broom sticks
12-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
Right on GBA right now I got 60+ hours into Orge Tactics, I love the game and when I am out its where I am at. I liked games like Metroid Fusion for it but I beat it in like 6 hours. What I want to bring up is that this is across the board; all systems big and small suffer from to many short games. When I sit here and think of all the games that I have gotten and beat with in even a week I wonder what I was thinking buying them in the first place.

I think the game makers should all adopt a standard of putting an average time estimated to beat their game. So ppl who want a fast game can grab it and ppl who want a long one can grab the right one too. I know this will never happen since some ppl have to play for years to beat a simple game and so you cant say it takes X number of hours to beat this or that game. Also it would kill their sales if ppl knew that their games could be beat in such a low amount of time. But hay it would raise rental sales. hehe

Orge Tactics? I was never a big fan on the SNES, or the PSX.... But I currently have about 60+ as well on Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced on the GBA.

I agree, games need to be long, and have stuff to do that isnt the main story. Thats whats so great about a RPG, you could rush through the game quick, but you would miss SOOOO much.

ShadowWolf
12-02-2003, 04:26 PM
I agree too, games are getting too short. Halo was a short game, but it has so many things you can do, it easily has over 40 hours of gameplay. Morrowind is a great game, and even after beating it, you can do many things in it. FFX is another great game.

T-FiNGeR
12-02-2003, 04:30 PM
You do have a point BUT now a days there is XBL... and XBL can easily rob 100 hours from you like nothing!(if you pick the right game)... I agree that ALOT of single player games are too short but meh... :eek:

ShaDovV RyDer
12-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by T-FiNGeR
You do have a point BUT now a days there is XBL... and XBL can easily rob 100 hours from you like nothing!(if you pick the right game)... I agree that ALOT of single player games are too short but meh... :eek:

i was about to say the same thing trigga...with x-box live now those r the only types of games that i would buy if i was u...i mean they go on for ever (or as long as u keep XBL)...the only exception to not getting ne of the XBL games out there is if u flat out dont like the game or if the game has not even decent multiplayer...

as for me i have games like Zelda, Metroid Fusion, and Mario Shunshine that really disappionted me because of how good they were yet how short they were...they were just sayin on X-Play today that games like Beyond Good and Evil r like great games out there because u get immersed in them but most of the time it is at the end when u finally get completly attached to ur character...and with no multiplayer on most platformers...they all have become just a rental for me....ne ways i agree with u guys 100% and i also no ppl that like having short games and then trading them in within a week...pce

T-FiNGeR
12-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Also now there are games that are not XBL enabled BUT they are Xbox Live Downloadable Content. Games like "Splinter Cell" are single player and have a medium length gameplay value BUT there have been 3 new missions added to the XBL download centre! If you dont like any XBL games then look for XBL downloadable content games(still require XBL to dl)..

skorp
12-02-2003, 08:11 PM
I know what you mean... But also...

I don't really think I can judge my purchases on mostly just the length of the games... But I think they should price games depending on replay ability...

For fast (to beat) games like mostly FPS's for example have constant action which I think takes a shorter time to finish thats why I just try to take my time and explore every stage of the game and enjoy the experience. Games like this though should be sold for less. But some games like Dues Ex and even Ninja Gaiden to name a few are hard to refuse purchases and not just for rent for an expected shorter type of game...

Other than longer games or replayable games (Multiplayer and or Live enabled) like some FPS, Sports, etc... RPG's seem longer because almost 50% of the time in the game the characters are talking and they show alot of cut scenes as well... Most RPG's are really good but some I played I was literaly dozing off and it was 1 pm in the afternoon!

I want "any"game with good game-play and good graphics of course!!!:D

Brevity
12-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by skorp
I know what you mean... But also...

I don't really think I can judge my purchases on mostly just the length of the games... But I think they should price games depending on replay ability...

For fast (to beat) games like mostly FPS's for example have constant action which I think takes a shorter time to finish thats why I just try to take my time and explore every stage of the game and enjoy the experience. Games like this though should be sold for less. But some games like Dues Ex and even Ninja Gaiden to name a few are hard to refuse purchases and not just for rent for an expected shorter type of game...

Other than longer games or replayable games (Multiplayer and or Live enabled) like some FPS, Sports, etc... RPG's seem longer because almost 50% of the time in the game the characters are talking and they show alot of cut scenes as well... Most RPG's are really good but some I played I was literaly dozing off and it was 1 pm in the afternoon!

I want "any"game with good game-play and good graphics of course!!!:D
Actually a good idea. But again it would hurt their sales I think if they did this.

Xelcier
12-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Yep same here.

I RENT games now and buy if I see more value past the 5 day rent. Most the games I beat I never buy.

I bought True Crimes yet its a great game. Pretty long and always fun to run around in that game.

I will ALWAYS rent first.

Deus Ex 2 isnt to short either. Plus since each action has different play styles and not to mention 4 different possible endings through factions and missions you can play all in one game.

Im buying Dues Ex2 for sure.