PDA

View Full Version : dvd remote

ice
12-31-2001, 11:31 AM
Anyone tried to use a universal remote to work for the dvd function?

I bought the xbox dvd kit, but I use one remote for all my equipment (tv, reciever, satt, etc.) and would like to program it.

Most remotes have a learn mode that lets you alt thru codes till it turns the piece of equipment off. The xbox dvd remote does not have a power control (no on/off), so that wont work.

Was hoping someone else maybe manually went thru the codes to find a compatable one (say, like a Panasonic code) that performs the functions of the xbox remote.

TIA

XBA Staff
12-31-2001, 11:34 AM
I don't play DVDs on my Xbox so I would'nt know.

Tazilla
12-31-2001, 11:37 AM
I have heard of several people using a RCA remote with their Xbox.
The remote that comes with the DVD playback kit looks exactly like a RCA remote with different colored buttons.

So if you have a remote that is universal and has DVD functions,.. try programming it for a RCA DVD player and see what you come up with,..

pak chooie unf

JAC
12-31-2001, 01:48 PM
We have a couple of universals in the house and may end up trying that one day. For now though, since we know we'd have to use some "learning" functions, and we don't watch many dvd's we'll stick with swapping out for the occasional movie we watch.

Frostberg
12-31-2001, 02:19 PM
Tazilla is correct, I have like 6 or 7 remotes so I wanted to get rid of the XBox remote and programming it to my TV remote, which has a dad function and using the RCA manufacturer codes work fine. You can go to walmart and get a cheap universal remote, just make sure it has a DVD button and on the back it lists RCA as one on the manufacturers...its weird because I have a Sony TV and Sony Receiver and on the remotes they both have DVD buttons, but the receiver remote doesnt have any codes for RCA, yet the TV remote does...

egg
12-31-2001, 02:35 PM
Right out of the box, my RCA worked with the Xbox...

JAC
01-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by egg
Right out of the box, my RCA worked with the Xbox...

Thanks. That's good to know. We may end up having to do something like that to make things a little easier on us too. ;)

¿J£Dì Mª$T£R?
01-01-2002, 12:51 PM
If you don't know the codes for your remote, you may want to contact the manufacturer of your remote control to find out, also... assuming you know the manufacturer and didn't throw out the code list!!!

:eek:

manchufu
01-01-2002, 04:57 PM
Yea, i tried a RCA code, and it works on my Zenith universal remote